Lock Fob in Truck

DiscoBatman

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Any way to lock the fob in the truck and just use the valet key to unlock it?

Going to be on water all day and would prefer not to take the fob with me. Otherwise I zip lock bag it a million times.
Sponsored

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
If you have the Ranger Keypad you can lock the FOB in the truck. You have to use the Keypad to lock it (pressing 7/8 & 8/9 locks all doors).

BUT, do yourself a favor and HIDE your FOB in the truck and do not leave it visible (which screams here are my keys).

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
If you have the hitch, they make a lock box insert. Or you could get a magnetic one to hide under a bumper or something.

I think you can lock the fob in the truck, just not while it's running.

SafetyDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 V2 - Ranger Lariat, FX4, 501A, Trailer Tow (Lightning Blue), V1- Lariat, FX4, 500A, Trailer Tow (Ingot Silver) <Epic Fail - Lemon>
Vehicle Showcase
If you have the hitch, they make a lock box insert. Or you could get a magnetic one to hide under a bumper or something.

You can lock the FOB in the truck (Don't ask). thank good ness that the smart phone app unlock worked....

kneeler

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger lariet
You can lock/unlock your truck with the FordPass phone app... on the assumption you're taking a phone with you.

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase

Wouldn't that allow opening the doors by touching them since the Fob would be outside and close enough to allow unlocking by touch?

MSG W

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat everything on it but Chrome Package
Vehicle Showcase
Wouldn't that allow opening the doors by touching them since the Fob would be outside and close enough to allow unlocking by touch?
no I went out this weekend and locked my fob in the Back under my cover. doors locked fine and opened with the key pad. Only issue was after I removed my fishing gear and got in the truck, the key fob was still in the back. LOL had it get out from under the fishing gear to drive off. ;)

BDoc

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 SCrew
Occupation
US Air Force, retired; now Civil Service (USAF)
Vehicle Showcase
If it's like my Subaru, then the fob has to be within 12 or so inches to work. Any further away and it won't unlock by touch.

svache

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew Saber, 2012 BMW 328i
Vehicle Showcase
If you have the Ranger Keypad you can lock the FOB in the truck. You have to use the Keypad to lock it (pressing 7/8 & 8/9 locks all doors).

BUT, do yourself a favor and HIDE your FOB in the truck and do not leave it visible (which screams here are my keys).
I'm kind of glad not to have a keypad. I had it on a '16 Explorer and in that vehicle you could find the mastercode printed underneath the fusebox. I don't know if it is the same with the Ranger, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's the case. And, if so, it would only take one break-in (or a sketchy valet or mechanic) to always get access to a vehicle without the owners even knowing.

I just read another thread on these forums, where they talked about the hitch safe and said the metals surrounding the box kind of worked like a faraday cage. I'm about to purchase one myself, they're just over 40 bucks on Amazon.

Snorebaby

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew, 1996 Ranger XLT Supercab, 2013 XLT F150 (Wife's), 1990 Honda Goldwing, 2015 Honda Goldwing
Vehicle Showcase
I'm kind of glad not to have a keypad. I had it on a '16 Explorer and in that vehicle you could find the mastercode printed underneath the fusebox. I don't know if it is the same with the Ranger, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's the case. And, if so, it would only take one break-in (or a sketchy valet or mechanic) to always get access to a vehicle without the owners even knowing.

I just read another thread on these forums, where they talked about the hitch safe and said the metals surrounding the box kind of worked like a faraday cage. I'm about to purchase one myself, they're just over 40 bucks on Amazon.
Since the Ranger pads are stick on, you get 2 cards with the master code on them. If you have to replace the keypad, the master code changes with the new pad.
Sponsored