First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew Ranger in Shadow Black
Occupation
Tax CPA
So I just sold my car today and have been shopping for the truck for the last month. I want a lariat and was planning on buying this month but would wait till 1st week of January if the incentives would be better. Would hate to buy truck and a week later they incentives are $3k or more than they are now for the Lariat. I wonder if they incentives would ever be as big as the XLT are now. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Mike
Sponsored

AuburnRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lightning Blue Lariat FX4
People were hoping for the same thing when the new incentives came out earlier this month, but it didn't happen. At this point it's anyone's guess. If you compare Lariat to XLT inventory levels you can see why they are focusing on XLTs right now.

OP
OP
DRVN1

DRVN1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tax CPA
People were hoping for the same thing when the new incentives came out earlier this month, but it didn't happen. At this point it's anyone's guess. If you compare Lariat to XLT inventory levels you can see why they are focusing on XLTs right now.
I have been watching the inventory levels the last month drop. I was hoping with 2020 now hitting the showrooms that they would start getting aggressive on the lariats also.

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I believe monthly incentives come out on the 3rd of the month.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So I just sold my car today and have been shopping for the truck for the last month. I want a lariat and was planning on buying this month but would wait till 1st week of January if the incentives would be better. Would hate to buy truck and a week later they incentives are $3k or more than they are now for the Lariat. I wonder if they incentives would ever be as big as the XLT are now. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Mike
All of us early adopters paid far more than you're going to pay today even for a Lariat. Got to love the early adopters. Next time around I'll wait for the juicy incentives. The lariat is a whole lot more expensive than the XLT. Most people don't want to pay $40,000 for a pickup truck. Some of us would rather pay and have it now than later hence we belong to the early adopters Club which has an entrance fee. I haven't seen any really great incentives on the lariat. Maybe four grand a couple months ago. Good luck with your purchase. You're going to love this truck

Seems to me the week between Christmas and New Year's is the best time to buy a vehicle.

MikeD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Pinto
Thanks,
Mike
I am in a very similar boat, in fact I posted a thread very similar to this one back in November https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/2019-lariat-incentives.5251/. I was surprised that Ford didn't extend additional cashback to the Lariat similar to what they were offering for the XLTs. I'm hoping for some end of year incentives or incentives early in January.

I've been monitoring inventories and pricing since around July this summer for Seattle area dealers. Incentives for the Lariat peaked in September at about $2250 + financing incentive and are back down at around $1500 now. Dealer discounts have been steadily increasing since this summer. I've observed that XLT inventories have gone down a bit, and Lariats outnumber lower level trims at a few dealers.

Here's my read on the situation. If Ford is trying to clear out inventory, you want to clear your less expensive models (XLT) before you start aggressively discounting your high end models (Lariat) for a few reasons:
1) Discounting your XLTs preserves perceived value of Lariat trim
2) If a buyer is on the lot and considering both XLT and Lariat and the Lariat discounts make it cheaper than the XLT, of course you'll take the Lariat
3) If a buyer is on the lot and prefers the Lariat, but they see a wider than usual delta between XLT and Lariat pricing in favor of the XLT, the buyer may go for the XLT for value, saving higher priced Lariats for sale when they might be the only option for a buyer come January and February

Another factor to take into account is that I suspect a well optioned XLT trim truck is higher margin for Ford than Lariat giving them more leeway to discount. Here's an example:

XLT: 302A, FX4, Sport, Tow, and Tech Package in Lightning Blue = $40,120 SRP
Lariat: 501A (includes Tech package), FX4, Sport, Tow in Lightning Blue = $43,385

For the additional $3265 (incremental 8.1% on XLT) you get: body color door handles, mirrors, LED headlights, tail lights, fogs, heated mirrors with turn signals and puddle lights, windshield wiper de-icer, keyless start, rain sensing wipers, dual screens in gauge cluster, homelink transmitter, illuminated visor mirrors, B&O sound, and leather seats. For anyone who has ever optioned out a luxury car, you might get charged $2k alone for leather!

