• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ford Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Senior Eng & Tech advisor
As per the CarExpert article linked, a long wheelbase Ranger prototype has been spotted in an IKEA carpark in Melbourne Australia, which happens to be next door to the Ford Australia National Sales Office.

The prototype looks to be sporting the super cab's tub mounted to an extended wheelbase crew cab chassis. It also has a side exiting exhaust, which suggests this could be a US market prototype as none of the RoW vehicles have the side exit exhaust.

https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-news/2023-ford-ranger-spied-with-extended-tray

Ford Ranger Long Wheelbase 2023 Ranger Spotted in Melbourne, Possibly US Market Prototype FB_IMG_1654400263931
Ford Ranger Long Wheelbase 2023 Ranger Spotted in Melbourne, Possibly US Market Prototype FB_IMG_1654400273543

Last edited:

Fattirz in NC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜02 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew, '16 Honda Africa Twin
Occupation
Designer/Draftsman
Ahhhhh!!!! There is hope for me after all. Iā€™ve been pining over this configuration for YEARs!!! Now if this is coming to the NA market, my only hope is I can get it in a Tremor package?!?! For me it would make for the perfect overland truck right from the factory!!! If not, I suppose Iā€™ll settle and go for Lariat FX4 and go for a two inch level and Fox suspension upgradeā€¦. Basically build my own Tremor so to speak.

Thanks for postingā€¦ this definitely made my day!!! šŸ˜

Last edited:

WiDirtFishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 - Lariat 2.7
Occupation
RN
Am I the only one that is not a fan of the side exit exhaust?
Rather have it out the back. But glad to see this prototype.

the1mrb

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, XLT FX4
Occupation
Aerostructures Engineer
Am I the only one that is not a fan of the side exit exhaust?
Rather have it out the back. But glad to see this prototype.
Side exit doesn't interfere with the departure angle like an aft exit one does.

WiDirtFishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 - Lariat 2.7
Occupation
RN
Side exit doesn't interfere with the departure angle like an aft exit one does.
Yea Iā€™m in Wisconsin, not a lot of off-roading so that doesnā€™t matter much to me.
the reason I donā€™t like it is if youā€™re parked in a garage and starting the truck early in the winter all the exhaust hangs around in the garage vs a rear exit exhaust it will vent out the open garage door.

Sponsored
OP
OP
bill_AUS

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ford Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Senior Eng & Tech advisor
Thanks for postingā€¦ this definitely made my day!!! šŸ˜
This is pretty much guaranteed to be a US market prototype. There are a number of differences between the AU market vehicle and this one:
  • The amber markers in the front wheel arches
  • Side indicator repeater in side fender grill (not in the mirrors)
  • Side exit exhaust pipe
  • Centre high mount stop light in rear of cabin (not tailgate)
I highly doubt that we will get this length vehicle globally, it's here because the prototypes are built at the former Broadmeadows plant in Melbourne's northern suburbs.

the1mrb

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aerostructures Engineer
Yea Iā€™m in Wisconsin, not a lot of off-roading so that doesnā€™t matter much to me.
the reason I donā€™t like it is if youā€™re parked in a garage and starting the truck early in the winter all the exhaust hangs around in the garage vs a rear exit exhaust it will vent out the open garage door.
There's plenty of off-roading in Wisconsin, at least the northern part where there's trees and nature instead of just cities and farms. haha Either way though off-roading is one of the Ranger's main functions by design, so they have to incorporate off-road aspects whether you use them or not.
And as far as the garage goes, I always back in, so whether the exhaust goes out the side or the back it'll still collect inside the garage if running anyways. But I can see your point.

LuckyMonkey7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Lightning
If this actually happens and comes to the US, I will be one of the first in line to buy one.

Not having a crewcab and 6'+ bed was my only complaint about the ranger. Even without the bed it's bounds ahead of the rest of the midsize(fullsize of 10-15 years ago) trucks.

WiDirtFishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 - Lariat 2.7
Occupation
RN
This is pretty much guaranteed to be a US market prototype. There are a number of differences between the AU market vehicle and this one:
  • Side exit exhaust pipe
I highly doubt that we will get this length vehicle globally, it's here because the prototypes are built at the former Broadmeadows plant in Melbourne's northern suburbs.
it is disappointing to see the brake light mounted to the back of the cabin versus integrated into the tailgateā€¦ booo

sjl136

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
  • Side exit exhaust pipe
I'll run either a soft topper or a cap so it will be disappointing if the US gets the high mount stop light instead of the tailgate mounted one, but I'm probably in the minority here with that opinion.

Sponsored

the1mrb

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aerostructures Engineer
I'll run either a soft topper or a cap so it will be disappointing if the US gets the high mount stop light instead of the tailgate mounted one, but I'm probably in the minority here with that opinion.
All hard caps/toppers/camper shells/whatever you want to call them that I know of come with an integrated third brake light anyways.

sjl136

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
All hard caps/toppers/camper shells/whatever you want to call them that I know of come with an integrated third brake light anyways.
The Softoppers don't come with a brake light, and I like the idea of being able to fold it up, and to also be able to take it off quickly to run without a top. This all becomes a pain if you rig up some aftermarket LED onto the Softopper as a third brake light, let alone cut through the top to run the wires. Plus with any cap, the more advanced the vehicle wiring systems get, the more chance you can cause electrical problems by teeing into existing wiring without using an appropriate wiring adapter kit. Just my thoughts, the tailgate mounted light resolves all of this for me, and I would install bed lighting anyway using a factory 12V connection, so don't need the cab mounted bed lights.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
If they do this with a PHEV, then I will be trading my 2019 for sure. The short bed crew cab was one concession I made with the Ranger.

WiDirtFishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 - Lariat 2.7
Occupation
RN
The Softoppers don't come with a brake light, and I like the idea of being able to fold it up, and to also be able to take it off quickly to run without a top. This all becomes a pain if you rig up some aftermarket LED onto the Softopper as a third brake light, let alone cut through the top to run the wires. Plus with any cap, the more advanced the vehicle wiring systems get, the more chance you can cause electrical problems by teeing into existing wiring without using an appropriate wiring adapter kit. Just my thoughts, the tailgate mounted light resolves all of this for me, and I would install bed lighting anyway using a factory 12V connection, so don't need the cab mounted bed lights.
i dont' think you're in the minority, i think a lot of buyers would prefer the tailgate brake light over the cab.
however, the Best Top 2 now comes with an integrated brake light option. Thats what i will probably look at.

i am really hop;ing for a PHEV version at launch as long as performance isn't hampered too much.
Sponsored