First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Performance person
Decided that I liked my Injen hot air intake a lot but it wasn’t quite how I wanted it so….. I made my very own HAI whale dick edition. It’s all 4” mandrel bent aluminum with an aluminum heat shield. Been driving around all day and the IAT was really good, better than Injen but obviously not as good as the almighty stock CAI… quick data comparison shows it picked up some airflow over the Injen intake too.

046128D6-508F-4287-95AA-3CDB43AB9DBD.jpeg

D26A3810-16E7-42AF-8420-B82EFFA4A611.jpeg

D272D75F-F75A-4195-9F69-3AD71DDD5067.jpeg

8310DBA7-483D-4367-9724-5520676E0BC4.jpeg

6E5C75DF-F854-4248-9424-AA4B8358D873.jpeg

E728F8BF-7EDC-43CA-A0D2-E42205E54517.jpeg

72531794-4E1E-4CF2-A309-BC201F3104BB.jpeg

Sponsored

XL GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger STX
Occupation
Civil Engineering Firm
@Loweredon33s, do you think the increased volume of air gained with your intake outweighs your higher increase in IAT's let's say, over the stock intake?

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
Loweredon33s

Loweredon33s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Performance person
@Loweredon33s, do you think the increased volume of air gained with your intake outweighs your higher increase in IAT's let's say, over the stock intake?
I don’t believe in the stock intake, it might be cooler but it is quite restrictive and turbulent. All intakes tend to heat up at lower speeds (some more than others)
I wouldn’t rock crawl with an open intake but for daily driving and overall performance I think they work great. The heat goes away rapidly and doesn’t seem to have much impact on power. I have had stock, Mishimoto, Injen and now my own design. The open style intakes are a little warmer but they move air so much better than closed and they cool right down once you’re moving any volume of air. I let my truck idle with the hood down and then again with it up yesterday, interestingly the the temperature was similar in both tests.
Also good to note that the tune doesn’t really care about the intake temperature, it uses the intercooler temperature as the guide to timing control. I have an intercooler and it’s definitely working, my charge temps are rarely over ambient when moving air and are always lower than the IATat low flow/load.

XL GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger STX
Occupation
Civil Engineering Firm
I don’t believe in the stock intake, it might be cooler but it is quite restrictive and turbulent. All intakes tend to heat up at lower speeds (some more than others)
I wouldn’t rock crawl with an open intake but for daily driving and overall performance I think they work great. The heat goes away rapidly and doesn’t seem to have much impact on power. I have had stock, Mishimoto, Injen and now my own design. The open style intakes are a little warmer but they move air so much better than closed and they cool right down once you’re moving any volume of air. I let my truck idle with the hood down and then again with it up yesterday, interestingly the the temperature was similar in both tests.
Also good to note that the tune doesn’t really care about the intake temperature, it uses the intercooler temperature as the guide to timing control. I have an intercooler and it’s definitely working, my charge temps are rarely over ambient when moving air and are always lower than the IATat low flow/load.

Interesting, and understood. What filter did you use, and how much larger diameter is the yellow tube over stock or most aftermarkets?

OP
OP
Loweredon33s

Loweredon33s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Performance person
Interesting, and understood. What filter did you use, and how much larger diameter is the yellow tube over stock or most aftermarkets?
The upper (the intake) is all 4”od aluminum,
most intakes are about 3” od/ 2.8” or so inside.
the stock lower inlet is less than 3” and drops to 2.5” quickly,
my lower is 3.5” and only goes to 2.5” at the very end.

For reference, the Injen intake this one replaced was all 3.25” and had a lot more tubing length than this one.
The filter I used is the new Black series K&N, it’s very large, I might use a slightly smaller filter if we produce these just for cost and simplicity of installation. I really like this filter though.

XL GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger STX
Occupation
Civil Engineering Firm
I'm guessing you have an aftermarket tune already, so did you have to have a tune revision after installing this, or did the computer/tune adjust enough because of already having other aftermarket intakes? Very impressed with the design and workmanship with this. Thank you for answering these questions.

OP
OP
Loweredon33s

Loweredon33s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Performance person
I'm guessing you have an aftermarket tune already, so did you have to have a tune revision after installing this, or did the computer/tune adjust enough because of already having other aftermarket intakes? Very impressed with the design and workmanship with this. Thank you for answering these questions.
My truck is custom tuned, it’s the truck we use for the development of our tunes and products for the Ranger platform. Every change is datalogged and usually dyno tested. My tune has adjusted itself just fine for these changes and hasn’t necessarily “required” any revisions.
We will likely make tune changes to optimize the potential with this intake but generally our tune will adapt to most common bolt ons. I can’t speak for other tuners though, I’ve seen some stupid things happen requiring retunes for simple parts when I’m over here just running my tune and swapping parts whenever I want to.

XL GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger STX
Occupation
Civil Engineering Firm
Definitely interested and will be on the look-out for your possible future posts regarding your intake. Fine piece of work and design.

OP
OP
Loweredon33s

Loweredon33s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Performance person
Definitely interested and will be on the look-out for your possible future posts regarding your intake. Fine piece of work and design.
Thank you! I will continue to post updates, planning an intake dyno comparison as soon as I can.
Here’s a closer look at my design compared to Injen. If I produce this, I’ll likely have a revised heat shield.

7CECCE00-5D3C-4872-ABCE-B15FE28FC477.jpeg

AB0B13E1-B236-4B4E-A4FF-408A8953DA22.jpeg

1AD258D4-1775-4CFA-AF22-040007C9D19A.jpeg

68066E34-4F73-4D9A-B3E9-35293552A5F4.jpeg

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I would think those sharp 90° angles create some still air.

Billythekidd

First Name
Willyu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Please some info... on all my other vehicles these are called CAI.. for Cold Air Intake, why is this an HAI? Thanks