Is a 10,000 mile oil change interval ideal for the 2.3L?

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
did you ever have non 20k oil tested ? Just curious how those results would compare with Mobil xlife. If you were close to me I'd be tempted to free of charge pickup your changed oil . I had an old Plymouth Fury beater car once and an older brother that did 3k changes and his oil went into the Fury to keep it topped off. Of all the autos I've owned that was the sole oil burner.
Pretty sure my first change was just the normal Mobile 1 as the pandemic had just kicked off and the shelves were bare. I was classified as an essential worker so driving daily was happening for me. Needed a change and wanted to go full synthetic after factory oil was thru break in period. If I remember right finding a filter of quality was just as hard as finding the oil.
Sponsored

Sanctus Rimor

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RMT Ranger
Check your manual. Pretty sure it AND the OLM say 10k miles or 1 year.
Probably, but I also drink expired milk and take outdated meds.

Seriouslythough, I usually change it every 3500 or so which is just under a year for me. There just wasn't any smartypants comments on pg 1, so I felt compelled. And there were enough legit answers for OP to make his own informed decision.

Last edited:

Sanctus Rimor

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RMT Ranger
And I have a feeling I'm going to be keeping this one past 3 years. I even bought a 5 yr ext warranty.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
5 pages of click bait, and still no definitive answer satisfied the OP.

OP
OP

ccasanova22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT Tremor

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Some OLMs track calendar and give a 12 month warning, I thought Ford's does I'm thinking his post was intended as humor. Someone mentioned not changing the oil and discovering the results, mechanics post such clip on youtube and seen a few where the oil in the crank essentially turns into a thick gel - some had many ten of thousands of miles.
Ours definitely tracks time. As evidenced by others' posts here.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Probably, but I also drink expired milk and take outdated meds.

Seriouslythough, I usually change it every 3500 or so which is just under a year for me. There just wasn't any smartypants comments on pg 1, so I felt compelled. And there were enough legit answers for OP to make his own informed decision.
Same, I don't drive much anymore and just change mine at 6 months. Sometimes that is only ~2k miles. Although the oil I use (Mobile 1 Extended Performance) says it can go a year the oil monitor is typically around 30% in 6 months. I do a lot of short drives so my oil is taking a beating I guess. I should do the Blackstone test like Trig next time.

OP
OP

ccasanova22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT Tremor
Same, I don't drive much anymore and just change mine at 6 months. Sometimes that is only ~2k miles. Although the oil I use (Mobile 1 Extended Performance) says it can go a year the oil monitor is typically around 30% in 6 months. I do a lot of short drives so my oil is taking a beating I guess. I should do the Blackstone test like Trig next time.
Yes, I think after reading through the replies the guy with the race team makes the most sense. Check at 5,000 and then see what the lab says. Once I'm there I'll be able to report whether or not the truck can truly go that long on the Ford Motorcraft oil. As mentioned earlier, Blackstone has recommended going beyond the OLM mileage on other cars, so I guess the proof is in the pudding.

FWIW, short drives of under 15-20 miles depleted oil on my other vehicles faster than the OLM did recommend, so 1,500 to 2,000 miles of short drives turned out to be more wear than 5k of more continuous highway driving. YMMV, but all of this makes sense based on ntechnic's response.

dguffin

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Corsair, 19 Ranger, 12 Boss, 08 Zuma
Occupation
Shop Foreman
Vehicle Showcase
Turbo engines are tough on oil. I wouldnā€™t go over 5k unless your strictly highway. Iā€˜ve seen a lot of oil come out of turbo engines and itā€™s used up.

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
LOL........thinking there's a design flaw with the bed sitting too high?? Haaaaaa!
You did not just do that! :LOL:

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
Mine will be 6 months or 5000 miles, whichever comes first. Always Castrol full syn. Always Wix filters. But my goal is 200K miles minimum out of the Ranger... assuming it does actually make it to my driveway one of these days. Since I plan on keeping it forever proactive oil changes are cheap insurance. Plus I enjoy doing a bit of wrenching on my vehicles.

For both of my current cars I've simply followed the OLM. And due to low annual miles both have normally notified me at the one year mark. Easy to track! I know that both cars need an oil change every July. After the Ranger arrives we'll sell the Fusion Sport and keep the ST. And I'll keep on following the OLM as in the next year or two we'll be replacing the ST. So the OLM is fine. Both these have only seen Castrol full syn and Wix filters.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Turbo engines are tough on oil. I wouldnā€™t go over 5k unless your strictly highway. Iā€˜ve seen a lot of oil come out of turbo engines and itā€™s used up.
guy down the street tools around in a porsche turbo and tells me that porsche recommends mobil 1 0w-40 with 10k miles or annual oil change.

I mention this for 3 reasons:

-lubricating oils are much improved from decades back and continue to improve
-I don't see why a number of mfg, Ford included don't specify full synthetic oil for their turbo offerings, synthetic holds up better at higher temps, but with nearly all turbos now being water cooled and more engines designed from inception with highly efficient cooling, coking of the turbo isn't very common like in the days of pre water cooled bearings and pre syn oils.
- porsche's ain't cheap and they seem to know a bit about turbo charging and high performance.

brroberts

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD SuperCab
Occupation
audio / semi retired
My OLM definitely responds differently depending on the load the engine is under. Non towing changes between long towing trips have very different OLM recommendations. Towing, between 5-6K the oil is okay, but clearly headed toward end of life. The OLM usually says 5200-5600 miles towing. Not towing, it always looks great, but Iā€™ve never gone much further because I have to change it for a towing trip. I use Blackstone since it is a GDI turbo. On my big Chevy V8, it doesnā€™t get a lot of miles, so I change it every year. It does not get Blackstone. The Corolla gets 8-10K with mostly highway miles.

C.moore01

First Name
Colbey Moore
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 escape 2019 ranger
110k miles on mine with Highway driving my iolm goes off around 10k sometimes less .. I change when the light comes on and have never had an issue .. I use Castrol edge
Sponsored