Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Screenshot_2021-11-20-08-35-34.png

Based on the video... The rod on the left is the 2020+ Ranger (and maybe mustang) the rod on the right is 2019 and earlier.
I did confirm that the rods available today for a 2019 and earlier 2.3 ecoboost have a replacement number (same number as 2020+ rods) and also found some NOS rods (with the old number) listed for the 2.3 ecoboost 2015-2019...? But that's it, still nothing official!
PS: I am looking for a new Ranger with a 7500 tow package. Still keeping the Mustangs, just upgrading my pick-up truck!!
The rod on the right is bushed for floating wrist pins, the one on the left isn't but looks beefier.
Sponsored

remtv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT , 2001 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Engineer, Student
Having only owned a GDI vehicle for a little while before this (2.0l Kia) an no turbos prior, I am a bit concerned about the life of the engine. Honestly not very concerned about the fuel in oil as I mostly stick to 5k oil changes but the carbon build up to the extent that It happens is not something I was fully aware of and I'm a little uneasy on the possible costs that its going to take to keep it in good running order. Something like a 400 dollar walnut blasting service in 60,000 miles is reasonable enough but if it turns into a 20,000 mile service I probably won't be thrilled, although as the trucks have been out for 3 years now and we don't have a rash of people showing off pictures of their valves I am going to remain hopeful.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

Kevin Woodc

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5G
Occupation
Officer
The 2.3L doesn't have dual injections like the 2.7, so you'll experience carbon buildup. Oil catch-cans can help minimize carbon buildups as soon as possible.
You may have turbo wastegate issues in the future (rattle, boost leak, etc.). Turbochargers do this over time, but you should not see it until after 70K-100K miles.
https://cararac.com/blog/ford-2-3-ecoboost-engine.html

Last edited:

Coyote Chaser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger 2018 Mustang
I've had success with the both the Ecoboost motor and the Ranger!
I have an Ecoboost Fusion w/ 80k on it with zero problems, plus an Ecoboost Mustang that I track, again with zero problems.
And I'm driving Ranger #3 and again, have had zero problems!

hughesjv

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Any known, wide spread problems with this engine? I’ve heard and read about the gas in oil, but not sure if it’s a small number of problems. And what causes it?

Is the 2.3 in the Ranger the same exact engine that’s in the Explorer and mustang?

Im just curious about the strength and durability of the block and if it’s capable of handling a life of towing in the Rangers?

I’m trying to find out as much information on the 2.3. From what I’ve read it’s a semi open block, and it’s basically the same as the 2.0 ecoboost, but the 2.0 ecoboost is closed block and is said to be more robust?

Also, why hasn’t Ford gone with dual injection with this engine, like every engine in the F150?

Any information is appreciated.
36K and absolutely no issues with fuel or otherwise. I am over 25 MPG for the life of the vehicle so fuel is going where it is supposed to go.

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
Screenshot_2021-11-20-08-35-34.png

Based on the video... The rod on the left is the 2020+ Ranger (and maybe mustang) the rod on the right is 2019 and earlier.
I did confirm that the rods available today for a 2019 and earlier 2.3 ecoboost have a replacement number (same number as 2020+ rods) and also found some NOS rods (with the old number) listed for the 2.3 ecoboost 2015-2019...? But that's it, still nothing official!
PS: I am looking for a new Ranger with a 7500 tow package. Still keeping the Mustangs, just upgrading my pick-up truck!!
I'm glad the kept my 2 extra tie downs and gave me better connecting rods. Take that all you 2019 owners with extra parts!

Last edited:

SFB

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Crew XLT Sport Black on Black with Magnetic trim, package 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Having only owned a GDI vehicle for a little while before this (2.0l Kia) an no turbos prior, I am a bit concerned about the life of the engine. Honestly not very concerned about the fuel in oil as I mostly stick to 5k oil changes but the carbon build up to the extent that It happens is not something I was fully aware of and I'm a little uneasy on the possible costs that its going to take to keep it in good running order. Something like a 400 dollar walnut blasting service in 60,000 miles is reasonable enough but if it turns into a 20,000 mile service I probably won't be thrilled, although as the trucks have been out for 3 years now and we don't have a rash of people showing off pictures of their valves I am going to remain hopeful.
40K miles zero issues with the engine. 2019, drive mixed, don’t tow or carry heavy loads. Recent 1300 mile trip through 115 deg temps driving 80, temp gauge never moved from where it always is, no ping or knock on reg. Fuel. Just returned from a trip, less than 600 miles to an event in a ghost town high in the Inyo mountains, 8500’ elev. road to get there after the highway was an 8 mile dirt road with a 5K’ elevation climb on a narrow road! Average speed was 5 to 10 mph and starting temp was 106. No ping or knock and not 4WD. Truck was awesome. I had been considering trading in for a Maverick. I’m retired and was looking to reduce fuel costs. F**k that! I’m keeping the ranger. May trade in for a 4WD eventually because I like camping and I’m a rock hound. Was very easy to pack equipment into the truck. Maverick is smaller.

