Letting Others Drive Your New Ranger

Ric

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
I have a friend I’ve known for nearly 50 years, who fixed my hood overhang. When he finished he needed to pick up a large piece of equipment from the hardware store. I threw him the keys. I’d give him a kidney if he needed it. My truck is replaceable, my friendships aren’t.
Sponsored

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
It has too much horsepower for most people. "Never a lender or a borrow be."

Deleted member 1634

My wife has been driving mine for the last few weeks. She broke her left foot over the July 4th weekend and thus can't drive her stick-shift Corolla. So we've swapped vehicles for a bit. Hopefully we can switch back soon so I can get back to enjoying my new truck.

She does continue to ask on trips if I want her to drive for a bit, and gets mildly upset when I say I'm fine driving the whole way.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Its just not an issue... I did lend my 2001 a couple of times and my wife drove it a few miles, but in 18 years and 185,000 miles, I am sure others drove it less than 500 miles total. I expect it will be the same with my 2019.
As long as the TC runs, my wife will show no interest in driving the Ranger.

MSG W

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat everything on it but Chrome Package
Vehicle Showcase
I drive, others can drive if they make a payment! My wife drove mine 20 feet when my tractor had an issue and I needed it towed that far.

Murphie

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X2, 2023 Hyundai Santa Fe
Occupation
Financial Auditor - Retired
When people ask to borrow your truck, do you refuse, throw them the keys or offer to drive for them?

I know knowing someone who has a truck really helps out now and then. I guess I am in the category that I am happy to help by donating both my truck and my time to drive it when we can work scheduling out.

What is your approach when someone asks to borrow your Ranger?
Borrow? No I won't. But to be fair, I wouldn't let anyone borrow any other vehicle I've had. My wife is certainly more than welcome to drive it, but so far has declined to even take it for a test drive. :( The only other person that's driven my Ranger is my neighbor - he and I went for a test drive since he's been really interested in them.

Last edited:

jjaneba

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
My brother-in-law asked to use mine to move 4 days after I bought it. I've never laughed that hard in my entire life. My wife has driven it once because I had a few that night and she didn't. Other than that nobody touches my truck.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
My brother-in-law asked to use mine to move 4 days after I bought it. I've never laughed that hard in my entire life. My wife has driven it once because I had a few that night and she didn't. Other than that nobody touches my truck.
next week he will ask to borrow it to pick up some stone... lol.

svache

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew Saber, 2012 BMW 328i
Vehicle Showcase
I hate it when someone moves my seat (why's there no seat memory? :crying:), soooo no, lol. Don't even like it when my wife drives it, although I can't really say no to that haha

UncleBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 2WD in Magnetic
Occupation
Retired
The only person who has driven my truck besides myself is my daughter. I trust her as her daily drive is a big ol' Tundra and she is very competent.

Craig

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
When people ask to borrow your truck, do you refuse, throw them the keys or offer to drive for them?

I know knowing someone who has a truck really helps out now and then. I guess I am in the category that I am happy to help by donating both my truck and my time to drive it when we can work scheduling out.

I don't have enough miles on mine, I still park way out in the parking lot.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase

I tell them the truth, which is that I do not ask to drive anybody else's vehicle, and I do not allow anyone else to drive my vehicle. If I bang up your car, or you crash mine, are we still friends?