First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
So this is thing now. Happened to me last week.

I wonder if this type of thing will become more normal?
I can see this happening especially in the more infected parts. I remember when we were younger and my buddies car broke down the tow truck driver wouldn't let us sit in the towed car. I think he said it was something to do with the insurance/liability issue.
Sponsored

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
So this is thing now. Happened to me last week.

I wonder if this type of thing will become more normal? Tow trucks are making people stay in the towed vehicles even though it's illegal.
What happened?

Dokkenmire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Xlt Sport Supercrew 2wd
What happened?
My work truck kept shutting off for water in the fuel, I drained the filter and kept resetting it. Roadside repair changed all the filters and put 4 times the amount of additive needed to treat the fuel for water and it still wouldn't run. I ended up in a hotel till another driver picked me up the next day. The truck just got shipped back over a week later.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
My work truck kept shutting off for water in the fuel, I drained the filter and kept resetting it. Roadside repair changed all the filters and put 4 times the amount of additive needed to treat the fuel for water and it still wouldn't run. I ended up in a hotel till another driver picked me up the next day. The truck just got shipped back over a week later.
Wow!
Regards

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 E450 C-Class, 2019 Ranger Lariat 501A FX4
If work from home becomes more normalized, I would hope that more people start to see home broadband (real bandwidth, no caps) as a functional necessity (utility) and that it gets regulated as such (Title II), supported as such and expanded as such. Still pisses me off that a new apartment/condo/single family home development is built today and NOT served with fiber.

I’m also hoping that face masks and sanitizing of things becomes more normalized like it is some other countries. I went to the grocery store yesterday and was happy to see half the people where wearing a mask. I know many of them felt they were protecting themselves but really the masks do a lot to protect others and thats a good thing. Hopefully the stigma will disappear and people will do this anytime they get runny nose or a cough which will help keep all other seasonal ailments down a bit too.

caprtaineddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Corvette, 2020 Ranger Lariat
If work from home becomes more normalized, I would hope that more people start to see home broadband (real bandwidth, no caps) as a functional necessity (utility) and that it gets regulated as such (Title II), supported as such and expanded as such. Still pisses me off that a new apartment/condo/single family home development is built today and NOT served with fiber.

I’m also hoping that face masks and sanitizing of things becomes more normalized like it is some other countries. I went to the grocery store yesterday and was happy to see half the people where wearing a mask. I know many of them felt they were protecting themselves but really the masks do a lot to protect others and thats a good thing. Hopefully the stigma will disappear and people will do this anytime they get runny nose or a cough which will help keep all other seasonal ailments down a bit too.
Our internet connection is called VDSL2. Can anyone tell me what this really means?

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Our internet connection is called VDSL2. Can anyone tell me what this really means?
Gen 2 dig subscriber line. V=very high bit rate. Vdsl2 can deliver anywhere from 1.5meg up past 100meg with pair bonding and vectoring and within a short distance of the CO or DSLAM.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
It's an improved version of DSL (Digital Subscriber Line) good up to about 100MBS speeds.

808matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Sport Package, 2015 f450 Bucket Truck
Still pisses me off that a new apartment/condo/single family home development is built today and NOT served with fiber.
a lot of the new homes and high rises here on Oahu are getting fiber to the homes.

AtillaTheHung

First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger - 2010 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Systems Administrator
Vehicle Showcase
I was reading today on Fox news that Dolly Parton believes all this is a message from above. I tend to agree with her.
I agree entirely. Dolly is such a wholesome soul. I am religious, and to be honest this seems more like other things is amis. I feel like the entire world will change as we know it.

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a lot of the new homes and high rises here on Oahu are getting fiber to the homes.
As they should but nationally - there’s far too few that are. I think the state of broadband in this county probably deserves its own thread though.

AtillaTheHung

First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Systems Administrator
Vehicle Showcase
It's an improved version of DSL (Digital Subscriber Line) good up to about 100MBS speeds.
He'll be lucky if he gets 2-3Mbps.

DSL is such an old and wasted technology. It's essentially dial-up at this point.

EDIT: Just seen that it is VDSL2. Still a terrible technology.

Can't wait until we are all fiber.

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

DSL is such an old and wasted technology. It's essentially dial-up at this point.
It’s actually still quite viable and some telcos have it up to 140meg now but it’s definitely not the standard by any means and definitely not docsis or gpon. It’s good to see companies playing with tech like g.fast and g.hn but unfortunately, being solely for profit enterprises they predominately target low cost high density opportunity like multi family when it comes upgrading existing homes.

Cable companies are in a better place with docsis but that’s not totally ubiquitous and we all know how cable companies behave when the know their customers don’t have options.

AtillaTheHung

First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Systems Administrator
Vehicle Showcase
It’s actually still quite viable and some telcos have it up to 140meg now but it’s definitely not the standard by any means and definitely not docsis or gpon. It’s good to see companies playing with tech like g.fast and g.hn but unfortunately, being solely for profit enterprises they only target low cost high density opportunity like multi family.

Cable companies are in a better place with docsis but that’s not totally ubiquitous and we all know how cable companies behave when the know their customers don’t have options.

It's viable in areas that are close to the CO. Otherwise, like rural Tennessee, it's useless.

You get less jitter and virtually no congestion during busy times, which is nice.

But in my area it is completely useless. I am roughly 4,500ft away from CO, sadly.

Although it is awesome we are seeing competition. Bell can literally flip a switch and compete with cable in my area.

But what is more economically viable? Fiber, copper, 5g, or Elon's Starlink finally being deployed?

It's gonna be interesting to see in ~10 years. I work in IT and we are all fiber here. We don't have VoIP yet, and are still using PRI for phone lines.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4

EDIT: Just seen that it is VDSL2. Still a terrible technology.

Can't wait until we are all fiber.
DSL was a cheap way to get internet to rural areas because it used existing telephone lines, and of course it is limited by those same telephone lines.

Yeah, the theoretical 100 MBPS was if the planets were in alignment and their combined gravity helped, your personal aura was in sync with the phase of the moon, and you used the right brand of soap.

Oh yeah, you also had to be close to the DSLAM.

Infrastructure is not there yet for fiber in many areas.

Heck, until only about a year ago the best I could get in my area was bonded DSL.
Sponsored