Light binding of rear suspension just after fully stopped.

JCMAC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, Sport Pack
Occupation
Retired Systems Analyst
Ever since new my Ranger rear suspension seems the bind after coming to complete stop. I expected that it was the brakes but noticed that it does not do it in cooler/cold weather. That eliminates the brakes in my opinion. I am thinking it may be where the driveshaft connects to the transmission where I think there is a splined output shaft connection that may not be going in and out as the suspension settles at a stop. Don't know if it is a defective joint or lack of lubrication.

Next Step?
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Ever since new my Ranger rear suspension seems the bind after coming to complete stop. I expected that it was the brakes but noticed that it does not do it in cooler/cold weather. That eliminates the brakes in my opinion. I am thinking it may be where the driveshaft connects to the transmission where I think there is a splined output shaft connection that may not be going in and out as the suspension settles at a stop. Don't know if it is a defective joint or lack of lubrication.

Next Step?
Hi John,

Yep...need to have the dealer lube the slipyoke splines. For some reason the driveshaft manufacturer Dana, cannot get it right... There is a slip/stick thump. Sad that this continues as this is a systemic issue..

Best,
Phil

Mr.Scary

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger sport 4x4
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Hi John,

Yep...need to have the dealer lube the slipyoke splines. For some reason the driveshaft manufacturer Dana, cannot get it right... There is a slip/stick thump. Sad that this continues as this is a systemic issue..

Best,
Phil
i think i have the same problem. assume i know nothing but where would the slipyoke be located on our trucks?

OP
OP
JCMAC

JCMAC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Systems Analyst
i think i have the same problem. assume i know nothing but where would the slipyoke be located on our trucks?
They are at the forward end of each of the two parts of the drive shaft which goes to the rear end differential. The first attaches the shaft to the central differential and the second attaches to the end of the forward part of the two piece drive shaft. Hope I got that right!

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Hi John,

Best,
Phil
Agreed.

This is a fairly common issue with two-piece driveshafts. Back in the day you didn't need to take it in. Many had a grease zerk to lube the splines or it was easy to pull the u-joint bolts and separate the shaft to lube it. Now they put clamped rubber boots on there and have the band clamp tool and buy a kit to replace the existing one...

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
There is a single slip yoke on 4x4's, the rubber boot at the middle of the driveshaft with the thin metal band clamps, you have to remove one of the bands, get the Motorcraft PTFE lubricant, (dont use anything else) lube it up and you should be good to go, some people just use a zip tie to re-clamp the rubber boot, otherwise you have to source a metal clamp and the special pliers to compress it (you can cheat it with side cutters and a screwdriver)
I have done it on F150's and am about to do the ranger, this is such a age old problem with Ford driveshafts it's crazy, this problem started in the 90's and is still going strong.

OP
OP
JCMAC

JCMAC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Systems Analyst
Agreed.

This is a fairly common issue with two-piece driveshafts. Back in the day you didn't need to take it in. Many had a grease zerk to lube the splines or it was easy to pull the u-joint bolts and separate the shaft to lube it. Now they put clamped rubber boots on there and have the band clamp tool and buy a kit to replace the existing one...
Just got back from the Ford dealer service. They advized me that
Hi John,

Best,
Phil
Just got back from Ford Service. They advised me that slip joint service is not a warranty item and can be expensive due to removal of the rear drive shaft and also involves the loosening of the central bearing bolts. They also mentioned that service bulletin 21-2136 likely will resolve the issue. However, since the binding has stopped for now and they have to observe the phenomenon before doing the service bulletin I will likely have to wait until spring and warmer weather or get lucky that the binding reoccurs before then. This TSB supersedes TSB 20-2277 and is covered by warranty and involves reducing excessive rear axle pinion angles by changing rear axle pinion shims on the rear springs.

bloosh

First Name
Braelin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT

Just got back from Ford Service. They advised me that slip joint service is not a warranty item and can be expensive due to removal of the rear drive shaft and also involves the loosening of the central bearing bolts. They also mentioned that service bulletin 21-2136 likely will resolve the issue. However, since the binding has stopped for now and they have to observe the phenomenon before doing the service bulletin I will likely have to wait until spring and warmer weather or get lucky that the binding reoccurs before then. This TSB supersedes TSB 20-2277 and is covered by warranty and involves reducing excessive rear axle pinion angles by changing rear axle pinion shims on the rear springs.
I asked my dealer to grease the slip yoke, and they did it for me without any trouble. I didn't even try to get them to do it under warranty because I don't have the time or patience on my days off to try and get them to diagnose it. It ended up costing me about $160. It has made a huge difference so far, and even the start stop is so much smoother.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Hi John,

You need to find another dealer. This dealer service is just ducking their job....

best,
Phil

OP
OP
JCMAC

JCMAC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Systems Analyst
Hi John,

You need to find another dealer. This dealer service is just ducking their job....

best,
Phil
Just got my truck back after they changed the driver side rear spring. The sound/vibrations are gone for now. The noise may have been the front spring bushing. If it comes back will let you know.

OP
OP
JCMAC

JCMAC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Systems Analyst
Agreed.

Strangely enough, the dealer decided to replace the Driver Side rear leaf spring. Sound is gone for now!

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Were you actually hearing a thud? Sounds more like you were experiencing axle wrap.

OP
OP
JCMAC

JCMAC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Systems Analyst
Were you actually hearing a thud? Sounds more like you were experiencing axle wrap.
The service manager and I could feel it coming from the rear of the truck rather than hear it.
Sponsored