Introduction/Question

Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Hi all. I was all for the bronco and had a reservation that I made on 8/15, but due to life, uncertainty, and not getting over the feeling that I was not getting my money's worth, I decided to cancel it. I do need a vehicle soon, as I dont know how long my focus will last with its DCT. Its still worth some money in a trade in, so I'd rather get rid of it now then wait and end up scraping it or selling it for next to nothing. I also need new tires very soon and I'd rather not drop 400-600 on new ones. Since I canceled the bronco, I've been really looking into the ranger. I wanted one since 2019 when they came back to the US, so I knew that was my 'backup' for my next vehicle. I've looked on this forum quite a bit the last week, and I had a couple questions. On the Bronco forums, people freak out about the 2.3 and pretty much demand it needs a catch can. (who knows how many people actually have a ranger, or just think more cylinders=more better). My next question is in regards to leasing vs buying the ranger. If I was to lease, will i be able to use it like a truck? Just throw stuff in the bed and off road? Or do I have to be more careful and mindful of what I do with the truck? Not to mention with the 6th gen coming out in a few years. I would love to buy, but as i mentioned, I've heard a lot of info about the 2.3 so I'm not sure what to think. I've also never owned a truck before (you'd be suprised how many 2x4's can fit in a focus) and only have driven an f150 a few miles, so I'm not sure what to expect. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 2020 Fleetwood Bounder 35P
Occupation
Retired
Welcome, Trustable.

First things first. Go. Drive. One. People can tell you all about which golf club is the best, but that's for their swing. You need to see how it feels to you.

Second, if you decide to lease, you DO have to be a little more careful, but that doesn't mean you can't drive it. I have a Ford lease (lease is owned by FMC) on my Explorer and if you read through it, it will tell you in no uncertain terms what is OK for wear-and-tear and what you are going to be charged for. I have leased vehicles since the mid-80's. It's just what I prefer to do. I never have to worry about a maintenance fix on my vehicle. Just gas, oil, and insurance. Occasionally, tires because they wore out quicker than expected. Sometimes, I've purchased the vehicle at the end of the lease because it was a great vehicle and it was better for me at that point in life. More often, I give it back and get something new.

Not sure what you've heard about the 2.3. The thing is an animal for such a "small" engine. I mean, 0-to-60 in under 7, hauls 7500 pounds,...

Let us know how your test drive went tomorrow! :D

PS-- what part of Michigan?

OP
OP
Trustable

Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Welcome, Trustable.

First things first. Go. Drive. One. People can tell you all about which golf club is the best, but that's for their swing. You need to see how it feels to you.

Second, if you decide to lease, you DO have to be a little more careful, but that doesn't mean you can't drive it. I have a Ford lease (lease is owned by FMC) on my Explorer and if you read through it, it will tell you in no uncertain terms what is OK for wear-and-tear and what you are going to be charged for. I have leased vehicles since the mid-80's. It's just what I prefer to do. I never have to worry about a maintenance fix on my vehicle. Just gas, oil, and insurance. Occasionally, tires because they wore out quicker than expected. Sometimes, I've purchased the vehicle at the end of the lease because it was a great vehicle and it was better for me at that point in life. More often, I give it back and get something new.

Not sure what you've heard about the 2.3. The thing is an animal for such a "small" engine. I mean, 0-to-60 in under 7, hauls 7500 pounds,...

Let us know how your test drive went tomorrow! :D

PS-- what part of Michigan?
Thanks! Yeah i heard its a great engine, some people seem to freak about it though saying it wont last, because of it only being direct injection instead of port and direct like the 2.7tt and it being stressed to hard. From south SE Michigan, within a hour of the assembly plant. I honestly havent even thought about a test drive, but i will definitly do that soon, hopefully before the end of this week. I'm not sure if you can answer this, but all the dealerships around me only have the super crews around me, I'm looking at a super cab, will the handling be pretty much the same since both are the same wheelbase? Thanks for the info on leasing, will keep that in mind!

OP
OP
Trustable

Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
I traded in my 2015 focus with shit DCT to get my 2020 ranger a few months back. No regrets whatsoever lol.
I love my focus, but the transmission is its downfall. If they still sold ST's over here I would probably be getting one of those, always wanted one.

