Is there an installation video for McGard VKB3Z-18168-A TAILGATE LOCK

1911tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru/2020 Ranger
I find the included instructional installation photos as useless. I find videos for other McGard tailgate locks, but not this one for the Ranger. Thanks folks!
Sponsored

machinist85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
I find the included instructional installation photos as useless. I find videos for other McGard tailgate locks, but not this one for the Ranger. Thanks folks!
I put one on my truck a couple weeks ago. It's just one bolt. The hardest part is wiggling the bracket into position as it's a tight fit. It takes about 5 minutes to install. If you want I could take a picture of mine if it would help.

TONTO

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I put one on a week or so ago. For me, I had to hold the instructions upside down for them to make sense as it is the actual angle you will be working from. Took me longer than 5 minutes because I have very big hands and if you have someone else there to help I would use them. Message me with your phone number if you would like to do phone call or face time and I would be glad to give it a shot.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I put one on my truck a couple weeks ago. It's just one bolt. The hardest part is wiggling the bracket into position as it's a tight fit. It takes about 5 minutes to install. If you want I could take a picture of mine if it would help.
You win! Best Avatar Ever.

What was this thread about?

1610314793644.png

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
No video, only pics of mine installed.

Image 1083.png

Image 1082.png

Image 1087.png
Hi RR,

Yeah..I fussed with mine for all of about 10 minutes to get it in place with the tail gate partially out of its socket. Puzzle lock key in my ¼" socket was the easy part to tighten the puzzle lock bolt.

We took my 07 Ranger to the Tucson Airport....leaving the Lincoln safely in the garage. Gone two weeks...found the Ranger Tail gate down and clear attempt to steal, only to be foiled by a hose clamp I had installed. I also recognized the 5G design was different and when the tailgate lock became available, I signed up right away.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Wings06j

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Did yours come with a foam pad? The instructions mention one by my kit didn't have it. Also is it needed?

Highlander

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Shadow Black Lariat 501A TREMOR
Occupation
Private
Vehicle Showcase
Did yours come with a foam pad? The instructions mention one by my kit didn't have it. Also is it needed?
Bit of a zombie thread. The OP hasn't posted in a long time.

Screenshot_20220921-200258.jpg

Frank

mokupilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 DeeZee Lariat Tremor, 09 Escape Limited
Occupation
Heavy aluminum tube logistics and transportation ✈
God, I hated installing that damn thing. Maybe if I had 4 hands to hold it together, I dunno. Mine came with a clear sticker to protect the paint.

Wings06j

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Got mine installed today. No sticker. Maybe I just got lucky but it actually went in rather easily. Hard part was getting the torque wrench in. I had to grab a regular crescent wrench to get it almost completely in before I had room for a torque wrench. Less than 1/4 turn with the torque wrench and it was at the right force.

Prime Time

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Tremor
Occupation
Broadcasting
Here in Texas, tailgate thefts are common and drive up insurance rates.

I put simple hose clamps on my last truck, but it doesn't look like i could get them on this tailgate. The hinges are designed differently.

Any tailgate locks designed for Rangers?