Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Apologies if this is a dupe....
I thought I posted it this weekend but I came back to see if there were any responses and couldn't find the post. If it was taken down for a violation, do let me know. Happy to comply with the rules. But I'm more suspecting I didn't post it right or something on my end. Who knows.

Cross Posted from ArizonaGunOwners.com for different community / view points here. I like diversity of ideas.

===========================================================================
Once again I find myself re-examining my gas storage situation. Over time my chief complaint has been the ever changing shape and size of the common Jerry Can. I'd like to standardize on a shape / size / dimension. Currently I have standardized on the NATO 20L/5G can and I have one. Just one. But I'd like two or three more.

The problem is that
1. They don't really breathe so they burp gas - probably something that will be common with all.
2. They have gotten pretty expensive, even the cheapo knockoffs.
3. They don't always have the same mouth / spout on them and the online pics make it hard to tell on some of the ads.

But I see people that go out in the desert and run motorcycles, quads, and SxS's using these "Racing Gas Cans" that look like some form of white / translucent material with a hose on them for easy dispensing. I wonder if I'm not clinging too hard to an out of date technology in my gas can selection. What are these cans people are running and are they better? Are they standardized?

My primary use is carrying a reserve when I off-road or go into the back-country maybe for a day or maybe for a week of camping and off-roading. Secondarily is disaster preps. I have managed to make enough trips to to a Maverick Station that carries Ethanol Free Gas that I can fill up with the E-0 and I use a stabilizer on a semi annual rotation schedule.

What are you using for gasoline storage?
Does it work well?
What would you change?
Recommendations?
Sponsored

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
Scribner Plastics makes jugs, I use them myself. Typically every manufacturer I've seen uses the same threads on the lids and the nozzles don't come with them. I keep one lid with a nozzle and the rest without, makes storage a tad easier.

I've noticed the newer ones come with a label saying 'not for fuel use' but if you pull off the label the old description about using them for fuel is on there. Since they have a vent they're not approved anymore, personally I think that's stupid and use them anyway.

I also have a siphon that I use with them when I'm filling the jet ski. Easier than lugging a 5 gallon jug into the lake.

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX, 2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Occupation
Appraiser
A lot of guys are running the rotopax stuff for off road I think, but it's not cheap.

The racing cans you mention are good if we're talking the same lingo. I imagine you mean the vp jugs? You can get them in almost any color.
3812-vp-racing-gas-can-square-pink_1024x1024.jpg

Hank the Tank

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Housing Case Manager, Full-time student
Vehicle Showcase
Apologies if this is a dupe....
I thought I posted it this weekend but I came back to see if there were any responses and couldn't find the post. If it was taken down for a violation, do let me know. Happy to comply with the rules. But I'm more suspecting I didn't post it right or something on my end. Who knows.

Cross Posted from ArizonaGunOwners.com for different community / view points here. I like diversity of ideas.

===========================================================================
Once again I find myself re-examining my gas storage situation. Over time my chief complaint has been the ever changing shape and size of the common Jerry Can. I'd like to standardize on a shape / size / dimension. Currently I have standardized on the NATO 20L/5G can and I have one. Just one. But I'd like two or three more.

The problem is that
1. They don't really breathe so they burp gas - probably something that will be common with all.
2. They have gotten pretty expensive, even the cheapo knockoffs.
3. They don't always have the same mouth / spout on them and the online pics make it hard to tell on some of the ads.

But I see people that go out in the desert and run motorcycles, quads, and SxS's using these "Racing Gas Cans" that look like some form of white / translucent material with a hose on them for easy dispensing. I wonder if I'm not clinging too hard to an out of date technology in my gas can selection. What are these cans people are running and are they better? Are they standardized?

My primary use is carrying a reserve when I off-road or go into the back-country maybe for a day or maybe for a week of camping and off-roading. Secondarily is disaster preps. I have managed to make enough trips to to a Maverick Station that carries Ethanol Free Gas that I can fill up with the E-0 and I use a stabilizer on a semi annual rotation schedule.

What are you using for gasoline storage?
Does it work well?
What would you change?
Recommendations?
The NATO 20L gas cans are pretty much the gold standard, as far as metal containers go. They are the only can to be EPA/DOT/CARB legal. ULINE makes this one https://www.uline.com/BL_8171/Gas-C...Vchh9Ch2x4wJdEAAYASAAEgJSpvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds which is also DOT legal, I believe. Rotopax are nice, but expensive. Although they are plastic so there is weight savings, and they stack, so there is additional space savings. I personally use the Wavian (NATO) gas can and it's been fine for keeping in the back of the truck for camping/trail riding.

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
those racing jugs are great for quickly filling fuel cells in race cars and motorcycle, ATV's etc., but they're not good for filling cars that have filler necks designed for gas pump nozzles, because they don't have a rigid spout (at least not that I've seen), and the standard flexible hose they come with isn't even close to small enough to jam in that opening. I have a couple that I take to the race track, but for my truck I just stick with the NATO style metal cans that have a clip on metal spout attachment. the NATO style cans store a lot better too since they are narrower rather than big square things. I bought a couple off ebay years ago and they were fine other than the gasket being too thing and not sealing good, but that was easy to fix by cutting out a thicker piece of rubber. I've also found that they (mine anyway) only burp gas if you tip them too high. If you can keep them at just the right level they flow nice and smooth.

I noticed frontrunner now sells metal jerry cans with CARB compliant filler spouts, in case you're in an area that requires that.

Also, rotopax are good if you like carrying a bunch of 2 gallon jugs... but at least they store nicely.

I've heard great things about Sceptre Jerry cans (the military style ones) but I don't know what kind of spout they have...

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
those racing jugs are great for quickly filling fuel cells in race cars and motorcycle, ATV's etc., but they're not good for filling cars that have filler necks designed for gas pump nozzles, because they don't have a rigid spout (at least not that I've seen), and the standard flexible hose they come with isn't even close to small enough to jam in that opening. I have a couple that I take to the race track, but for my truck I just stick with the NATO style metal cans that have a clip on metal spout attachment. the NATO style cans store a lot better too since they are narrower rather than big square things. I bought a couple off ebay years ago and they were fine other than the gasket being too thing and not sealing good, but that was easy to fix by cutting out a thicker piece of rubber. I've also found that they (mine anyway) only burp gas if you tip them too high. If you can keep them at just the right level they flow nice and smooth.

I noticed frontrunner now sells metal jerry cans with CARB compliant filler spouts, in case you're in an area that requires that.

Also, rotopax are good if you like carrying a bunch of 2 gallon jugs... but at least they store nicely.

I've heard great things about Sceptre Jerry cans (the military style ones) but I don't know what kind of spout they have...
I've filled cars with the ones I linked to, the last six inches are rigid so they work in non-Fords. I hever filled a Ford with them.

Obijack

First Name
J J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 iconic sliver
Occupation
Attorney
50 gallon drum with a pump if your serious about storing fuel.

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Appraiser
That's how my dad buys diesel for his kubota for the summer. Kinda hurts the wallet to fill it, but buy once cry once, as they say.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
Years ago I was looking for gas cans for my wrangler. I had a Atlas tire carrier that stored two NATO cans perfectly. During my search I learned the gov (probably some stupid law started by California) required the “not for fuel use“ if the spout had opportunity to spill gas on the ground. So if it leaked even a little it was not going to be approved for fuel use.

Anyone using a fuel can is going to try their best not to spill gas so I hate this “not for fuel use” labels. I ended up with a wavian fuel can. Today those are a ridiculous $80 for gas steel and $50 for plastic. They have a rust proof lining and .....”Wavian currently produces the only EPA, CARB, and DOT approved steel fuel cans that are 100% legal in all 50 US states.” They make cans for NATO.

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL FX4 Supercab
Occupation
Healthcare
of these options, any thoughts on which one seals best if its bouncing around? we are thinking about investing in 2-5g gas storage to supplement for the long offroad trips, but in our case its going in the bed under the camper shell with all our stuff, instead of strapped to a fancy rack in the sunshine. Im wondering what would be the least likely to make our bed smell like a gas station for the rest of the month.

OP
OP
GTGallop

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Program Manager
of these options, any thoughts on which one seals best if its bouncing around? we are thinking about investing in 2-5g gas storage to supplement for the long offroad trips, but in our case its going in the bed under the camper shell with all our stuff, instead of strapped to a fancy rack in the sunshine. Im wondering what would be the least likely to make our bed smell like a gas station for the rest of the month.
So far the Cheapo Nato Knock Off from China (does that make it a KNATO of ChiNato Can?) that I got 3 years ago for $50 at the time would do that. I have only had to replace the seals once on it.

That doesn't mean I would reccomend it because I'm not sure how long it would be able to do it and if it can get the job done, is there something better that can as well. And the prices are still going up on them. You might get better for cheaper. Good Luck!

OP
OP
GTGallop

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Program Manager
Yeah.
But I'm also into taking it with me when I g camping or wheeling. 50 gallons is going to be a lot especially upright to have strapped in the bed.

Obijack

First Name
J J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 iconic sliver
Occupation
Attorney
The drum stays in your garage. But now that you mention it, you could get a fuel tank in your bed.

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Appraiser
Im wondering what would be the least likely to make our bed smell like a gas station for the rest of the month.
I wouldn't recommned any can for that. Try your best to find a way to store it outside if at all possible.
The drum stays in your garage. But now that you mention it, you could get a fuel tank in your bed.
And a harbor freight transfer pump. I think I saw them for like 80 bucks.
Sponsored