looking for Best Tonneau Cover in Rain and Snow?

Alexdas

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
own
Occupation
Teacher
I am looking for Tonneau Covers, I didn't see a forum for interior mods, but I wanted to know if there were any options for information on the best tonneau covers. Kindly suggest and tell me about your bed cover like brand....likes dislikes etc, or tonneau....soft or hard. I watched this best tonneau Cover but it couldn't be more informational.

Any thoughts? Has anyone done this? Thanks
Sponsored

TheAssuager

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Supercrew XLT
I could be wrong, but I think what many here will tell you is that if you are willing to shell out $1k, you cannot go wrong with a bakflip. From all the forum perusing I have done here, the mx4 seems to be a favorite on this forum. I prefer the flush look, design, build quality and warranty so much that it justifies the $600 price difference vs the cheaper options. I absolutely love mine. 100% waterproof and secure. We had a bit of a downpour in socal recently and my bed has stayed bone dry. My cab leaked ? but Ford is fixing that lol. But that's just my two cents! A lot of guys get the cheaper ones and save a shit load of money. My input is that the cost of the bakflip brand is worth it.

OP
OP
Alexdas

Alexdas

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
own
Occupation
Teacher
I could be wrong, but I think what many here will tell you is that if you are willing to shell out $1k, you cannot go wrong with a bakflip. From all the forum perusing I have done here, the mx4 seems to be a favorite on this forum. I prefer the flush look, design, build quality and warranty so much that it justifies the $600 price difference vs the cheaper options. I absolutely love mine. 100% waterproof and secure. We had a bit of a downpour in socal recently and my bed has stayed bone dry. My cab leaked ? but Ford is fixing that lol. But that's just my two cents! A lot of guys get the cheaper ones and save a shit load of money. My input is that the cost of the bakflip brand is worth it.
thanks

Clank

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Registered Nurse
Vehicle Showcase
I am looking for Tonneau Covers, I didn't see a forum for interior mods, but I wanted to know if there were any options for information on the best tonneau covers. Kindly suggest and tell me about your bed cover like brand....likes dislikes etc, or tonneau....soft or hard. I watched this best tonneau Cover but it couldn't be more informational.

Any thoughts? Has anyone done this? Thanks
Like the other person mentioned, Bakflip is a good brand. I have the Ford hard-folding cover, which is a rebranded Bakflip, and it only gets water from the tailgate which is no fault of the cover. The contents of the bed are always dry, just a small amount of water on the floor.

I have had a Diamondback in the past, and that was great for weatherproofing and security. I did miss having the ability to easily hop up in the bed or haul tall items, so that's a bit of trade off. I think pretty much the same can be said for the hard shell covers.

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Crewcab & 2003 Mountaineer Premier
I have the Extang Trifecta 2.0 Signature Series folding soft tonneau cover. It's more of the rag-top look type material vs. the standard marine vinyl. I love the look and function. I don't haul anything of any real value in the back so I didn't need anything that offers more security, mine was more for just out of sight and out of weather protection.

AzureRanger

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep TJ
Occupation
Retired
Another vote for Bak, but I have the hard roll up X4S. I prefer keeping the rear window clear when opened fully. Plus, at my age and bad shoulder, I struggled opening the BakFlip all the way on my F-150.....I had the FibreMax and long bed so the panels got very heavy unless I climbed in the bed and opened it.

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Screw 4x4 Lariat 501a Blk App Carbonized Gray
I have the Truxedo Truxport, and it’s been a good cover - soft roll-up. Its a relatively cheaper option, and I can see out of the rear windshield easily when it’s rolled up. It’s waterproof except for the tailgate. The only negative to me is that it sits on top of the bed rails so is not as flush as other options but it still looks nice. I put some 303 on it occasionally to protect against sun damage. I don’t know how it would handle very heavy snow. I think you would need to remove the snow to avoid the weight damaging it.

If I were to do it again, I might spend more on a hard cover but honestly, the one I have is good. I might kick myself later for having spent more.

Todd Chapin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 crewcab lariat fx4
Occupation
Chef
Pretty happy with my ConAgra trifold since 2019. Definitely water resistant and handle any amout of snow.

Last edited:

Muscleford

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat, 84 & 85 5.0 Merc Capri,14 Fusion
Occupation
Retired
I have the TruXedo Pro X15, very low profile. Bed is dry except what gets in around the tailgate.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
I have a Truxedo Truxport, one of the less costly units, almost two years and no leaks so far. Proper installation of the foam blocks and bulkhead foam strip are important.

MagneticRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCab FX4
Looking for some suggestions.

I purchased a used Ford OEM soft tri fold (part# is for 5ft box Ranger) but did not come with a manual to confirm fitment procedures.

Installation is as easy as any other soft trifold video on YouTube however.....I'm questioning the sealing of the front header rail on the box (closest to the cab) the gap that is left is almost 2.5 / 3 inches between the rail and the rubber weather stripping on the tonneau itself. The sides and rear tailgate seem to seal just fine and every appears to be lined up but it just doesn't seem right ....maybe it's supposed to be this way...but im unsure....I've attached some photos to illustrate

PXL_20231023_163451854.jpg

PXL_20231023_163514708.jpg

PXL_20231023_163532853.jpg

PXL_20231023_163545211.jpg

PXL_20231023_163613003.jpg

Mtnbikes

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
I’ve used Retrax covers on my past trucks and now in my Ranger. Currently have the Retrax Pro XR. Great cover!! Locks and keeps the elements out.

IMG_3474.jpeg

ranger 2020

First Name
harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020ranger 22 Ecosport 21 Honda PCX
Occupation
retired
When I bought my cover new, it came with a seal for the front of the bed. If buying used the previous owner probably ruined it taking it off. nothing that a trip to the local hardware store won't fix.

MagneticRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCab FX4
When I bought my cover new, it came with a seal for the front of the bed. If buying used the previous owner probably ruined it taking it off. nothing that a trip to the local hardware store won't fix.
Ah ok,

It's quite possible that is the case....no luck online trying to find a PDF of probably a 1 page manual which I was hoping had that information in it.

It's a pretty large gap...just wasn't sure if I go with pipe pre slit insulation or regular weather stripping seal....I guess my main concern is adhesion due the spray liner material covering across that top rail

ranger 2020

First Name
harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020ranger 22 Ecosport 21 Honda PCX
Occupation
retired
I think if it was me, I would try to stuff a section of foam pipe insulation in there and give it a go. the piece that came with the cover had a peel and stick adhesive on it. Doesn't fit real tight but does the job.
Sponsored