You can read that as the Lariat being a good value compared to the XLT, or that the XLT is priced a bit high for feature/contents value. To summarize, my analysis is that Ford extended the XLT discounts and held off on discounting the Lariat until XLT inventories are further reduced.

I've probably over-analyzed this decision but that's my nature and I want a deal!

Last edited:
OP
OP
DRVN1

DRVN1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tax CPA
All of us early adopters paid far more than you're going to pay today even for a Lariat. Got to love the early adopters. Next time around I'll wait for the juicy incentives. The lariat is a whole lot more expensive than the XLT. Most people don't want to pay $40,000 for a pickup truck. Some of us would rather pay and have it now than later hence we belong to the early adopters Club which has an entrance fee. I haven't seen any really great incentives on the lariat. Maybe four grand a couple months ago. Good luck with your purchase. You're going to love this truck

Seems to me the week between Christmas and New Year's is the best time to buy a vehicle.
Right now best quote I have gotten is is $6,855 off on a Lariat and don't think I will get better than that this month. Just sold my car yesterday so will need to buy sooner than later. But I agree that that last week of the year might be the best time to buy so I will probably wait till then.

OP
OP
DRVN1

DRVN1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tax CPA
I am in a very similar boat, in fact I posted a thread very similar to this one back in November https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/2019-lariat-incentives.5251/. I was surprised that Ford didn't extend additional cashback to the Lariat similar to what they were offering for the XLTs. I'm hoping for some end of year incentives or incentives early in January.

I've been monitoring inventories and pricing since around July this summer for Seattle area dealers. Incentives for the Lariat peaked in September at about $2250 + financing incentive and are back down at around $1500 now. Dealer discounts have been steadily increasing since this summer. I've observed that XLT inventories have gone down a bit, and Lariats outnumber lower level trims at a few dealers.

Here's my read on the situation. If Ford is trying to clear out inventory, you want to clear your less expensive models (XLT) before you start aggressively discounting your high end models (Lariat) for a few reasons:
2) If a buyer is on the lot and considering both XLT and Lariat and the Lariat discounts make it cheaper than the XLT, of course you'll take the Lariat
3) If a buyer is on the lot and prefers the Lariat, but they see a wider than usual delta between XLT and Lariat pricing in favor of the XLT, the buyer may go for the XLT for value, saving higher priced Lariats for sale when they might be the only option for a buyer come January and February

Another factor to take into account is that I suspect a well optioned XLT trim truck is higher margin for Ford than Lariat giving them more leeway to discount. Here's an example:

Lariat: 501A (includes Tech package), FX4, Sport, Tow in Lightning Blue = $43,385

For the additional $3265 (incremental 8.1% on XLT) you get: body color door handles, mirrors, LED headlights, tail lights, fogs, heated mirrors with turn signals and puddle lights, windshield wiper de-icer, keyless start, rain sensing wipers, dual screens in gauge cluster, homelink transmitter, illuminated visor mirrors, B&O sound, and leather seats. For anyone who has ever optioned out a luxury car, you might get charged $2k alone for leather!

You can read that as the Lariat being a good value compared to the XLT, or that the XLT is priced a bit high for feature/contents value. To summarize, my analysis is that Ford extended the XLT discounts and held off on discounting the Lariat until XLT inventories are further reduced.

I've probably over-analyzed this decision but that's my nature and I want a deal!

Over analyzed? That was a great analysis of the packages. Being a CPA I tend to over-analyze my purchases also. You should see my spreadsheets when I am car shopping. Like you I want a deal also. This would the 3rd vehicle I have bought since summer. Sold a car yesterday that I bought new 6 months ago for more than I paid for it! Had to get rid of it to make room for the Ranger. Was tempted on the XLT deals but there were too many items that the Lariat had that was not willing to give up. Looking forward to being back in a truck for the first time in 14 years, should happen within 2 week.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department

