First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Well today I picked up my Factory Five Speedstar kit that I ordered back in January. The fun now begins as I build this beast. Besides the body and frame sitting on the trailer there were 44 boxes of parts that filled the bed and back seat on my Ranger and the back seat and bed on my buddies Frontier.

I have not been sitting since January. I have been putting the finishing touches on the 5.7 Hemi power plant, rebuilding the Fox Body Mustang 8.8 rear end and the Tremec T5 tranny. The only expenditure left are tires and wheels.

IMG_20220804_131428523.jpg

IMG_20220715_154006848.jpg

IMG_20220502_111912515.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
Well today I picked up my Factory Five Speedstar kit that I ordered back in January. The fun now begins as I build this beast. I have not been sitting still waiting on the kit. Besides the body and frame sitting on the trailer there were 44 boxes of parts that filled the bed and back seat on my Ranger and the back seat and bed on my buddies Frontier.

I have not been sitting since January. I putting the finishing touches on the 5.7 Hemi power plant, rebuilding the Fox Body Mustang 8.8 rear end and the Tremor T5 tranny. The only expenditure left are tires and wheels.

IMG_20220804_131428523.jpg

IMG_20220715_154006848.jpg

IMG_20220502_111912515.jpg
Hell yeah. My boy and I want to build one of their cobras. A buddy has one and it is nice.

OP
OP
Dgc333

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I've drooled over this one...

hr-truck-overview-1836x1100.jpg

and this one...

CAM10101B.jpg
I had gone down to FFR and sat in all the different vehicles they offer before ordering my kit.
The 35 Pickup has no leg room, I felt like my knees were in my arm pits. I did mention that to them and they said they were redesigning it to stretch the body 4" because of all the leg room complaints they get.
The 818 looks to much like something you might buy from Toyota plus the Subaru powertrain didn't excite me.
The chassis of the Speedstar is the same as the 33 Hot Rod with a different body. While a roadster would have been cool they are just to common at all the cruise nights I attend.

OP
OP
Dgc333

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Their Daytona kit is on my to do when I retire list. 7 more years.
That was my first choice too but at my age it was just to difficult to get in and out of. I plan to drive the wheels off what ever I built and I couldn't picture myself crawling in and out of the Daytona Coupe. The Speedstar has suicide doors and the frame dips down at the front of the door opening allowing you to just sit down and swing your legs in. Also, true to the original 65 Cobra Coupe the side windows are fixed with a little sliding panel so you can pay tolls. My Speedstar kit has power windows.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I had gone down to FFR and sat in all the different vehicles they offer before ordering my kit.
The 35 Pickup has no leg room, I felt like my knees were in my arm pits. I did mention that to them and they said they were redesigning it to stretch the body 4" because of all the leg room complaints they get.
The 818 looks to much like something you might buy from Toyota plus the Subaru powertrain didn't excite me.
The chassis of the Speedstar is the same as the 33 Hot Rod with a different body. While a roadster would have been cool they are just to common at all the cruise nights I attend.
That's good to know on the pickup. I saw they had the "big & tall" version on their website.

I've got an obsession with oddball engineering. As such, Subies and Porsches have always intrigued me. Beig the more affordable of the two, I've got quite a bit of experience with Subies. Getting into the 500s reliably can be done, but 400 would be more than enough in a mid engined lightweight car like that.

Obviously those two are two ends of the spectrum, one a track toy, one a cruiser.

It seems like you really did your research and planned well before you bought. I think that's key in seeing these projects be completed. Make sure you update us on the progress!

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
That was my first choice too but at my age it was just to difficult to get in and out of. I plan to drive the wheels off what ever I built and I couldn't picture myself crawling in and out of the Daytona Coupe. The Speedstar has suicide doors and the frame dips down at the front of the door opening allowing you to just sit down and swing your legs in. Also, true to the original 65 Cobra Coupe the side windows are fixed with a little sliding panel so you can pay tolls. My Speedstar kit has power windows.
Those are both very valid points and it's very probable that another 7 years on these joints will change my mind lol. I also don't think the coupe is very road trip friendly.

Reactions: Doc

N559br

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Retired
Good luck with the build. I built one of the cobra kits (FFR3641) with my son as his senior project. We had a blast going to cobra meets across the mid Atlantic and Midwest. He learned how to rivet and I learned patience.

OP
OP
Dgc333

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Good luck with the build. I built one of the cobra kits (FFR3641) with my son as his senior project. We had a blast going to cobra meets across the mid Atlantic and Midwest. He learned how to rivet and I learned patience.
Thanks! ?

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
Dgc333

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Well I am making some progress on the build. I have most of the copit sheet metal installed, about 500 rivets so far. And, I ordered my wheels over the weekend with a Labor Day discount. American Racing Vintage Boss 20x10 for the back and 18x9.5 for the front
IMG_20220902_132723516.jpg

Screenshot_20220905-112130_1.png