RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks the part # is13404 I have the schematic from the parts book. The lens isn’t listed as a part, hence the problem. I’ll probably just breakout the rest of the overlay and cover the assembly in red taillight repair tape until one shows upon the internet. Can’t bring myself to pay 500 and make a claim right now. Still mourning my loss
Those are from wrecked Rangers - you'll need to call them to find out costs, but it looks like it will be SUBSTANTIALLY cheaper than a new unit, and since these vehicles are so new, they should be just as good.
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry, I was a little rude. Thanks for the welcome, everyone has been great about letting me vent!
Hi Boyd,

Sorry this happened...Regardless of vandalism or parking lot accident, the person that did this is total jerk... Let me clarify something though. The assembly plant is not a parts depot, as the plant needs to keep the line running... There are no parts just laying around. We in engineering could order parts from the plant only if there were no parts at the parts warehouse. If a part is in short supply from the vendor, the plant may choose to build and park units on Ford property until the parts show up and the repair area processes them. Other times the line is shut down. Ballpark cost of a line going down is $1 million an hour...The taillight is an assembly that is PIA...Purchased in Assembly, meaning that Ford only sees the assembly, not the parts that make it up...only the supplier sees these parts before assembly and shipping to the Ford Plant or to the Parts warehouse. On many "crash parts" the supplier to Ford may send component parts to retail auto parts stores, but likely nothing like this yet for Ranger as it is too new.

Ford Parts warehouses simply cannot stock component parts for vehicles. Too much complexity.

As for the deductible on your insurance, it is a trade off on cost of insurance vs how much you can afford to pay if an event like this happens. It may be worth considering a higher premium and a lower deductible...or find a company that waives deductibles if it is not your fault if your state allows it...

Sad day for you but it could be worse...How about a person that purchases the new vehicle and gets T-boned coming out of the dealership driveway....That has happened several times that I can recall from my days at Ford.... Good luck!

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Last edited:

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
Wondering if dash cams will activate if they sense motion even if the vehicle is off? Thinking that maybe if you had one that did that, it might catch a video of the culprit?
my dash cam is supposed to record/save if theres an impact...but the power has to be on...
I sell and also use the Momento cameras. They will record constantly when the vehicle is on, automatically looping and overwriting old footage on the memory card. When parked, it will record when it sees motion and if there is an impact. All of these features are adjustable too. They have front and rear hi-definition cameras, and you can easily save and share footage from the Moment app to your smart phone. Check them out. They are cheap insurance for catching crap like this happen to your vehicle.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Part it out, hope you have Gap coverage :)

Obviously I'm kidding (maybe?). Same thing happened to my Focus ST. The headlights were 350 each for the halogens, the HID's were over 1600$. I broke a tail light, and each was 350 as well (no BLIS, no radar, no LED's, just bulbs) I think a lot of the cost has to do with people buying an XLT or XL and then upgrading for cheap prices to the Lariat headlights/tail lights.

It's unfortunate, but I don't really expect Ford to be able to account for parts used to upgrade their lower trims to higher trims.

I think everyone is dead on, someone broke it in a parking lot or whatever, just call insurance, they may waive the deductible if you weren't in the vehicle when it happened.

If you were, then it's a 500$ lesson to watch your surroundings. (Mine lesson cost way more than 500$)

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 MB GLE350, 2006 Porsche Cayman S
Vehicle Showcase
D48BAE9F-EA6C-42F0-B8BB-6920908E1C42.jpeg
4EB61CB8-3F08-476A-9B5A-827B75E74F34.jpeg
Before I even bought my first tank of gas someone broke a taillight. At first I was really bummed out but my spirits were lifted when I realized that only the red plastic overlay was broken. They were faded when I was told that isn’t a part. It’s a complete assembly and it can be mine for $1155 plus tax. Begged the dealership. Took it to The Ford complaint department and got stonewalled. Not a part nothing we can do. Guess it’s to hard to take a piece of plastic off the assembly floor and UPS it. I know it would be the same at Toyota GM Dodge etc but really...You’re thoughts? PS I love this truck! Ranger Boyd
What? You expect Ford to remove a part for installation on a new truck and send it to you?

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
What? You expect Ford to remove a part for installation on a new truck and send it to you?
Keep in mind the average person doesn't know how the supply chain works. A lot of them are under the impression that there are just big boxes and crates full of parts, and people just put them on the line as the chassis goes by.

In reality every part in the factory has a corresponding chassis where it's going to live forever. If someone lifts a tail light for a customer, then there's a truck on the line somewhere that will be sadly missing one until parts can source another one.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Keep in mind the average person doesn't know how the supply chain works. A lot of them are under the impression that there are just big boxes and crates full of parts, and people just put them on the line as the chassis goes by.