By all means sir, you have not over-analyzed at all, what you've presented is logical and displays your quest for the absolute best price on a Ranger.
Here's my view on the incentives/rebates that Ford has to offer.
If they are available at the time I take delivery of my on order 2020 Lariat SuperCab next month that's fine and well, if not then I say "oh well", it's not a deal-breaker for me. The transaction will be via Ford's X-Plan pricing agreement.
I've patiently waited 2 1/2 years since Ford announced that they were reviving the Ranger for US consumption and vowed that I would own one.
My last new Ford purchase was 20 years ago on a '00 XLT SuperCab which I still own, it's been an ultra-reliable vehicle as all my Ford's have been.
About the only thing that would have changed my mind is that if Ford would have partnered with Yugo, GM or FCA in designing and engineering this vehicle. It does not matter to me that the Rangers present platform is 8 years old, I am a dyed in the wool Ford man (when it comes to trucks).
Incentives/rebates notwithstanding, I will own a 5th gen Ranger.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Right now best quote I have gotten is is $6,855 off on a Lariat and don't think I will get better than that this month. Just sold my car yesterday so will need to buy sooner than later. But I agree that that last week of the year might be the best time to buy so I will probably wait till then.
Wow I don't think you're going to do much better than that. That's a huge discount. especially if that covers doc fees as well. Good luck people should be paying far less than I paid for the lariat. I'm not sorry I got to drive a great truck for a few months before crowds came out. Man I think you should jump on that 6 grand off of Larry is pretty hefty that means you getting the tech wheel kit and sports kits for nothing

Last edited:

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
For future new Ford product purchases, you may want to look into Ford's X-Plan pricing.
I actually found out about this program from this forum, but in my instance, had to wait 3 months after joining an affiliated (Mustang Club of America) to actually reap its benefits. The program sets a fixed price at a certain percentage above the invoice price and offers great transparency on the entire transaction.
This was inconsequential for me, however, I joined MCA in early August, special ordered my 2020 on August 20th and hopefully will take delivery of it in either the second or third week of January, a time period well beyond the 90-day wait requirement.

Correction: the waiting period is 60 and not 90 days as I stated

Last edited:

MikeD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Pinto
Wow I don't think you're going to do much better than that. That's a huge discount. especially if that covers doc fees as well. Good luck people should be paying far less than I paid for the lariat. I'm not sorry I got to drive a great truck for a few months before crowds came out. Man I think you should jump on that 6 grand off of Larry is pretty hefty that means you getting the tech wheel kit and sports kits for nothing
You'd be surprised what kind of deals are possible in larger markets. I've seen Lariats with $6000 in dealer discount, $2000 in incentives, and $1000 in trade assistance this summer. With the current XLT incentives going on right now, I see many dealers offering $5000 in dealer discounts + $6100 in Ford incentives for a total over $11000 in discounts. My goal is a combined discount of at least $10,000. Because these are 2019 models, they've theoretically already taken some depreciation, especially if you only hold onto your vehicles for less than five years. I'm at over 10 years on my current car so not so concerned about that depreciation hit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DRVN1

DRVN1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tax CPA
I will be jumping on the deal this week. Just working another dealership that has one with another package I wanted. But if they don't deal then I am jumping on the other one.

OP
OP
DRVN1

DRVN1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tax CPA
For future new Ford product purchases, you may want to look into Ford's X-Plan pricing.
I actually found out about this program from this forum, but in my instance, had to wait 3 months after joining an affiliated (Mustang Club of America) to actually reap its benefits. The program sets a fixed price at a certain percentage above the invoice price and offers great transparency on the entire transaction.
This was inconsequential for me, however, I joined MCA in early August, special ordered my 2020 on August 20th and hopefully will take delivery of it in either the second or third week of January, a time period well beyond the 90-day wait requirement.

Correction: the waiting period is 60 and not 90 days as I stated
\
I looked into and it and the current discount is better than the X-plan pricing.

Tim L.

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 Sabre; 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLE 350 4Matic
Fox Ford in Chicago just discounted their Lariats by about $10k. Bittersweet since a month ago they practically laughed me out and didn't even want to negotiate when I asked for $7k off on a Dec 2018 build. I ended up going to another dealership and settled on $6k off on a June 2019 build.
Sponsored