Looking for help with a bunch of "minor" concerns

shedfullatools

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' Ranger, 98' Jeep Xj, 90' F150
I normally wouldn't make my second post on a forum a laundry list of complaints but here goes, I bought my truck a little over a month ago. I've put 2200 kms on it so far, its a 20' XL, ext cab, SXT. I test drove it twice before I bought it (100kms total) and was pretty much sold on the first test drive, unfortunately I only had dry city roads/highway to test drive it. Now that I've been using it as my only vehicle for a month I have more complaints than compliments at the moment. I hope there's some solutions I'm missing here that you guys can help with.

1. Traction Control, I press and hold the button till it says avance trac off. Yet as soon as the wheels spin any amount a second light starts flashing and you can hear/feel the brakes pumping, it also cuts engine Rpms drastically if they're spinning enough. This is extremely annoying to me coming from old vehicles that let me do whatever I want, it even kills momentum if your trying to pull a hill in 2wd. Is there something I'm missing here?

2. Shifting from 4HI to 2HI, I do a lot of driving in snow. In all my trucks I've always driven around in 2wd and shifted to 4HI as needed (Steep Hills, Curves etc). However in the Ranger every time I shift from 4HI back to 2Hi it turns advance trac back on and I have to push and hold the button again. That gets old in a hurry, I don't see anything in the manual about being able to disable that. Anybody know a way?

3. Passenger Door/Tailgate lock, is there a way to make it so when I put the truck in park the Passenger Door and tailgate unlock automatically? I'm getting in the habit of hitting the unlock button when I get out now but it still annoys me everytime I forget and have to walk back around the truck.

4. Ice between the bed and Cab, the gap between the bed and the back of the cab is substantially bigger at the top than down below. About a week ago I got a horrible rattle from the back of the cab, turns out there are 5-6 big chunks of hard white ice stuck in this gap. They rattle continuously and I can't find a way to get them out of there, Im worried about the paint getting beat up from this and future rust issues. I think I may stuff some pipe insulation in there or something later on to prevent ice from falling in but that doesn't help me with getting what's in there out. Everything I try is just risking more scraped up paint in a place where its hard to fix.

5. Ford Pass app, I have three scheduled starts in the app. This was a huge selling feature as no other basic truck offered this in this price range. However the app is constantly acting up, it says my trucks location is Michigan where it was built. I've tried all sorts of stuff to update that and nothing has worked, because of this it updates the time zone on all three scheduled starts to Detroit's time zone every day. I have to go through and manually change the time zone every day or the truck starts at the wrong times. Anyone else have that issue?

There are a few other things annoying me but these are the ones that are a daily bother, thankfully all are winter related and I think I will enjoy the truck much more in the summer. Issue is 90% of the reason I always own 4x4 vehicles is for the winter not the summer. I hope there are simple solutions I'm missing here, Thanks in advance
Sponsored

OP
OP
shedfullatools

shedfullatools

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am extremely anal about cleaning any vehicle off everytime I drive, these chunks fell in the gap while I was cleaning 4" of snow off the roof after a few hours of freezing rain, It's pretty hard to control where that stuff slides off as you beat on it to break it up. I don't have rear defrost, there aren't any car washes within two hours of me but if I haven't gotten the ice out by the next time I'm in town I will take your advice.

I've been doing the press and hold for 5 seconds like the manual says, it comes up on the dash that advancetrac is off after you press and hold. I thought that would turn all the "assists" off but it looks like roll stability control stays on?

Its when the truck is idling in park and I jump out to grab something from/put something in the bed that the auto lock is annoying me. When you turn the ignition off everything unlocks, I rarely have the ignition turned off when I'm running errands/deliveries and its then that the locked tailgate/passenger door annoys me. Ill have to talk to my dealer and see if they can enable it while the truck is idling in park.
Thank you For your help!

GitRDone

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT
Occupation
Real estate management
OP, please post back if you find a solution to #3. I have the same complaint, and agree it is super annoying to walk around and find the passenger door (or tailgate) locked. (Why??) The tech at my dealer couldn't figure it out, he did enable Unlock All Doors from the settings menu. But all that does is unlock everything with one push of the fob button instead of two.

bonnjer

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab 2wd
Have you fixed #5 yet? If not, make sure that your location is turned on in the truck's settings. Mine kept showing incorrectly until I turned the location on. After that, it got the right place with no problem.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
For #3 I just set it to never auto lock.