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Thanks! Yeah i heard its a great engine, some people seem to freak about it though saying it wont last, because of it only being direct injection instead of port and direct like the 2.7tt and it being stressed to hard. From south SE Michigan, within a hour of the assembly plant. I honestly havent even thought about a test drive, but i will definitly do that soon, hopefully before the end of this week. I'm not sure if you can answer this, but all the dealerships around me only have the super crews around me, I'm looking at a super cab, will the handling be pretty much the same since both are the same wheelbase? Thanks for the info on leasing, will keep that in mind!
I would think the handling would be very similar, simply because of that, but tbh, I've only driven the Supercrew. Grandkids, y'know? As for the 2.3, I have zero lack of confidence. Then again, I'll only have it for three years! :D

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Not too many folks around here will suggest you don’t get a Ranger. ?

If you’re a SuperCab fan, hold out for what you want and search hard. I’ve heard the screw is a little bit heavier than the scab but to the average non-Motor Trend professional test/review driver (you, me, and everyone else on here), they will drive the same. It comes down to needs and wants. Either choice will go like hell and look good doing it.

Catch cans? Never heard of one until I logged on here. Then, all I got were mixed messages about the need or benefits of them.

Lease vs own? There are benefits to both. If you struggle making the call, maybe an open-ended lease is for you.

5g vs 6g? Pull the trigger, from what you and others are saying, your focus won’t be worth free floor mats if you wait. Besides, you’d be surprised how many MORE 2x4s can fit in a Ranger.

Good luck and I hope you find what you’re looking for.

OP
OP
Trustable

Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Not too many folks around here will suggest you don’t get a Ranger. ?

If you’re a SuperCab fan, hold out for what you want and search hard. I’ve heard the screw is a little bit heavier than the scab but to the average non-Motor Trend professional test/review driver (you, me, and everyone else on here), they will drive the same. It comes down to needs and wants. Either choice will go like hell and look good doing it.

Catch cans? Never heard of one until I logged on here. Then, all I got were mixed messages about the need or benefits of them.

Lease vs own? There are benefits to both. If you struggle making the call, maybe an open-ended lease is for you.

5g vs 6g? Pull the trigger, from what you and others are saying, your focus won’t be worth free floor mats if you wait. Besides, you’d be surprised how many MORE 2x4s can fit in a Ranger.

Good luck and I hope you find what you’re looking for.
Thanks! I'll look into that lease. And your absolutely right about the focus worth haha! I am looking forward to 2x4's not getting in the way while trying to turn right :)

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
We had a 2012 focus. Nice car until issues started. Wife gave it to daughter, I did the work, wheel bearings, struts, ball joints. You know, it just got tired ? Then tranny was slipping and I’m like, I know you really like this but... She’s in an Escape now. I went Ranger to Ranger. If you look long enough you can find scabs. Should be a few 2020’s kicking around still that would come with some pretty good incentives. Find a dealer that you can work with and let them find what’s out there. Good luck and, ya you’ll be glad you did.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
"Officer, what is the problem? Did I not signal my turn or something???"

1611621108984.png
Too funny.

Reminds me of a guy I knew when I lived in Vancouver. He had a brand new Infiniti with full leather interior - he was so proud of it. He made a trip to Home Depot and bought some 8’ mouldings, threaded them through the open front passenger window, between the front seat backs, and rested them on the rear seat and up against the rear driver’s side door. They stuck out the window a bit but nothing like in the picture above.

Everything was great until he pulled into his narrow, single car garage - much narrower than how far those mouldings stuck out. Rip, tear, splinter, bend, pierce.

A month later, he tried to park his Subaru Legacy in the same garage with two road bikes on his roof rack.

Poor Chris!
1611622089538.png

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Too funny.

Reminds me of a guy I knew when I lived in Vancouver. He had a brand new Infiniti with full leather interior - he was so proud of it. He made a trip to Home Depot and bought some 8’ mouldings, threaded them through the open front passenger window, between the front seat backs, and rested them on the rear seat and up against the rear driver’s side door. They stuck out the window a bit but nothing like in the picture above.

Everything was great until he pulled into his narrow, single car garage - much narrower than how far those mouldings stuck out. Rip, tear, splinter, bend, pierce.

A month later, he tried to park his Subaru Legacy in the same garage with two road bikes on his roof rack.

Poor Chris!
1611622089538.png
I would be absolutely devastated for our road bikes if I did that!!! Thankfully, we are both short so we decided early on that roof racks would not work for us. Poor Chris, indeed.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Timothy,

Like John Wayne said: Life is tough! It is even tougher when you are stupid.