Mkonecsni

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Shuttle driver
I have a 2.3L in my 2011 Ranger. Ford didn't even offer it in 4WD. Only 145Hp. You have to have the Manual Tranny so you can keep it in its power ranger. Cast Iron Block. The original architecture came from the Pinto.
Nothing is the same on the newer 2.3 ecoboost engine and the older Pinto engine, completely different.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Any known, wide spread problems with this engine? I’ve heard and read about the gas in oil, but not sure if it’s a small number of problems. And what causes it?

Is the 2.3 in the Ranger the same exact engine that’s in the Explorer and mustang?

Im just curious about the strength and durability of the block and if it’s capable of handling a life of towing in the Rangers?

I’m trying to find out as much information on the 2.3. From what I’ve read it’s a semi open block, and it’s basically the same as the 2.0 ecoboost, but the 2.0 ecoboost is closed block and is said to be more robust?

Also, why hasn’t Ford gone with dual injection with this engine, like every engine in the F150?

Any information is appreciated.
I'm here for the long run and will be the first to let everyone know if something else explodes lol...116,000+ miles...expensive hiccup at 95k = minus one transmission...but knock on wood, engine and everything else still running like a clock...

Last edited:

Danny RN

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Retired Army/Registered Nurse.
Yeah I hear you. I guess I want my cake too. I’m starting to wonder if it would just be more economical for me to buy a little commuter car and then buy a single cab F150 3.3 naturally aspirated 6.

My dilemma is, I only buy new. I hate buying used as I always do recommended maintenance thousands of miles before the due time.

I just would love the Ranger due to its size. I could probably do everything with the truck, play and work, I just want the engine to hold up.
Do you keep your trucks 15 years? People talk about reliability like the engines blow up at 50K miles. Or they talk about "long term reliability" and they sell the truck 4 years in. No one on here is going to convince you of anything. You clearly feel the turbo will fail. All we can do is give our personal stories. I am 40k miles in. Zero issues. My '14 taco off road had 2 warranty repairs under 36k. That is my experience. No one here can guarantee an engine..ANY engine..will last 300K miles.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
just my guess with no hard evidence but id bet the 2.3 will outlast most of the 5g ranger in general. transmission for sure, electronics most likely. some of the bolt on things for the motor may go to poo after high mileage but thats sorta expected. ive noticed that marine engine companies like illmore and mercruiser have been using the 2.3 ecoboost. they dont screw around or polish any turds. engines in boats have a rough life most times. so the folks that sell marine engines dont adopt anything that is not a trustworthy base to build on. the engines that dont prove to be durable they drop from production quickly.

Dean

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 1988 Merkur Scorpio, 1959 Austin Healey Sprite
Occupation
Embedded SW Engineer
Definitely, Boat motors never get a rest. It is like they are on a dyno all the time.

I had no idea they were using the Ecoboost in marine applications. I'll have to look that up.

The lower end on the 2.3 has forged components, and I am not too worried about that. The only thing I can see happening is a turbo refurb at some point.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Do you keep your trucks 15 years? People talk about reliability like the engines blow up at 50K miles. Or they talk about "long term reliability" and they sell the truck 4 years in. No one on here is going to convince you of anything. You clearly feel the turbo will fail. All we can do is give our personal stories. I am 40k miles in. Zero issues. My '14 taco off road had 2 warranty repairs under 36k. That is my experience. No one here can guarantee an engine..ANY engine..will last 300K miles.
FWIW, I have been driving turbo charged 4cyl vehicles continuously since 1985. I that time I have accumulated about 3/4 of a million miles. I have never had an internal engine or turbo failure on any of them. The high miler had 240,000 miles on it when my son wrapped it around a tree. My 89 Shelby Daytona had 200,000 miles on it when I made the decision to thin out my herd of vehicles and the Shelby was sold. Both of these vehicles and all the others ran great when I got rid of them. It was other reasons that I moved on.

The turbo is one of the simplest devices in a vehicle today and there is no reason not to expect it to last 500,000 miles or more if properly maintained. 18 wheelers regularly go over 500,000 miles without and engine or turbo rebuild.

In the world of reliability engineering ALL products fall under the characteristic life cycle curve. This curve is often referred to as the bath tube curve because of its shape. Basically a product will have a high failure rate when new which will decrease down to a low and constant failure rate until it starts to wear out and the failure rate will go back up. What this means is statistically you are much more likely to have a failure during your warranty than at 100k or even 150k.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Definitely, Boat motors never get a rest. It is like they are on a dyno all the time.

I had no idea they were using the Ecoboost in marine applications. I'll have to look that up.

The lower end on the 2.3 has forged components, and I am not too worried about that. The only thing I can see happening is a turbo refurb at some point.
https://www.indmar.com/engines/23l-ecoboost/
heres one

Reactions: Doc

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired