FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
Lariat FX4-
So, when I start the truck, it's very loud as it's warming up. Not a bad sound - not like there's something wrong. My 5.0L F150 wasn't this loud as it warmed up.

It's also as loud as I start off.

It just seems louder then it should be.

Just commenting...not complaining.
Sponsored

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
Is it the fan sound that you’re hearing? The Ranger has a mechanical cooling fan that’s much louder than an electric fan at start up when the engine is cold.

OP
OP
FX4Offroad

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
Is it the fan sound that you’re hearing? The Ranger has a mechanical cooling fan that’s much louder than an electric fan at start up when the engine is cold.
Yes... I believe it is the fan. It just seems very loud for a small engine.

It's all good.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
Yes... I believe it is the fan. It just seems very loud for a small engine.

It's all good.
Agreed, it is pretty loud. It sounds about the same as my two old 4cyl Colorados and my older Rangers did.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Lariat FX4-
So, when I start the truck, it's very loud as it's warming up. Not a bad sound - not like there's something wrong. My 5.0L F150 wasn't this loud as it warmed up.

It's also as loud as I start off.

It just seems louder then it should be.

Just commenting...not complaining.
Hi,

It is fan clutch morning sickness. I have it too. Needs to be fixed in my opinion. New fan clutch calibration needed.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Company, Retired

Jerry Caldwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Architect
Hi,

It is fan clutch morning sickness. I have it too. Needs to be fixed in my opinion. New fan clutch calibration needed.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Company, Retired
Yea, it doesn’t make any sense to have it engaged at all on cold start up until the engine is at operating temp. Although if you have been driving, park for a few minutes and then start the truck it should be on then.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
It feels to me like a test to make sure the fan will operate at full speed before bringing it down.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yea, it doesn’t make any sense to have it engaged at all on cold start up until the engine is at operating temp. Although if you have been driving, park for a few minutes and then start the truck it should be on then.
Hi Jerry,

Overnight the silicone fluid driains to the bottom of the clutch, locking it on. If you spin it up and hold it it will dissipate faster but I am not revving a cold engine... We battled this on the 3.0L V6 Aerostar for most if its life, but the clutch manufacturer did figure out how to resolve it. Need the same resolution here in my opinion.

Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
mine does the same thing doesn't really bother me though. I did worry the first time I heard it that it would be a constant noise so at least its only when the truck is cold.

Deleted member 1634

I have noticed it as well (XLT), but usually it only lasts a little bit. I've noticed that if I sit and wait in the parking spot a little bit longer, then it either calms down before I pull out or soon after leaving the spot, before I even get out to the road. So that's kind of what I've been going with. Get in, start it up, and let the engine do it's thing while I buckle up and mess with the radio and climate controls. Then by the time I'm ready to set off, the truck usually is too. Or at colder times (<45), I've taken to remote starting it as I'm walking up to it, to give it that little bit extra time. See if I can figure out a correlation between warm-up time needed and temperature. That way I'll know exactly when to start the truck based on the outside temp so that it's ready when I get in.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Hi Jerry,

Overnight the silicone fluid driains to the bottom of the clutch, locking it on. If you spin it up and hold it it will dissipate faster but I am not revving a cold engine... We battled this on the 3.0L V6 Aerostar for most if its life, but the clutch manufacturer did figure out how to resolve it. Need the same resolution here in my opinion.

Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

This clutch appears to have a viscous coupling and a mechanical "lock in". So my guess is it's a self test on cold start.

To test, unplug the wires going to the fan clutch, and my guess is it doesn't spin up until the mechanical clutch comes up to temp.

WVmanowar

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not a truck
Mine didn't start out doing this...or at least I never noticed it. The last two mornings, I've noticed the fan noise and felt like it was limiting acceleration. I was wondering if it was something I needed to wait and let it warm up more or whether something was wrong. ...this is from a cold start.

I'll try and let it warm up longer or pay closer attention during pre-start through idle.

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
This clutch appears to have a viscous coupling and a mechanical "lock in". So my guess is it's a self test on cold start.

To test, unplug the wires going to the fan clutch, and my guess is it doesn't spin up until the mechanical clutch comes up to temp.
self test on cold start could be it that's a good suggestion

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Really "any" start, it's just most noticeable when it's cold outside (to me).
true. sometimes i dont notice it others it sounds like the truck is powered by a jet engine and its spooling up. If only I could hear the tiny little fist sized turbo in my ranger....
Sponsored