First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Project manager
This is regarding mid size trucks only: I know with the ranger you can lock the rear anytime. I had an Xterra for 13 years & you could only lock in 4lo(unless you mod it). Same with frontier and even with the new frontier. I have heard Tacoma is same only locking in 4lo. GM/Chevy offer front & rear locker & not sure when you can lock those(does anyone know?). Also heard the GM/Chevy locker is a different type of locker? They also include auto 4wd. Jeep gladiator can only lock in 4lo. What would be the reason to only allow it in 4 lo? I like being able to lock anytime. I’m sure we would all like a factory front locker option but I would also like the 4auto included. I’d imagine the 24 ranger will be the same with no auto or front locker option.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

Azhang253

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
Occupation
Network Engineer
This is regarding mid size trucks only: I know with the ranger you can lock the rear anytime. I had an Xterra for 13 years & you could only lock in 4lo(unless you mod it). Same with frontier and even with the new frontier. I have heard Tacoma is same only locking in 4lo. GM/Chevy offer front & rear locker & not sure when you can lock those(does anyone know?). Also heard the GM/Chevy locker is a different type of locker? They also include auto 4wd. Jeep gladiator can only lock in 4lo. What would be the reason to only allow it in 4 lo? I like being able to lock anytime. I’m sure we would all like a factory front locker option but I would also like the 4auto included. I’d imagine the 24 ranger will be the same with no auto or front locker option.
I think the reason for only locking in 4 lo / under 20mph or whatever is to prevent users from "hoonigan-ing" :LOL: Lack of a front locker likely due to not wanted tons of busted axle shafts, ect. The ranger isn't really marketed as a hardcore off-roader. That being said, you will go 99% of places with just a rear locker.

The G80 is an automatic locker that essentially uses centrifugal force flywheel system to engage once wheelspin reaches a certain amount. That seems pretty cool and really nice to daily driving, but i don't believe you can lock it on demand like an e-locker. If you want something that's almost a locker and 100% autonomous, look into a torsen limited slip. Edit: The G80 also uses clutch plates, instead of a metal-metal keyed locking assembly. Clutch plates may result in some unwanted slip is high stress environments (ie 1 wheel up in the air on a rock). They will also wear over time. They do have better road characteristics and are great when both wheels are firmly on the ground, ie sand, roads, ect. They have a bit more "give" leading to overall less stress and a gentler driving feel.

With just a rear locker in my JK, i've never had an issue unless I got my belly hung up or it was just a really, really hard obstacle. You do need to use more momentum at times though. Front and Rear lockers in my XJ basically felt like cheating haha!

Last edited:
OP
OP
JalanX

JalanX

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Project manager
I think the reason for only locking in 4 lo / under 20mph or whatever is to prevent users from "hoonigan-ing" :LOL: Lack of a front locker likely due to not wanted tons of busted axle shafts, ect. The ranger isn't really marketed as a hardcore off-roader. That being said, you will go 99% of places with just a rear locker.

The G80 is an automatic locker that essentially uses centrifugal force flywheel system to engage once wheelspin reaches a certain amount. That seems pretty cool and really nice to daily driving, but i don't believe you can lock it on demand like an e-locker. If you want something that's almost a locker and 100% autonomous, look into a torsen limited slip.

With just a rear locker in my JK, i've never had an issue unless I got my belly hung up or it was just a really, really hard obstacle. You do need to use more momentum at times though. Front and Rear lockers in my XJ basically felt like cheating haha!
Ok so the G80 is the gm/Chevy and they offer front and rear but when switches on it will only lock when needed. As opposed to ours where when we lock it it’s locked

Azhang253

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
Occupation
Network Engineer
Ok so the G80 is the gm/Chevy and they offer front and rear but when switches on it will only lock when needed. As opposed to ours where when we lock it it’s locked
I'm not 100% sure, but I think it depends. Some trims of the Colorado will come with the G80 auto "locker". But if you get a ZR2 and add selectable lockers, those will be eaton e-lockers, same as with the Ranger. These are selectable on/off. When you select "locked," that baby is locked until you break something or turn it off. Edit: or as D Fresh noted, if you go past the speed limit.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I think the reason for only locking in 4 lo / under 20mph or whatever is to prevent users from "hoonigan-ing" :LOL: Lack of a front locker likely due to not wanted tons of busted axle shafts, ect.
FYI the Ranger locker is also speed limited. It will disengage above 20-25mph.

Unless you keep your foot buried in it, I.E. hooning.:wink:

Azhang253

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
Occupation
Network Engineer
FYI the Ranger locker is also speed limited. It will disengage above 20-25mph.

Unless you keep your foot buried in it, I.E. hooning.:wink:
Thanks! I didn't know that. I was hoping it didn't have that limitation, so I could go hooning in 2wd at the dunes haha

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Thanks! I didn't know that. I was hoping it didn't have that limitation, so I could go hooning in 2wd at the dunes haha
You certainly can, just...
download (1).jpeg

Although. If you buy a 2wd, you'll never be able to truly hoon it.

Unless the TM mod works on 2wd trucks, which I can't imagine it does.

In our trucks a long button push will disable AdvanceTrak, Ford's stability control. But even with AdvanceTrak disabled RSC, Roll Stability Control, is still active. RSC will shut down the fun at about 35° of angle when giving her the beans.

The ONLY way to disable RSC in our trucks is with Sand Mode. Sand Mode is only available in FX-4 trucks and Rangers that have been modded with the Terrain Management switch and ForScan to have it.

So hooning a Ranger on the street or low traction 2wd situations is only doable to a degree.

