First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
IT
How does nobody make a locking gas plug for these trucks??
Sponsored

OP
OP
FordRacing

FordRacing

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
IT
are you worried about siphoning or vandalism?

siphoning is probably taken care of by design.
vandalism....just dont piss off your neighbors with a loud exhaust and ripping from the driveway at early morning hours.

more worried about some yahoo putting something in the tank. and the stock exhaust is fine with me.. :)

OP
OP
FordRacing

FordRacing

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
IT

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT 302A 4x2 Rapid Red Black Appear Package
Occupation
Management
They do...

I googled locking gas cap for Ford trucks and had alot of results.

Screenshot_20210430-174208_Google.jpg
This will not work on a Ranger. This plug was designed for the earlier years F150(15-18). Since then, Ford redesigned the capless fuel filler.

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I am shaking in my skivies lemme tell ya. Perhaps reading a post and not assuming may help them later. Joined less than a month and already tons of messages, when people show their true colors with that 1st impression it makes life easier... click, walk away. ?
Hi Mike,

Not sure what provoked a response in red.... I was quite amused that such a thing existed for a system that was under development at the time with the objective that you did not need a locking device. Never pursued it further...still believe that the capless system thwarts most if not all attempts to steal gas or cause damage to the owner's fuel system...

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

FloggingBishop

First Name
Tyler W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Operator
I am more amused that Ford didn’t just have the hatch lock with a release in the cabin like many other vehicles.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I am more amused that Ford didn’t just have the hatch lock with a release in the cabin like many other vehicles.
Hi Tyler,

It saves a damaged gas door pried open by a screwdriver....

FloggingBishop

First Name
Tyler W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Operator
Hi Tyler,

It saves a damaged gas door pried open by a screwdriver....
I see.... but based on what I have seen here on the boards, people have a greater concern about being able to secure their fuel supply... my scion had one and it was a mechanical release, my previous vehicle before that (Chrysler) was electronic. Had no issues with either. Honda, Toyota, and I am sure many other manufacturers apparently disagree with that stance. I honestly feel it’s in tune with the heated steering wheel not being available. Boils down to not wanting to add anything more then they think they must, or cutting as much as can be gotten away with. Yes this Ranger is based on the SA and Australia variants however, the Ford Escape has a very similar interior, the heated steering wheel could have easily been added with zero engineering other then changing fuse panel and adding a switch (I’m not as ignorant to think there isn’t really much more to it). Or the quality of the paint. I have had paint chipping that can’t just be chalked up to hitting crap on the road. I have a big chip with no denting or sign of impact. Even the dealer says it’s strange that it happened. Or how about my factory installed dent? There are some cost cuttings for sure, but not enough to have turned me off. I will say this, the only reason I ended up in a Ranger was the amazing dealership experience and the local Chevy people apparently not liking money. 100%.
Many people have pointed out little things like the plastic tailgate handles which we all joked about, my self included, but it is also obvious that Ford is not as built tough as they used to be. I paid $52k (Canadian pesos) for my FX4 Lariat after trade in of my Scion xD. A locking gas panel door, and a heated steering wheel would add little to the over all cost that would probably be passed on to the buyer, however the Ranger is priced at the high end of the small truck market if not one of the highest (some of the TRD Tacos get up there and the Honda can too). Yes Ford has given a lot of options, options that are basically 3-5 years from coming standard if they want to stay competitive. I sort of shake my head at the little things that were done for cost savings. The foam like panel on the engine, used to be plastic (I don’t care about it, just an example and I am sure it serves a purpose), the tailgate handles on some other models, only the Lariat has that shroud under the hood, the no gas cap thing (which is a weird hill to die on for Ford) the sort of cheap interior plastics, the quality of the leather in the lariat (I already have stitching out of the steering wheel and back seat and not from my doing) the overall plastic quality inside. Most things I am not bothered by but it shows that they will go as far as they think they can get away with.... honestly too, the Colorado/Canyon aren’t bad trucks (lack of options and a shitty dealer we’re what turned me away), and if Toyota ever updates the Hilux/Tacoma body, I might actually reconsider.
Rant sort of over. I’m tired and it’s snowing and I am still at work.
Thanks Phil, I genuinely appreciate your input, and loved that Saleen story you told me, but the screwdriver thing is a stretch/excuse.

GitRDone

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT
Occupation
Real estate management
Actually on the Ranger if you didn't know better (as we do), the fuel door appears to be locked if you try to pull on it. Only the savvy saboteur would think to push on it to release it.

FloggingBishop

First Name
Tyler W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Operator
nothing worse than pulling that lever, feeling resistance, and then none....as the cable snaps and your fuel door still isnt open.
Same can be said about cars with a trunk release. In the 22 years I’ve been driving I have only once had the trunk release not work, and it was electrical. I get your point but you can make that argument about anything. Nothing like putting your foot on the brake to have it go to the floor and you continue to accelerate, nothing like turning the shower on in the morning and there being no hot water. (I realize the difference with being stranded and no gas). I am only saying there are many different ways to skin a cat any many different cats to skin my guy. If Ford doesn’t make it possible to lock the gas cap they could make it possible to isolate the fuel door. Everyone has a hood release unless you’re fancy and have pins. Yet no one is complaining about the hood release snapping being a deal breaker in buying a ranger

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Actually on the Ranger if you didn't know better (as we do), the fuel door appears to be locked if you try to pull on it. Only the savvy saboteur would think to push on it to release it.
Really?

It seemed pretty obvious to me. Don't recall having an issue with it at my first fillup.

In fact, the little indent looks like a button and screams "push here!"

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I've been using Ford's capless fuel fillers for over a decade. Never had an issue with them.

And why would anybody have worries about theft or vandalism? Unless you live in Beirut chances are slim on both.

FloggingBishop

First Name
Tyler W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Operator
I've been using Ford's capless fuel fillers for over a decade. Never had an issue with them.

And why would anybody have worries about theft or vandalism? Unless you live in Beirut chances are slim on both.
I won’t lie, I have thought about someone messing around with it. Won’t lie I also have been angry and did have the thought pass through my head to mess with a certain D Bags car too, but then I remembered I am an adult.... but not everyone is.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat

Or, possibly, Southeast Alabama. You’d be amazed at what is stolen off of locked vehicles in this area.

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT 302A 4x2 Rapid Red Black Appear Package
Occupation
Management
I didn't say it would work. I SAID GOOGLED FORD TRUCKS!!! The OP said none are made. I never SAID I searched for a RANGER!!!

The ignore feature is awesome....
Respectfully, what was the relevance of posting the cap if it didn't fit a Ranger?
Actually, the OP didn't say "none were made" until post 5 (after you posted the part #, which was not for a Ranger). then I pretty much clarified there wasn't one available for a Ranger in post #6.
Correct me, please, if I am wrong, but there have been no locking "plugs" since 2019 for any Ford vehicle. The capless fuel filler was redesigned after that year, so the only plug made would not fit the redesign anyways. Guess Ford didn't see a need for it any longer, yet alone a redesign of the plug.
Sponsored

Last edited: