Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
After having sticker shock from the cost of the oem and aftermarket bedside tool boxes I stumbled upon these at Menards today. I kicked around making something, then looked at military surplus cans. For under $25 bucks I got two 27 Quart clear containers plus a slim plastic water tight container ( size of a 30 caliber ammo can) and 2 bungie cords. Each fits in between the tie down hooks in the back of the bed. Being clear I can find stuff easier. One has a 30 ft 3 inch tow strap, jumper cables, trailer hitch, the ammo can filled with tools (7/16-7/8 wrenches, adjustable wrench, adjustable pliers, 2 screw drivers, a box set of bits and driver, 6 piece nut driver kit, set of Allen wrenches, ear plugs, safety glasses, zip ties, electrical tape and more) winter hat and gloves, a pair of mechanic gloves some Mason twine, Para cord pruners, I probably forgot more. The other has a 10x12 tarp, 1st aid kit, spare phone charger, an led trouble light 110v with 6'cord and a 10' extension cord, hand warmers and other items. My Lariat came with a 110v inverter so I can use the trouble light. Bungie cord across a corner of the lid to keep it on if the bed cover is open plus it keeps the totes in place. I looked at sturdier tool boxes at Menards but they are shorter and either much smaller or much bigger and the tie down straps would be a pain.

I had some leftover nylon strap and made 6 loops to attach ratchet or sinch straps to without having to climb into the back of the bed especially. Also put my spare fluorescent orange Sheriff traffic vest behind the back seat. Kept my ash tray (cup holder style) from my F150 and put my loose change in it and put it in the driver's door pocket. I used to keep all that change in my door handle.

Also shrank and installed my adjustable cargo bar and put it behind the middle tie down hooks to keep small items from rolling around.

20190809_135248.jpg

20190809_135254.jpg

20190809_135253.jpg

20190809_135301.jpg
Sponsored

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Content Provider For SPAM
Vehicle Showcase
Great compact storage.;)
I am by no means an "OCD" person but I find by using rubber strap tiedowns, without protective rubber
end(s), will result in scratching/wearing down and through the protective paint on the Ranger tie points and rusting. A simple solution is to apply/wrap silicone tape to both the tie points and tie down straps.

On another note - Polypropylene (Sterilite) storage boxes in direct sunlight - according to Gupta,
North Carolina State University, polypropylene fibers can only withstand approximately 6 days exposure to high-intensity UV light before losing 70% of their strength. In your case, you have a Tonneau cover for protection, but others might not. Choosing plastics for outside use, you have to be extremely weary of sunlight UV exposure or buy plastic containers that are UV resistant. Otherwise, they will break, crack and fall apart IMHO.;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fawnbuster

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Yes I am clear on the uv rays, that's why I have the bed cover closed all the time. It's an inexpensive plan for now as I needed to get the stuff out of the way in the garage and into the truck. Will still keep my eyes open.

Great compact storage.;)
I am by no means an "OCD" person but I find by using rubber strap tiedowns, without protective rubber
end(s), will result in scratching/wearing down and through the protective paint on the Ranger tie points and rusting. A simple solution is to apply/wrap silicone tape to both the tie points and tie down straps.

On another note - Polypropylene (Sterilite) storage boxes in direct sunlight - according to Gupta,
North Carolina State University, polypropylene fibers can only withstand approximately 6 days exposure to high-intensity UV light before losing 70% of their strength. In your case, you have a Tonneau cover for protection, but others might not. Choosing plastics for outside use, you have to be extremely weary of sunlight UV exposure or buy plastic containers that are UV resistant. Otherwise, they will break, crack and fall apart IMHO.;)

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
After having sticker shock from the cost of the oem and aftermarket bedside tool boxes I stumbled upon these at Menards today. I kicked around making something, then looked at military surplus cans. For under $25 bucks I got two 27 Quart clear containers plus a slim plastic water tight container ( size of a 30 caliber ammo can) and 2 bungie cords. Each fits in between the tie down hooks in the back of the bed. Being clear I can find stuff easier. One has a 30 ft 3 inch tow strap, jumper cables, trailer hitch, the ammo can filled with tools (7/16-7/8 wrenches, adjustable wrench, adjustable pliers, 2 screw drivers, a box set of bits and driver, 6 piece nut driver kit, set of Allen wrenches, ear plugs, safety glasses, zip ties, electrical tape and more) winter hat and gloves, a pair of mechanic gloves some Mason twine, Para cord pruners, I probably forgot more. The other has a 10x12 tarp, 1st aid kit, spare phone charger, an led trouble light 110v with 6'cord and a 10' extension cord, hand warmers and other items. My Lariat came with a 110v inverter so I can use the trouble light. Bungie cord across a corner of the lid to keep it on if the bed cover is open plus it keeps the totes in place. I looked at sturdier tool boxes at Menards but they are shorter and either much smaller or much bigger and the tie down straps would be a pain.

I had some leftover nylon strap and made 6 loops to attach ratchet or sinch straps to without having to climb into the back of the bed especially. Also put my spare fluorescent orange Sheriff traffic vest behind the back seat. Kept my ash tray (cup holder style) from my F150 and put my loose change in it and put it in the driver's door pocket. I used to keep all that change in my door handle.

Also shrank and installed my adjustable cargo bar and put it behind the middle tie down hooks to keep small items from rolling around.

20190809_135248.jpg

20190809_135254.jpg

20190809_135253.jpg

20190809_135301.jpg
I'm with ya brother on the sticker shock thing w/storage options. Though I have used that brand and only had problems in the extreme winter that plastic becomes brittle. Take a look at these, they are more industrial and still way cheaper than a lot of stuff I've looked at. I have not made a decision on the size yet but I will post some pix when I configure it...I DO have OCD and I will definitely over-think the whole thing..
https://www.zoro.com/quantum-storag...n-w-gray-rso2415-7/i/G4030171/#specifications

OP
OP
Fawnbuster

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks I will give those a look have to check the sizes. And I agree on brittle, just needed a starting point for a solution.
I'm with ya brother on the sticker shock thing w/storage options. Though I have used that brand and only had problems in the extreme winter that plastic becomes brittle. Take a look at these, they are more industrial and still way cheaper than a lot of stuff I've looked at. I have not made a decision on the size yet but I will post some pix when I configure it...I DO have OCD and I will definitely over-think the whole thing..
https://www.zoro.com/quantum-storag...n-w-gray-rso2415-7/i/G4030171/#specifications

Tony Knowlton

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger and 2018 Ford Explorer
Quick question what did you hook your bungy cord to on the inside by the fender well, all I have is two threaded holes. Thanks

Greatlakespilot

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Your truck should have came with 3 tie down attachments on each side. One in the back, one on the side behind the wheel well, and one on the forward bulkhead.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Quick question what did you hook your bungy cord to on the inside by the fender well, all I have is two threaded holes. Thanks
For a short period of time they ran low on bed tie downs at the factory... so they stopped installing 6 and started installing 4.

I talked to the dealer I bought my truck from, showed them trucks on their lot... all that had 6 tie downs. I then went to the parts guy and ordered 2 hooks and 4 screws... then went to the Service Manager who said when the parts come in to see him and he would write up a warranty ticket to pay for the parts.

Good luck!

Tony Knowlton

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger and 2018 Ford Explorer
Thanks mine only came with four, just ordered two more. Already bought the storage bins, thanks for the help..

SN13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
Just an FYI.

The only Rolling Toolbox with Telescopic handle I could find that fits under my Tonneau:

Rigid Rolling Toolbox: https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-22-in-Pro-Gear-Cart-Tool-Box-in-Black-222573/205441921
Plus Stackable: https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-22-in-Pro-Tool-Box-Black-222570/205440481

They hold all my tools ( I also have a small parts organizer in the set as well that has a clear top and sectioned storage) and I can Stack & Lock them and transport all my handtools into and out of a jobsite and then store them under my Tonneau. They have weather seals (One of my co-workers without a tonneau has the same box exposed to UV and Rain and reports no water leaks. His looks beat to death.)

Hope this helps!

BButah

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4 (Saber)

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
Here is what I use:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-45-Gal-Latch-and-Stack-Tote-with-Wheels-in-Black-206133/303099671
Less than $25, holds WAAAAAAAAY more than what I'll EVER put in, and it fits perfectly under my Xtang Xceed folding tonneau. It has wheels so it's easy to pull out when/if I need the full bed. Nice latching cover and it's pretty stout plastic, HD claims it holds up to 400lbs! I just secure/strap it to the 2 front tie-downs.
IMG_6418.jpeg

IMG_6417.jpeg

IMG_6419.jpeg
will that fit in the back seat in a pinch? I used to have a box in my Sport Trac and when I needed the bed I’d throw it in the back seat.

BButah

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4 (Saber)
will that fit in the back seat in a pinch? I used to have a box in my Sport Trac and when I needed the bed I’d throw it in the back seat.
Good question.... I have not tried! My guess is yes, but it might be pretty awkward if it's loaded up?

For me, in a pinch, I just flip out my Bed Extender which more than compensates for the storage box area.

And if I'm hauling something that requires the entire bed, I usually know in advance and just pull the container out.

But if when/if I remember, I'll try to put the container into the back seat and see if it fits. :like:
Sponsored