intermittent brake lights

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
Anyone have problems with their brake lights? I have an XLT with LED units.

I had a lady wave me down about a month ago and tell me they weren't working. When I stopped and checked they worked.

Now today I park and a cop tells me the same thing. I fired up the truck and sure enough they aren't working.

Going on vacation on Friday so that's not good
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone have problems with their brake lights? I have an XLT with LED units.

I had a lady wave me down about a month ago and tell me they weren't working. When I stopped and checked they worked.

Now today I park and a cop tells me the same thing. I fired up the truck and sure enough they aren't working.

Going on vacation on Friday so that's not good
Hi Cfhgarza,

Chech the frame rail about mid frame between the wheels. There is a huge connector there that may be your problem. There was a TSB on this issue and a recall IIRC.

OP
OP
cfhgarza

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
I'm
does the brake light recall apply to this model year?

i would still read it, and take a look at it yourself, and/or take it in to the dealer.

with all the poor quality issues coming out of Ford, it's a good possibility they didnt snap the connector together well enough.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2019/11/25/ford-motor-company-issues-safety-recall-for-select--2019-ranger.html#:~:text=25, 2019 – Ford Motor Company,intermittent or inoperative tail lamps.
Thanks. I'm going pull that main plug when I get home and check the pins

OP
OP
cfhgarza

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
UPDATE: Since I didn't see anything wrong with any wires I undid my Forscan changes and they started working. Not sure if that fixes the problem but they are working for now. I will keep everyone updated.

I didn't see anything wrong with the connection but I have DTC for stop lamp short to ground. Any any advice on what to check?

PXL_20210531_160100751.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
cfhgarza

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
Just wanted to update everyone. I used the wrong Forscan settings when I upgraded to the Lariat headlights. It was causing a BCM fault which would cause the brake lights to stop working.

Try these instead of above. This has worked (so far) to make my lights work without all the BCM issues that this configuration has been causing. Try this out. Quote below showing issue and fix.

726-26-02 needs the * number to be a 1 for factory LED xxxx xxx* xxxx

726-45-01 * numbers changed to 1000 to enable DRL xxxx **** xxxx

726-50-01 change the only 4 numbers to 108E which chooses the dedicated DRL
Sponsored