Is This How The 2.7 EB Really Looks?

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I said elsewhere that I may be tempted to trade my Ranger if the new one has the 2.7 EB.

However, after seeing this 2.7 image from the Bronco site, I'm not so sure.

1-bronco-chassis-frame-suspension-at-factory-5-jpg.jpg

On Bronco6G they are calling it the Medusa. A fitting name for the mental image it conjures.

For those that have a vehicle with the 2.7 EB ( I think @P. A. Schilke has one), does it really look like this underhood?

I found an F150 image but I don't know how accurate this would be for a smaller vehicle

2019-Ford-F-150-11229.jpg

And I thought the V8 in my GC was crowded.

This looks like a nightmare.
Sponsored

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
There are a few spy photos from the Bronco plant showing the 2.7 and yes this is how it looks crammed under the hood. On the Bronco forum there are twice as many members there (almost 17K) as there are here so you're going to get a lot more opinions. Most which are no better than those who are on the Tacoma World site. :wink:

Most seem to feel the 2.3 will be underpowered for the Bronco not based on facts but just because it's a 4 cyl, even thought the Bronco and the Ranger are close in weight. I've tried to tell them how great the 2.3 is and that the towing rate on the Ranger is 7,500 lbs compared to the Bronco which is only 3,500 but it falls on deaf ears over there. I've even linked the threads from the towing section here but some just have it set in their head the 2.7 is going to be superior for their "Mall Crawlers" with the Sasquatch package. :cool:

You're right it looks like a nightmare to work on and then take into account you now have two turbos that could have potential problems. After driving my Ranger for about 1.5 years now I love this motor and I ordered the 2.3 for my Bronco.

Last edited:

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
What the hell is going on there? :oops: That is an absolute mess. I have not seen one in an F-150, so I would hope that this is just a pre-production version without any tidying of harnesses, hoses, etc. But even with some tidying up, there will still be a lot to navigate under there. Lol.

Lost19Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 PKG
Occupation
Sales
I drive a 2.7 f150 as my everyday work truck and yes it has plenty of hoses and wires but man that engine is great. I think our 2.3 in our rangers are great the move the trucks just fine but if I were to order a bronco although I would want a manual i also want a 2.7.

Obviously Ford won’t be putting a 2.7 in the ranger because I’m sure that would cut more into the f150 sales. But if they do that would be the truck! 2.7 fx4 lifted on 33” lol

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
There are a few spy photos from the Bronco plant showing the 2.7 and yes this is how it looks crammed under the hood. On the Bronco forum there are twice as many members there (almost 17K) as there are here so you're going to get a lot more opinions. Most which are no better than those who are on the Tacoma World site. :wink:

Most seem to feel the 2.3 will be underpowered for the Bronco not based on facts but just because it's a 4 cyl, even thought the Bronco and the Ranger are close in weight. I've tried to tell them how great the 2.3 is and that the towing rate on the Ranger is 7,500 lbs compared to the Bronco which is only 3,500 but it falls on deaf ears over there. I've even linked the threads from the towing section here but some just have it set in their head the 2.7 is going to be superior for their "Mall Crawlers" with the Sasquatch package. :cool:

You're right it looks like a nightmare to work on and then take into account you now have two turbos that could have potential problems. After driving my Ranger for about 1.5 years now I love this motor and I ordered the 2.3 for my Bronco.
A lady pulled out in front of me in my fusion an I got a chevy Colorado as a rental.....I had been thinking about another truck an thought it's be a test period of living with one in a cramped condo parking lot. That V6 was fun though.

I put off looking at the rangers because I felt the 2.3 would be too small an always under boost to move a truck around.

I was getting an oil change in the fusion an wondered over to look at the rangers while waiting an saw end of year pricing so tempting I test drove one an man was I wrong about the 2.3 in a small/mid sized truck.

That does look like a mess of an engine bay but the motor is loved by owners an I don't usually keep a vehicle long enough to have to deal with major stuff anyway. A lady I know has an edge ST an it sounds like a screamer with that 2.7.

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
Looks pretty normal to me but I have worked on this stuff for 40+ years. Extra plumbing for 2 turbos making things look bad. Alternator is still very low mounted . Bret

Strokerduster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger XLT, 2019 Edge ST, 1946 CJ2a street rod, shop full of motoorcycles
Vehicle Showcase
I'm on my third 2.7 vehicle, 2 MKX and 1 Edge ST. I usually trade somewhere between 70 & 100k. All that has ever been done is oil changes so all the plumbing doesn't bother me at all.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Obviously Ford won’t be putting a 2.7 in the ranger because I’m sure that would cut more into the f150 sales. But if they do that would be the truck! 2.7 fx4 lifted on 33” lol
It will almost certainly be an option on the next gen ranger for the same reason it's in the bronco: the US market loves unnecessarily large engines. Personally I think the 2.3 is perfect for this application.

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
Looks pretty normal to me but I have worked on this stuff for 40+ years. Extra plumbing for 2 turbos making things look bad. Alternator is still very low mounted . Bret
Sadly, I don't even know where the alternator on our rangers is mounted (take away my mancard). I know its low, but is it as low as the 2.7?

krisrayner

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Ranger FX2
It won't be an issue till 15 years and probably 150k miles. When you try to one repair and break a plastic coolant T fitting cause you looked at it wrong...Even the 2.3 isn't "simple" like an old school N/A port fuel injected vehicle.

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
Sadly, I don't even know where the alternator on our rangers is mounted (take away my mancard). I know its low, but is it as low as the 2.7?
Its pretty well in the same area. I think we have the same last name Earl, distant relatives ? LOL Bret

Bomlodr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 SVO, 2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Engineer
I've owned (2) 3.5EB F150s, a 2015 5.0 Mustang, and now the 2.3 Ranger. I've never given engine packaging a second thought with any of them. In reality, most people will never touch anything under the hood of their new cars and those that do, have the entirety of the internet to guide them along generally without doing too much damage. The basic design of the internal combustion engine hasn't changed much in the last 100 years or more. It still requires air, fuel, and spark to operate and water to cool it. The 2.3 Turbo in my 84 SVO is not all that dissimilar to the 2.3 turbo in my 2020 Ranger. Engine management however, is where the similarities end and where the complexities increase exponentially.

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
Its pretty well in the same area. I think we have the same last name Earl, distant relatives ? LOL Bret
Last name Gilbert? Probably. My ancestors were one of four families that emigrated to the colonies in the early 1600's, but the records were lost during King Phillips war. The Conant side of my great-grandfather was better researched because Roger Conant was pretty famous.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
just needs a nice all encompassing engine cover, out of sight out of mind. None of this Lariat only as with the current Ranger.
Sponsored