If you really want to get her sideways you'll need 4wd, ForScan, a switch, and a low traction surface at a minimum.

OP
OP
JalanX

JalanX

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Project manager
download (1).jpeg

In our trucks a long button push will disable AdvanceTrak, Ford's stability control. But even with AdvanceTrak disabled RSC, Roll Stability Control, is still active. RSC will shut down the fun at about 35° of angle when giving her the beans.

The ONLY way to disable RSC in our trucks is with Sand Mode. Sand Mode is only available in FX-4 trucks and Rangers that have been modded with the Terrain Management switch and ForScan to have it.

So hooning a Ranger on the street or low traction 2wd situations is only doable to a degree.

If you really want to get her sideways you'll need 4wd, ForScan, a switch, and a low traction surface at a minimum.
And Tremors have sand mode, don’t forget about us ?

Azhang253

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
Occupation
Network Engineer
download (1).jpeg

Wow didn't know all that, thanks! I ordered a 4x4 with rear locker, no FX4. Maybe I'll add the terrain management later. Guess I'll save the hooning for my jeeps! No nannies there

Edit.
I'm also trying really, really hard not to build yet ANOTHER off-road vehicle! Already have 2, don't need a 3rd. But sometimes daydreaming gets carried away

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
And Tremors have sand mode, don’t forget about us ?
As a 2020 owner I still think of the Tremors as FX-4+
Wow didn't know all that, thanks! I ordered a 4x4 with rear locker, no FX4. Maybe I'll add the terrain management later. Guess I'll save the hooning for my jeeps! No nannies there

Edit.
I'm also trying really, really hard not to build yet ANOTHER off-road vehicle! Already have 2, don't need a 3rd. But sometimes daydreaming gets carried away
Might want to read through here and get your switch and ForScan license setup now. The switch might be hard to get ahold of.

This should get you started.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/adding-the-terrain-management-system.11533/

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
but I would also like the 4auto included
The interior photos I have seen of the new Ranger shows a 4Auto position on the selector knob, so I expect It to be available on the new Ranger. I would also love that option.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
The interior photos I have seen of the new Ranger shows a 4Auto position on the selector knob, so I expect It to be available on the new Ranger. I would also love that option.
+1 for high probability of a 4 Auto, similar to what the Bronco (and maybe F-150) have. I would like that option too, works well on snowy roads where you can be constantly changing from 4WD to 2WD and back. Also good for default mode when the wife drives.

Reactions: Doc

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
I have a 2022 xlt fx2

Might sound a little as to but why? 4x2 locker, really, ??? But oh man the sand!! So much better driving experience! Trailers in a field, the hunting dove in the middle of a field, driving up a levee, mud!!!!!!! I had a regular 4x2 2020 ranger and all that stuff was so much harder!!! And i still have my 1700lb cargo capacity!

And i have found once i hit 25, it turns off, the below 25, back on again!!

My uncle has a chevy 1500 early 2000s model with the g80, and its a beast too. 350. But.....................
I have to get the tires spinning for the locker to engage, so its a bit more, primitive? Not as easy as hitting a switch and oh what finesse!
And the other uncle has a tacoma that only spins one tire per axle( 4x4)
So its not like he has a huge advantage. He has open diffs of course. And only 2 tires spinning like my ranger and the chevy.
Well, dont know where im going with this.....
But the elocker is really good to have, and never going back to a one tire spin! Yes 4x4 argument but thats extra weight away from payload and thats what a bronco is for.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Why would you have a lovker in the first place? Well as.most already know its to get maximum traction OffRoad. Why lock in only in 4Lo? Beats the hell out of me. I can understand being able to lock in 4WD. In 2WD I'm curious as to why you would in the first place. If you are OffRoad you should be in 4WD, simple as that. On pavement you shouldn't have the locker engaged due to the fact you have a hogh chance of causing damage to the drivetrain.

4WD Auto...... A system that many think is a great idea.... Here is the thing, any transfercase that has the Auto Function is not going to be as strong as you want compared to a transfercase without that function. Why is that? Well to put simple its a cheap AWD kit. How doea it operate? Well in 2WD the front(assuming rear is primary drive) will be unlocked. In 4WD the front will be locked in a way. In 4WD Auto the transfercase will be going in and out of 4WD. How does it do thay you ask? Well it will lock the gears in the transfercase for 4WD but it also uses a BallRamp type clutch to engage the transfercase to front driveshaft. Over time that clutch will either wear out or just break. On most of the transfercase with that clutch the clutch is not serviceable. That makes it where you are going to have to fork out a bunch for a new transfercase instead of the option to rebuild.

Types of lockers. You have air and electric. To my understanding manufacturers are using elwctric lockers from the factory. When you think about it they are nice. How so you ask? Well for starters you dont have to worry about air leaks that can happen with an air locker(more common then not). Many try to say that e lockers are weak and not worth going to. If an E-Locker was weak then how come many vehicles are using them with no issue? It all comes down to how uts being used. If i had the option I would put a front e-locker in my Pathfinder, but unfortunately its not available. Air lockers are considered tougher, and in general they are. If you actually need that strength and its avalible for that application then go for it. If you dont need that strength and you feel E-Locker is better then choose that option.

Reactions: EJH

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
4wd auto has been around forever in full size trucks. My dad has a 1988 Silverado with 4wd auto and it’s still going strong. Im not a heavy off-roader and don’t need 4Lo, but I do need 4wd and use it practically every week on poorly maintained roads around my cabin. On the roads I drive I’m engaging and disengaging 4wd frequently. So, yeah, I think 4wd auto is a great idea!
Sponsored