In reality every part in the factory has a corresponding chassis where it's going to live forever. If someone lifts a tail light for a customer, then there's a truck on the line somewhere that will be sadly missing one until parts can source another one.
And then there's that picture of the truck with one chrome vent surround. :D

OP
OP
Ranger Boyd

Ranger Boyd

First Name
Boyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger

Of course not. Can’t have customers calling the factory for every knob dial or switch. Clearly there is a supply chain. This situation is so sad and unlikely that I thought someone might ask where the lights are assembled and make a request. I’m guessing that if the dealer broke it in the lot someone would know who to call. Unusual circumstance unusual request. Not unreasonable. Not a referendum on Ford, just hoped someone was willing to make an effort. Love the truck hate laziness at any level. Time to call my agent.

svache

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew Saber, 2012 BMW 328i
Vehicle Showcase
my dash cam is supposed to record/save if theres an impact...but the power has to be on...
I run a Cellink Neo battery pack between my dual cams and fuse boxes in both my vehicles. They're running on a fuse that's only on when the ignition is on, making it only recharge the battery when the power is on. It can easily record 24 hours without ever draining my battery, likely more than two days if using only one cam. I got them here: https://www.blackboxmycar.com/collections/battery-packs/products/cellink-battery-neo

HighFivenWhiteGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Engineer
This is brutal and unfortunately happened to me as well. Came back to the truck after a bike ride and found the tail light shattered. I thought hey no big deal and looked up the part on the Ford site. Now I need a new laptop as well because I chucked the last one out the window when I saw the price! Same tail light too, driver's side.

I saw on the Ford site that there is a core charge but it seems to only be $80. When I eventually replace the tail light assembly I will probably just keep the old one and sell it when someone else needs parts out of it. I can imagine the radar bits are expensive.

Anyways good luck and I will be following this thread! If I come across anything useful in my search for a reasonably priced part I will post it here.

OP
OP
Ranger Boyd

Ranger Boyd

First Name
Boyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Hi Boyd,

Sorry this happened...Regardless of vandalism or parking lot accident, the person that did this is total jerk... Let me clarify something though. The assembly plant is not a parts depot, as the plant needs to keep the line running... There are no parts just laying around. We in engineering could order parts from the plant only if there were no parts at the parts warehouse. If a part is in short supply from the vendor, the plant may choose to build and park units on Ford property until the parts show up and the repair area processes them. Other times the line is shut down. Ballpark cost of a line going down is $1 million an hour...The taillight is an assembly that is PIA...Purchased in Assembly, meaning that Ford only sees the assembly, not the parts that make it up...only the supplier sees these parts before assembly and shipping to the Ford Plant or to the Parts warehouse. On many "crash parts" the supplier to Ford may send component parts to retail auto parts stores, but likely nothing like this yet for Ranger as it is too new.

Ford Parts warehouses simply cannot stock component parts for vehicles. Too much complexity.

As for the deductible on your insurance, it is a trade off on cost of insurance vs how much you can afford to pay if an event like this happens. It may be worth considering a higher premium and a lower deductible...or find a company that waives deductibles if it is not your fault if your state allows it...

Sad day for you but it could be worse...How about a person that purchases the new vehicle and gets T-boned coming out of the dealership driveway....That has happened several times that I can recall from my days at Ford.... Good luck!

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
Ranger Boyd

Ranger Boyd

First Name
Boyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Phil, I want to thank you for your thoughtful and informative post. Just to clarify, I certainly wasn’t suggesting any interruption to the assembly line. That would be madness! I don’t know if Ford makes the taillights or subs out the manufacture of the part elsewhere. I was suggesting that at that factory there should be thousands of overlays that would be glued on after assembly of the taillight is completed and sealed. Obviously I don’t know what state or country and whether it’s hand done or finished robotically. I seem to have some people more upset than I am. I can pay the 500 deductible and be done with it. As I’ve said to others, it seems like a false claim because it works. Thought a phone call to the taillight manufacturer wasn’t asking to much. I have a feeling that if this request had shown up on your desk that a call or two would have been made. Thanks again, Boyd

OP
OP
Ranger Boyd

Ranger Boyd

First Name
Boyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Phil, I want to thank you for your thoughtful and informative post. Just to clarify, I certainly wasn’t suggesting any interruption to the assembly line. That would be madness! I don’t know if Ford makes the taillights or subs out the manufacture of the part elsewhere. I was suggesting that at that factory there should be thousands of overlays that would be glued on after assembly of the taillight is completed and sealed. Obviously I don’t know what state or country and whether it’s hand done or finished robotically. I seem to have some people more upset than I am. I can pay the 500 deductible and be done with it. As I’ve said to others, it seems like a false claim because it works. Thought a phone call to the taillight manufacturer wasn’t asking to much. I have a feeling that if this request had shown up on your desk that a call or two would have been made. Thanks again, Boyd
P S Love the truck!
Sponsored