Lariat reupholstery

William Bauer

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I like my Ranger (Lariat, FX4), but I don't like leather, and especially not black leather. I purchased my truck in January 2019, and had the seat inserts replaced with fabric in March, leaving some of the original leather and the Ranger seat embossing to match the rest of the interior. This happens to be an F150 fabric the upholsterer had on hand, and it looks as good today as when it was done. They also added a layer of 1/2" padding at my request. They even added padding to the sections that remain leather.

Seat heaters work great even with the padding. I feel the heat within a couple seconds of turning it on. For locals to San Diego, it was done at El Cajon Auto Trim. He and his crew did the work in 5 hours for $700 for both front and back seats. He puts no time limit on guaranteeing his work.

Sorry I don't have a better photo. If you zoom in, you can see the pattern in the cloth. That's assuming the full resolution is kept when I post. This is my first post to the forums.

Bill

IMG_20190419_151608.jpg
Sponsored

Rene Michaels

First Name
SOLD IT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Supercrew 4X2 5' Box Lariat
I like my Ranger (Lariat, FX4), but I don't like leather, and especially not black leather. I purchased my truck in January 2019, and had the seat inserts replaced with fabric in March, leaving some of the original leather and the Ranger seat embossing to match the rest of the interior. This happens to be an F150 fabric the upholsterer had on hand, and it looks as good today as when it was done. They also added a layer of 1/2" padding at my request. They even added padding to the sections that remain leather.

Seat heaters work great even with the padding. I feel the heat within a couple seconds of turning it on. For locals to San Diego, it was done at El Cajon Auto Trim. He and his crew did the work in 5 hours for $700 for both front and back seats. He puts no time limit on guaranteeing his work.

Sorry I don't have a better photo. If you zoom in, you can see the pattern in the cloth. That's assuming the full resolution is kept when I post. This is my first post to the forums.

Bill

IMG_20190419_151608.jpg

Very nice. I agree with you about the so called "leather". I think I would have gone with better leather instead of fabric though ...expensive I know.

OP
OP

William Bauer

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Very nice. I agree with you about the so called "leather". I think I would have gone with better leather instead of fabric though ...expensive I know.
It was never about the Ranger leather for me. It's all leather that I dislike. It makes me sweat no matter how cool it is in the cabin, and I prefer the look and feel of quality fabric. Replacing it was my intent even before I bought the truck.

FlRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Bill that’s the craziest thing I’ve ever heard, but you do you.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Bill that’s the craziest thing I’ve ever heard, but you do you.
Hi FLR,

Not crazy, but it certainly points to the manufacturer of a product like Ford cannot design a vehicle for which everyone is pleased. Bill is of a difference preference. He has solved his wish in his own way...that does not make him crazy at all. It was very hard for me at Ford to accept that people were different than me in my preferences on aspects of the vehicle, but I learned the hard way that on somethings at the time, I was an outlier.

Back Story,

1975 F series redesign. Being a Racecar driver, I love a nice FAT steering wheel. The F Series had a new steering wheel, and while not fat was much thicker than the previous steering wheel. The top brass of the company, during one of the drive evaluations complained about this FAT steering wheel...They wanted it pencil thin like the 1960's. There was an edict to redesign the Steering Wheel. The chief engineer at the time, Henry P. stood his ground and told the top brass that the wheel would stand as designed and so it went into production...Compared to today's steering wheels this FAT steering wheel in 1975 was pencil thin.... Trends, tastes and designs change. Who here on the Ranger Forums remembers the appliances that mirror the Art Deco era? Refrigerators that were shaped like eggs...Colors like Olive Green or Gold... Yuk, but all the rage back then...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

FlRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Hi FLR,

Not crazy, but it certainly points to the manufacturer of a product like Ford cannot design a vehicle for which everyone is pleased. Bill is of a difference preference. He has solved his wish in his own way...that does not make him crazy at all. It was very hard for me at Ford to accept that people were different than me in my preferences on aspects of the vehicle, but I learned the hard way that on somethings at the time, I was an outlier.

