Lariat LED DRLs not working as DRL, only on with other lights

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4X4 SuperCrew Magnetic Lariat Sport
I just picked up my ordered ‘20 Lariat and among other items I am working on, I changed a few settings with Forscan.
Everything was working great, including disabling the Auto Start/Stop. Then I realized that the LED headlight DRL strips were only turning on when I had the parking lights or headlights on (both in manual and auto).
I then returned all the settings back to original and the condition of the LED DRL lights did not change.
I did not check to see if they were working correctly before using Forscan.
I am hoping that someone here can “shed some light on my situation”.
Sponsored

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
I just picked up my ordered ‘20 Lariat and among other items I am working on, I changed a few settings with Forscan.
Everything was working great, including disabling the Auto Start/Stop. Then I realized that the LED headlight DRL strips were only turning on when I had the parking lights or headlights on (both in manual and auto).
I then returned all the settings back to original and the condition of the LED DRL lights did not change.
I did not check to see if they were working correctly before using Forscan.
I am hoping that someone here can “shed some light on my situation”.
Note that DRLs only work when the truck is in drive. Set the parking brake real good, put it in drive and then check the drls.

User79

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Also make sure they are enabled in ipc settings (inside the truck on the instrument panel) & headlights in auto mode.

OP
OP

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the comments, but I forgot to mention that both items were in place.
The DRL option is checked in the Lights selection, and I had the truck in Drive with E Brake on when I was checking the lights. I also checked in Auto Mode, and the DRLs only come on when it is dark enough for the lights to come on.

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 MB GLE350, 2006 Porsche Cayman S
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like Forscan issue.

User79

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
In forscan check these settings:
BCM
726-26-02
xxxx xxx0 xxxx (0 = LED headlights)

726-45-01
xxxx 7Fxx xxxx (7F = enable all choices)

726-50-01
108E for dedicated drl

OP
OP

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Justin,

I will look into these choices tomorrow afternoon.

OP
OP

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Regarding the following suggestions:

“In forscan check these settings:
BCM
726-26-02
xxxx xxx0 xxxx (0 = LED headlights)

726-45-01
xxxx 7Fxx xxxx (7F = enable all choices)

726-50-01
108E for dedicated drl”

The truck did not like either of the first two items, 726-26-02 and 726-45-01.
Regarding the 726-26-02 change, the spreadsheet note says that this is for “Halogen to OEM LED Conversion”.
I already have OEM LED Headlights.

Regarding the 726-50-01 proposed change, it was already at 108E.

I really do appreciate your trying to help!

Last edited:
OP
OP

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Regarding my issue with the LED DRLs on my new Ranger, I will be needing to take my truck with less than 600 miles on it for a recall soon. If I was to have the dealer check this out, can anyone tell me if Ford would be able to see that I had made Forscan changes and restored them?

User79

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I think that 726-26-02 would need to be a 0 even if you already have LED headlights.....that's what tells the BCM what headlights are installed but I'm no expert at this so I can't say for sure. Out of curiosity, what did yours have? When I changed mine from 1 to 0 it did give a warning but I forced the change without any issue.

After the dealer fixes it can you check to see what value it is afterwards & post it here? I'm curious......

I don't know if the dealer can see a history of changes made or not but I have taken mine in for 2 recalls & 1 service.....nothing was mentioned to me & they did not change them back. Some of the changes I made were pretty obvious too like the chimes when you open the door or start the truck.

OP
OP

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Justin, mine was definitely a 1. 0000 0001 0056
Can you tell me what difference it made after changing to a zero? The warning looked pretty ominous to me..
With less than 600 miles on my truck I just couldn’t do it.

User79

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Thanks Justin, mine was definitely a 1. 0000 0001 0056
Can you tell me what difference it made after changing to a zero? The warning looked pretty ominous to me..
With less than 600 miles on my truck I just couldn’t do it.
Yeah, I took a chance & I don't blame you for not wanting to.....one wrong change can really mess things up.

Another user was having an issue with the dedicated drl not working after changing to led headlights. Slowstang recommended changing that value to a 0 & it solved the issue for him but I didn't remember having to make that change. Shortly after that I noticed my driver side drl wasn't working so I connected to forscan & noticed a BCM error & somehow I had a 2 for that value so I changed it to a 0 and the drivers side was working again. The next day I re-connected forscan and didn't have anymore BCM errors. Both driver & passenger sides have been working fine since then but I have not checked lately to see if any more errors have popped up.

But that may not be the correct way of doing it.....you may have already seen slowstang's post from yesterday where he stated he was getting BCM errors & suggested another way of doing it which does use a 1......he claims no more BCM errors using these settings:
726-26-02 needs the * to be a 1 for factory LED xxxx xxx* xxxx

726-45-01 * changed to 1000 to enable DRL xxxx **** xxxx

726-50-01 change the only 4 numbers to 108E which chooses the dedicated DRL

I have not tried it but this may be the correct way. Sorry if I gave you bad advice as we are learning this trucks settings as we go. You can try slowstangs settings but it's definitely safer to let the dealer fix it. If you do let the dealer fix please post the settings so that we know for sure what they need to be.

All of this can be found on the last pages of the "xlt to lariat headlight" thread.
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/xlt-to-lariat-headlamp-upgrade.2750/post-124198

OP
OP

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WOW, again I thank you for a very informative posting.
I have not seen the “XLT to Lariat” thread. It did not come up in any of my searches.
For the 726-45-01 selection, the As Built listing for my truck shows the settings to be: 0A01 1000 008E.
As soon as I am able, I will confirm what my truck actually has.

User79

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
WOW, again I thank you for a very informative posting.
I have not seen the “XLT to Lariat” thread. It did not come up in any of my searches.
For the 726-45-01 selection, the As Built listing for my truck shows the settings to be: 0A01 1000 008E.
As soon as I am able, I will confirm what my truck actually has.
Wow indeed, that was a long post......I shouldn't post after a few dos equis, lol

It sounds like your settings may already be like slowstang's latest suggestion.....if so forscan may not be what's causing your issue.

OP
OP

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am starting to feel the same, that my issue is something other than what I changed in Forscan.
I will still confirm what values I have for 726-45-01.
I have an upcoming safety recall for checking the clip that secures the shifter cable at the transmission, so hopefully I can schedule a check on my DRLs at the same visit.
Sponsored