First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Scientist
This will not be an extreme build thread, but more documenting some mods that will make this more overland worthy, and a little better looking. The end goal is to have a nice truck with a RTT that I can take out for a few days to fish, camp, mountain bike, or just explore. Here she is the first day I got her:

truck.jpg

Her name is Jolene after the Dolly Parton song. Basically my 2014 Nissan Xterra Pro4x was singing this for a few weeks before I traded her in:

Jolene, Jolene, Jolene, Jolene
I'm begging of you please don't take my man
Jolene, Jolene, Jolene, Jolene
Please don't take him just because you can
Sponsored

OP
OP
dr7ski

dr7ski

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Scientist
Engine cover

Before:

engine cover before.jpg

After:

engine cover after.jpg

Part - https://www.ebay.com/itm/313435943213

The link will probably not work soon but it was essentially:

NEW 2019-2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Engine Cover Installation Kit, OEM

When you get the kit rather than just the cover you get the two threaded studs necessary to mount the cover to.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
OP
OP
dr7ski

dr7ski

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Scientist

OP
OP
dr7ski

dr7ski

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Scientist
Today's project was replacing the front and rear emblems. The rear was easy, the front was a PITA due to the plastic shroud that I need to remove to access the back of the emblem.

The front before:

front before.jpg

The front during:

front during.jpg

To get the emblem off easily you need to access the back and remove the nuts screwed onto the plastic threads. I followed the video here for instructions:

You only have to go as far as minute 3:00 where he removes the shroud before removing the grill. He makes it look so easy to remove the shroud but it was a major pain the in ass.

Here are the nuts on the back of the emblem that I reused. I was able to just remove them by hand with the 10 mm socket and tighten them back up by hand. Didn't want to strip anything.

emblem nuts.jpg

This is the shroud half way out:

stupid shroud.jpg

With the shroud removed you have easy access:

shroud removed.jpg

Comparison of new vs old:

after 1.jpg

Final:

after final.jpg

I purchased the emblems here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293325610677

It was the complete set, front and back, with the camera housing. It was not cheap, but I like the way it turned out. Back emblem in next post.

OP
OP
dr7ski

dr7ski

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Scientist
Now for the back emblem, this was super easy.

Before:

back 1.jpg

Popping off the back emblem from the housing was easy. There is a little gap on the bottom where you can stick in a small flat head screwdriver and open it a little. Then I inserted some plastic trim tools to gently pry it off. This gives you access to two bolts which hold the camera housing in place. Remove those, disconnect the camera, and it is off.

Here are the new and old camera housings side by side. You just need to move the camera from one to the other. Very easy.

back two.jpg

Finished.

back final.jpg

During this process I didn't break anything which I think is a near miracle. It really helps to have some tools made for the job. I purchased the kit below and used several of the tools to pop fasters, etc, without damaging anything.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CQKMK8F/

OP
OP
dr7ski

dr7ski

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Scientist
Now I need to wait for some more parts to arrive. I have ordered an Xtrusion Overland bed rack for my FSR High County 63 premium RTT, and I have ordered Shrockworks sliders. I also have a tonneau cover but I need to install the bed rack first. Hopefully the bed rack will arrive in another two weeks and I can post how that install goes.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Look what the freight delivery dropped off today! Guess I will be busy this weekend.

sliders.jpg
Schweet! Looking forward to seeing how far out the step sticks out at the rear...

Heads Up.... Check the bag of fasteners to make sure they sent you the right one's.... (make sure the stick nuts match the bolt sizes).

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Now I need to wait for some more parts to arrive. I have ordered an Xtrusion Overland bed rack for my FSR High County 63 premium RTT, and I have ordered Shrockworks sliders. I also have a tonneau cover but I need to install the bed rack first. Hopefully the bed rack will arrive in another two weeks and I can post how that install goes.
What was the lead time on the sliders? My (short) wife has been complaining about getting in and out of the truck, so this is my excuse to order them...

OP
OP
dr7ski

dr7ski

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Scientist
What was the lead time on the sliders? My (short) wife has been complaining about getting in and out of the truck, so this is my excuse to order them...
I ordered them May 11th. Arrived today. Much faster than I was anticipating.

McDeuce

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Engine cover

Before:

engine cover before.jpg

After:

engine cover after.jpg

Part - https://www.ebay.com/itm/313435943213

The link will probably not work soon but it was essentially:

NEW 2019-2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Engine Cover Installation Kit, OEM

When you get the kit rather than just the cover you get the two threaded studs necessary to mount the cover to.
Love it ! I just got mine from Benny @Levittown Ford for under $70 shipped. Benny gave me a discount code.

https://www.levittownfordparts.com/sku/rgrengcvrkit.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
dr7ski

dr7ski

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Scientist
Look what the freight delivery dropped off today! Guess I will be busy this weekend.

sliders.jpg
Regrettably, these are not the correct sliders. When I went to install them this weekend they were obviously not meant for the Ranger and the wrong item was shipped. Thankfully customer service at Shrockworks was great and they should have the correct item out to me in a couple weeks and pick these up at the same time. I should have known on Wednesday when I opened this box because the rear of the slider is flared out, and the ranger sliders do not have this.
Sponsored