Back Story,

1975 F series redesign. Being a Racecar driver, I love a nice FAT steering wheel. The F Series had a new steering wheel, and while not fat was much thicker than the previous steering wheel. The top brass of the company, during one of the drive evaluations complained about this FAT steering wheel...They wanted it pencil thin like the 1960's. There was an edict to redesign the Steering Wheel. The chief engineer at the time, Henry P. stood his ground and told the top brass that the wheel would stand as designed and so it went into production...Compared to today's steering wheels this FAT steering wheel in 1975 was pencil thin.... Trends, tastes and designs change. Who here on the Ranger Forums remembers the appliances that mirror the Art Deco era? Refrigerators that were shaped like eggs...Colors like Olive Green or Gold... Yuk, but all the rage back then...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I wasn’t literally call him crazy. It’s just the fact that Ford only offers leather on the lariat, it’s most expensive line (one of if we are talking f trucks). So it’s ironic he sprung for the lariat thatcharges extra for leather just to go back to cloth.
But understand everyone’s different hence the “you do you”. Just funny, seems like you could of just got the xlt and added the features you wanted via aftermarket.

Murphie

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X2, 2023 Hyundai Santa Fe
Occupation
Financial Auditor - Retired
I wasn’t literally call him crazy. It’s just the fact that Ford only offers leather on the lariat, it’s most expensive line (one of if we are talking f trucks). So it’s ironic he sprung for the lariat thatcharges extra for leather just to go back to cloth.
But understand everyone’s different hence the “you do you”. Just funny, seems like you could of just got the xlt and added the features you wanted via aftermarket.
I've mentioned this on other threads, but I think every premium trim, whether it be Lariat, Limited, Titanium, whatever the top of the line trim is, should have an upgraded cloth seat option.

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
I'm not really a fan of leather myself. Nor am I a fan of chrome. Thus I just stayed away from the Lariat. It would have been money wasted on me, not to mention they don't seem to be discounted much.

Rene Michaels

First Name
SOLD IT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Supercrew 4X2 5' Box Lariat
Hi FLR,

Back Story,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
You should write a book Phil! Your "back stories" are always a joy to read. Thanks for your wisdom and contributions to this forum!

Murphie

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X2, 2023 Hyundai Santa Fe
Occupation
Financial Auditor - Retired
Hi FLR,

Back Story,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I don't remember the egg shaped refrigerators, but we have had both the green and gold appliances. Had to be fashionable, you know!? o_O

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
I don't remember the egg shaped refrigerators, but we have had both the green and gold appliances. Had to be fashionable, you know!? o_O
My dad had an egg shaped Coldspot refrigerator that was built in the 50's. It was still working when we emptied out the garage to sell the house after he passed away 3 years ago.

caprtaineddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Corvette, 2020 Ranger Lariat
Don't forget the almond colored ones! My wife and I started with those.

BHunted

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2019 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
What was nice is when I had Heat and AC in my seats....:like:

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
in todays day and age of acceptance, all the manufacturers sure do love to segregate the masses with specific trim levels. we are not equal in this light. some are still sent to the back of the bus.

I think the trim levels should be offered as they are because they gotta make a package deal to suit some buyers, and this makes it an easy point to start.

but.....what I think they should do further is open that order book to make every option available across all trim levels. so guys like me who love to build our own to our preference can. Right now there are walls up to prevent that.
I have the highest level XLT I could muster together with the most options I could get.
Leather is my only dislike, so I was out as far as a Lariat is concerned, and its unfortunate some other creature comforts of the Lariat are outside my grasp on the order sheet. eg the lighting upgrade
The bottom line is I'm paying, my money is going into Fords profits, but i'm left holding some cash in my pocket because they wont custom build to the level I am looking for with these segregated levels, so in the end, Ford doesn't take as much cash from me.

Give me a lariat with a leather delete, or give me an XLT with an open order sheet, do something to take my money.
Some years ago you could order the vehicle exactly the way you wanted it. Wanted cruise control, and a/c but not power windows? Done. There even used to be engine and transmission choices!

SaberRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I can never own a vehicle again without leather, it is so easy to clean and holds up so much better than cloth!
Sponsored