Kirkland brand oil?

WoodrowX

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
In the past, I've used Shell Rotella oil for my oil changes, but the price has nearly doubled in the past year. I'm tempted to use the Kirkland or Walmart brand synthetic oil.

Would either of these be a mistake? I'm not sure if they are "certified" for use in our trucks.
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
In the past, I've used Shell Rotella oil for my oil changes, but the price has nearly doubled in the past year. I'm tempted to use the Kirkland or Walmart brand synthetic oil.

Would either of these be a mistake? I'm not sure if they are "certified" for use in our trucks.
Hi Robert,

I am on my second oil change using Kirkland....I read that it meets and exceeds the Ford specs.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
Both brands meet the current SAE standards.

Have to admit, I've used Walmart's synthetic for years, retired my old Ranger with just under 300k miles.

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
First change on it. No issues. I believe Project Farm tested it with good results. I"ll be switching all my vehicles to it. Especially for the price.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Robert,

I am on my second oil change using Kirkland....I read that it meets and exceeds the Ford specs.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
When Phil approved it a while back ( :LOL: ), I bought 2 cases of it on sale - I've done one oil change with it thus far. No issues here....

thewhiteranger

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger fx2 and a 2019 Subaru Outback
Occupation
medical
Hi Robert,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I love Costco stuff...... but for oil in general, I don't recall the letter rating of oil that ford asks for in the manual but oil has a letter rating on it and as long as you use that or higher -- "use grade ??" what ever it is but if the letters on the bottle "meet or exceeds ?? rating" --- then it is good to use. right????? I am personally just sticking with the ford filters and their synthetic blend, its reasonably priced, easy to find and I change it about every 6k miles or twice a year so pretty much anything should be good--- does anyone notice any benefit for full synthetic? better mpg etc?

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT

Kirkland synthetic oil is produced by Warren distribution. They also produce oil for hundreds of other brands. As long as the Kirkland oil is marked API SN + Resource Conserving / Dexos 1 Gen 2 compliant than it will be just fine for use in and GDI engine.

https://engineoil.api.org/Directory/EolcsResultsDetail?accountId=-1&companyId=10297

https://www.gmdexos.com/brands/dexos1/index.html

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
I love Costco stuff...... but for oil in general, I don't recall the letter rating of oil that ford asks for in the manual but oil has a letter rating on it and as long as you use that or higher -- "use grade ??" what ever it is but if the letters on the bottle "meet or exceeds ?? rating" --- then it is good to use. right????? I am personally just sticking with the ford filters and their synthetic blend, its reasonably priced, easy to find and I change it about every 6k miles or twice a year so pretty much anything should be good--- does anyone notice any benefit for full synthetic? better mpg etc?
Only reason I run full synthetic is because I run a tune and run the truck hard. Anything that has a chance to help the internals last longer, especially at a marginal cost, I'll do it.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Used oil analysis is the only way to know for sure. KIrkland is probably perfectly fine.
www.blackstone-labs.com
Sponsored