First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
When I first bought my Lariat, the gauge pack was one of the few down-sides to the Lariat package in my eyes. I preferred the XLT pack, but wanting a number of the Lariat specific features, I thought to live with the original.

With the APIM swapped out to add Navigation, I got the Nav screen to work on the Lariat's right hand display then realized the screen is just too obscured to really be useful.

So, decided that if I could not have a usable Nav screen on the dash, why continue to live with the gauges?

A quick trip to a local breaker netted a stupid new XLT gauge pack (515 miles)

As others have noted, pop the left and right driver's vent's off, pull the steering wheel out and down as far as it goes and a handful of screws later, the old cluster is out and new is in.

Now comes the fun part! The Lariat's right hand switch pack on the steering wheel still correctly controlled the volume, but the upper half of the switches became inert. No response from the APIM or IPC.

Knowing the Lariat and XLT have different switches on the steering wheel, I snagged a XLT's switch on-line. The install was a bit finicky.

The airbag was stunningly easy to pop out and the 4 obvious screws for the steering wheel switch surround were easy, the last two top ones that are only accessible with the steering wheel canted took a bit of looking to find.

With the air bag out and all 6 screws out, freeing the bottom two retaining clips was easy, but the top two don't seem to have any means of access and had to be finessed.

Once off, swapping out the switch and a full reassemble was a snap.

Only problem now, NONE of the right hand switches work! Looks like it's time to do a line by line compare of at least the APIM, IPC and SCCM settings. I've looked through the ForScan forum's F150 data and it looks like the F150 and Ranger differ enough to make the "as built" compares necessary.

Once I get things sorted out, I'll post the ForScan changes needed. While a slim chance, have hopes that perhaps getting Nav to display on the XLT's center display might be possible.
Sponsored

Dustanmont

First Name
Dustan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Wishing you the best of luck and hoping that this is possible. Will stay tuned for updates.

Ranger Danger01

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
When I first bought my Lariat, the gauge pack was one of the few down-sides to the Lariat package in my eyes. I preferred the XLT pack, but wanting a number of the Lariat specific features, I thought to live with the original.

With the APIM swapped out to add Navigation, I got the Nav screen to work on the Lariat's right hand display then realized the screen is just too obscured to really be useful.

So, decided that if I could not have a usable Nav screen on the dash, why continue to live with the gauges?

As others have noted, pop the left and right driver's vent's off, pull the steering wheel out and down as far as it goes and a handful of screws later, the old cluster is out and new is in.

Now comes the fun part! The Lariat's right hand switch pack on the steering wheel still correctly controlled the volume, but the upper half of the switches became inert. No response from the APIM or IPC.

Knowing the Lariat and XLT have different switches on the steering wheel, I snagged a XLT's switch on-line. The install was a bit finicky.

The airbag was stunningly easy to pop out and the 4 obvious screws for the steering wheel switch surround were easy, the last two top ones that are only accessible with the steering wheel canted took a bit of looking to find.

With the air bag out and all 6 screws out, freeing the bottom two retaining clips was easy, but the top two don't seem to have any means of access and had to be finessed.

Only problem now, NONE of the right hand switches work! Looks like it's time to do a line by line compare of at least the APIM, IPC and SCCM settings. I've looked through the ForScan forum's F150 data and it looks like the F150 and Ranger differ enough to make the "as built" compares necessary.

Once I get things sorted out, I'll post the ForScan changes needed. While a slim chance, have hopes that perhaps getting Nav to display on the XLT's center display might be possible.
Dang...wish I would have known you were doing a swap. I would have swaped all of my XLT stuff for your Lariat stuff (steering wheel switches and all). But reading yours lets me know that I will probably have to get a new right hand switch on the steering wheel to make the Lariat gauge cluster work. And hey...you're only in Tampa...what's that from here...about a 7hour drive...plus I've got a friend of mine that lives down there.

Caluke

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Automotive tech
I have an XLT and Forscan if you need any of my as built data I’ll send it your way. Good luck with the swap!

OP
OP
SOHK_Alumni

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
So far, still dead in the water for the right hand switch pack.

On off chance I got duff pack from RockAuto, bought another from Ford. Same issue, no response at all.

Have been wading through the As Built data. 1 diff between XLT and Lariat IPC, none I can find in the APIM.

Just a bit frustrated, but I've not put a ton of time into it yet.

Allen_rubin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport

Shot you a message

5G Dan-O

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Ford ASSET Instructor - Program Director
So far, still dead in the water for the right hand switch pack.

On off chance I got duff pack from RockAuto, bought another from Ford. Same issue, no response at all.

Have been wading through the As Built data. 1 diff between XLT and Lariat IPC, none I can find in the APIM.

Just a bit frustrated, but I've not put a ton of time into it yet.
Did you change the RH switch setting in the SCCM? I have a similar problem with my XLT swap in my Lariat and need to get the RH switches working.

OP
OP
SOHK_Alumni

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
Did you change the RH switch setting in the SCCM? I have a similar problem with my XLT swap in my Lariat and need to get the RH switches working.
Yes, after swapping in the XLT spec switch pack, a single Forscan change to the SCCM did the trick. Change is posted in the Forscan wiki thread.

5G Dan-O

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Ford ASSET Instructor - Program Director
Yes, after swapping in the XLT spec switch pack, a single Forscan change to the SCCM did the trick. Change is posted in the Forscan wiki thread.
Perfect. I thank you for your input.
I had done a million searches, I didn't see that part.

Thanks again

Tbalt14

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electronic tech
Do you have a link to that thread? Thinking about doing this to my lariat. Do all of the lariat menu screens show up on the XLT cluster? Thanks
Sponsored