Is the 2.3 EcoBoost Dual Injection? (PI and DI)

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I know the V6 EcoBoost is both port injection and direct injection to help keep the intake runner and valve clean from build up. I haven't tore down a 2.3L yet and I'm wondering if anyone here knows if the Ranger's 2.3L has dual injection i.e. port and direct injection? If so these companies selling catch cans are just making money and providing a product which doesn't do very much at all. Thanks.
Sponsored

Obijack

First Name
J J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 iconic sliver
Occupation
Attorney
Nope. But I know in the Mazdaspeed3/6 people added port injection to get more fuel to the combustion chamber.

Last edited:

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Agreed it's not. But it does have a factory installed oil/air separator on the PCV system that significantly reduces the amount of oil vapor returning to the intake to a fraction of previous iterations of this engine had. This with an updated EGR valve timing scheme to reduce contact time of exhaust gasses on the intake valves all but eliminates the need for a catch can.

From my observations so far, adding catch cans to the 2.3L is collecting mostly a water/fuel condensate (mostly in cold weather) with very little oil mixed in with it. Even Mishimoto's testing showed similar results. So yes they are removing vapor from the PCV system, but it's nothing like what you would see on TGDI engines w/o a separator in the PCV system.

As for companies selling them, sure why not as they clearly are working, but with such little oil making back to the intake from the reported "testing" done, are they really needed for this engine? Only time will tell but keep in mind each catch can installation can in no way compare to any other as no two trucks will be under the same driving conditions. So what driver A's can collects vs driver B is meaningless and is no basis for justification for truly needing one. At the end of the day it's your money so it's your choice. If you want one, buy one and install it. Just don't forget to add it to your regular maintenance schedule.

MJB4450

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Challenger, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
USAF Retired
Agreed it's not. But it does have a factory installed oil/air separator on the PCV system that significantly reduces the amount of oil vapor returning to the intake to a fraction of previous iterations of this engine had.
This is very important info to me I've been looking for but could not find. If you could point me to more sources of info on this I could read up on for this particular engine, I would appreciate it.

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
Agreed it's not. But it does have a factory installed oil/air separator on the PCV system that significantly reduces the amount of oil vapor returning to the intake to a fraction of previous iterations of this engine had. This with an updated EGR valve timing scheme to reduce contact time of exhaust gasses on the intake valves all but eliminates the need for a catch can.
I would be interested in a link to this information as well. Thank you.

OP
OP
Indy650

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat

From my observations so far, adding catch cans to the 2.3L is collecting mostly a water/fuel condensate (mostly in cold weather) with very little oil mixed in with it. Even Mishimoto's testing showed similar results. So yes they are removing vapor from the PCV system, but it's nothing like what you would see on TGDI engines w/o a separator in the PCV system.

As for companies selling them, sure why not as they clearly are working, but with such little oil making back to the intake from the reported "testing" done, are they really needed for this engine? Only time will tell but keep in mind each catch can installation can in no way compare to any other as no two trucks will be under the same driving conditions. So what driver A's can collects vs driver B is meaningless and is no basis for justification for truly needing one. At the end of the day it's your money so it's your choice. If you want one, buy one and install it. Just don't forget to add it to your regular maintenance schedule.
I assumed it would have a factory separator if not dual injection thanks for that it puts me at ease. That with good oil and frequent oil changes should prevent most build up/blow by
Sponsored