Reactions: EJH

OP
OP
shedfullatools

shedfullatools

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP, please post back if you find a solution to #3. I have the same complaint, and agree it is super annoying to walk around and find the passenger door (or tailgate) locked. (Why??) The tech at my dealer couldn't figure it out, he did enable Unlock All Doors from the settings menu. But all that does is unlock everything with one push of the fob button instead of two.
I haven't figured anything out with it, definitely asking the dealer to do what they did with your as well though. Never understood why it takes two presses on the fob to open all the doors. Thanks for letting me know that's an option.

OP
OP
shedfullatools

shedfullatools

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you fixed #5 yet? If not, make sure that your location is turned on in the truck's settings. Mine kept showing incorrectly until I turned the location on. After that, it got the right place with no problem.
I thought I had it fixed but it only lasted about two weeks and now its back to changing my start times to Detroit time every day. Do you mean there's a location setting in the truck? Or the various location settings in my phone? All the app related ones on my phone are enabled already.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
I haven't figured anything out with it, definitely asking the dealer to do what they did with your as well though. Never understood why it takes two presses on the fob to open all the doors. Thanks for letting me know that's an option.
It is a safety function that has been around since key fobs for decades....the theory is in case there is a stranger harassing you or similar, you can just unlock the driver door and not unlock any other door for someone to access. My wife (and many others) like this. I do not, so set mine to one click to unlock all doors.

Odd concerning the tailgate and passenger door not unlocking when you turn off the ignition. My 2021 Ranger unlocks all doors, and the tailgate, when I shift to park and turn off the ignition. I have push to start though, and a US model.

Arly

First Name
Arlyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT super cab (dog space)
Occupation
trails maintenance
I am extremely anal about cleaning any vehicle off everytime I drive, these chunks fell in the gap while I was cleaning 4" of snow off the roof after a few hours of freezing rain, It's pretty hard to control where that stuff slides off as you beat on it to break it up. I don't have rear defrost, there aren't any car washes within two hours of me but if I haven't gotten the ice out by the next time I'm in town I will take your advice.
Yes, it does gathers snow/ice between the cab and box and make noise. How would Ford correct this??? If it annoys me enough, I just take it to the carwash and wash it which will melt.. It needs washing anyway :crackup:

I'd guess we receive more snow than you, but we just leave it in 4wd until spring arrives.

OP
OP
shedfullatools

shedfullatools

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is a safety function that has been around since key fobs for decades....the theory is in case there is a stranger harassing you or similar, you can just unlock the driver door and not unlock any other door for someone to access. My wife (and many others) like this. I do not, so set mine to one click to unlock all doors.

Odd concerning the tailgate and passenger door not unlocking when you turn off the ignition. My 2021 Ranger unlocks all doors, and the tailgate, when I shift to park and turn off the ignition. I have push to start though, and a US model.
That is understandable, never thought of that. I'm sure there's a way to make mine unlock all when I shift to park, my dealer is 2 hours away so I'll wait till my first service to ask about it.

Reactions: EJH
OP
OP
shedfullatools

shedfullatools

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, it does gathers snow/ice between the cab and box and make noise. How would Ford correct this??? If it annoys me enough, I just take it to the carwash and wash it which will melt.. It needs washing anyway :crackup:

I'd guess we receive more snow than you, but we just leave it in 4wd until spring arrives.
I've owned lots of trucks, every one up until this one had a gap that was the same size top to bottom. Anything that could fit in could fit right back out, annoyingly the same chunks of ice I was complaining about a month ago are still in there plus a few more lol. I'm gonna put some pipe insulation in the gap in the spring to hopefully prevent the build up next winter. I have no doubt this year you've gotten more snow than us, winter didn't start till February and we only got one storm a week all month mostly. Only around 3 feet on the ground now, pretty strange winter here. Unfortunately they dump so much salt on the roads here that within three days of a storm all the main roads are 90% bare pavement, in and out of 4x4 constantly going from pavement to snowy side roads and driveways. Of course all that salt means everything more than 2 years old has rust starting and anything more than 10 is guaranteed to have holes unless they kept up on undercoating.

Arly

First Name
Arlyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT super cab (dog space)
Occupation
trails maintenance
I just checked the paper which states we've seen 130" as of today. This puts us 100" behind normal for this time of of the year.

OP
OP
shedfullatools

shedfullatools

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just checked the paper which states we've seen 130" as of today. This puts us 100" behind normal for this time of of the year.
Damn your well ahead of us lol, our official "average" snowfall from November to April is 157". Not every year we get a winter like that though, last year was pretty rough but this one has been ridiculously mild.

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
Just spit balling here... that cover comes off the inside of the tailgate real easy. maybe just disconnect the power lock.
Sponsored