Is my shadow black just not done well?

Lost19Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 PKG
Occupation
Sales
So I traded in my 2017 shadow black Ford Fusion for a 2019 Ranger shadow black. I love the truck I have 4600 mile on her after getting her April 3rd.

But I feel like my pain just looks horrible it looks like my 2017 fusion did 3 years later. Hairline scratches everywhere small chips in random areas.

Now besides the small and I mean small chips. All of the scratches or what ever they are called can be taken care of with a professional detail but I’m worried that 4600 miles and it looks like 30k lol. Ok I may be Exaggerating a bit but it just doesn’t seem like it will hold up that great.
Anyone with a shadow black have any input? Do I just pay for the detail and hope it last?
Sponsored

Stanced

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SCrew XLT Sport 4x4
How do you wash it?

OP
OP
Lost19Ranger

Lost19Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales
How do you wash it?
so I spray it with my pressure washer than foam cannon than I take it down the road to a touchlesscar wash. ( I don’t own everything to do it with out scratches but apparently they may not either. But when I bought it I noticed water spots so the dealer detailed it 2 weeks ago to take care of that. They did a crappy job I can tell that.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Locate a detailer and have them tell you if the pain t is messed up?

OP
OP
Lost19Ranger

Lost19Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales
Locate a detailer and have them tell you if the pain t is messed up?
thats what I’ll have to do but I figured I’ll get it detailed first and see if that fixes I guess.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Honestly, I NEVER let the dealer touch the paint after I sign the contract. A good detailer can polish out the scratches. If you have the coin, have a professional put a ceramic coat on there and your touchless car wash and foam cannon will be great DIY tools for several years.

Stanced

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SCrew XLT Sport 4x4
A proper paint correction by a detailer will remove the swirl marks/light scratching and restore the gloss.

But the key to keeping paint swirl free (especially black) is how it’s maintained.

I recommend looking into a ceramic coating to make maintenance easier and it will be a stronger barrier on the paint vs. standard sealant/wax. Proper wash process is key. I personally recommend investing and learning proper wash etiquette to minimize wash-induced swirls/marring.

I detail for a living. I normally point people in the direction of Obsessed Garage if they’re serious about their car cleaning. I’m huge supporter of Matt, been following him since the beginning. He uses a lot of products I’ve used/use that I’d also recommend.

The best wash media for black paint is the Esoteric Elite Car Wash Sponge. I have 4 of these and ONLY use them on my clients cars that are black (as well as my shadow black Ranger). Best I’ve ever used. But proper protection and wash process is also key when using these.

https://www.esotericcarcare.com/esoteric-elite-car-wash-sponge/

Last edited:

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
So I traded in my 2017 shadow black Ford Fusion for a 2019 Ranger shadow black. I love the truck I have 4600 mile on her after getting her April 3rd.

But I feel like my pain just looks horrible it looks like my 2017 fusion did 3 years later. Hairline scratches everywhere small chips in random areas.

Now besides the small and I mean small chips. All of the scratches or what ever they are called can be taken care of with a professional detail but I’m worried that 4600 miles and it looks like 30k lol. Ok I may be Exaggerating a bit but it just doesn’t seem like it will hold up that great.
Anyone with a shadow black have any input? Do I just pay for the detail and hope it last?
Out of curiosity, is your fuel door fully painted? The top of mine is basically primer (Shadow Black as well).

OP
OP
Lost19Ranger

Lost19Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales
Out of curiosity, is your fuel door fully painted? The top of mine is basically primer (Shadow Black as well).
Mine is fully painted, what really has me worried is all of these random paint issues from other post made me start really looking at my paint for problems

OP
OP
Lost19Ranger

Lost19Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales
A proper paint correction by a detailer will remove the swirl marks/light scratching and restore the gloss.

But the key to keeping paint swirl free (especially black) is how it’s maintained.

I recommend looking into a ceramic coating to make maintenance easier and it will be a stronger barrier on the paint vs. standard sealant/wax. Proper wash process is key. I personally recommend investing and learning proper wash etiquette to minimize wash-induced swirls/marring.

I detail for a living. I normally point people in the direction of Obsessed Garage if they’re serious about their car cleaning. I’m huge supporter of Matt, been following him since the beginning. He uses a lot of products I’ve used/use that I’d also recommend.

The best wash media for black paint is the Esoteric Elite Car Wash Sponge. I have 4 of these and ONLY use them on my clients cars that are black (as well as my shadow black Ranger). Best I’ve ever used. But proper protection and wash process is also key when using these.

https://www.esotericcarcare.com/esoteric-elite-car-wash-sponge/

I will look into them thank you
Sponsored