Insurance to pay for aftermarket bumper?

TomBerger

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
Occupation
Tech Sales
My neighbor backed into my year old Ranger XLT last week. He asked me to check shops before filing a claim, which I did and they all recommended a full bumper replacement. The estimates ranged from $1500-$1800 as they all said they couldn't knock out the dent without affecting the integrity of the steel. My neighbor told me I would file a claim so I did. I got an estimate from a reputable off road shop for a Rough Country steel bumper at $1200 out the door, Making it cheaper than the OEM parts by nearly $300.

Has anyone had any luck getting another party's insurance company to pay for an aftermarket part like this, or even just cut you a check instead of paying a body shop directly when there is still an outstanding loan on the vehicle?
Sponsored

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Is you truck paid for? If so have the insurance company cut you the check directly.

If not, yea you should be able to work something through the body shop.
Doesn't even have to be paid for in my experience. But that might vary by state.

OP, should've given them the estimate for factory bumper. They'll cut you a check o matter what. Then you would've either had extra left over or enough to paint the RC Magnetic if you're sport package.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Since you’re filing a 3rd party claim with the other guys insurance, they’ll just cut you a check. They don’t care what you do with the money. If it was your insurance company, it would be different, especially if you have a lien-holder. They would cut the check to you and your shop.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Since you’re filing a 3rd party claim with the other guys insurance, they’ll just cut you a check. They don’t care what you do with the money. If it was your insurance company, it would be different, especially if you have a lien-holder. They would cut the check to you and your shop.
Progressive paid me directly on my claim last year. My truck has a lein.

Again, it could vary by state, but your insurance company only cares about your lein holder in the event of a total loss.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Insurers have an interest in having their insureds fix the vehicle so they don’t end up paying for the same (unrepaired) damage again in the event of another accident. I don‘t know why they would pay you directly, but maybe they just made a mistake.

Fordup

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Lariat Crew , 1966 Chevrolet Biscayne
Occupation
Retired YouTube Creator
For that amount if I hit you, I would just give you a check and avoid insurance all together. It's going to cost him more then that in the future with that documented.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Insurers have an interest in having their insureds fix the vehicle so they don’t end up paying for the same (unrepaired) damage again in the event of another accident. I don‘t know why they would pay you directly, but maybe they just made a mistake.
True. When I filed a hail damage claim a couple of weeks back they did ask if the vehicle had any unrepaired damage.

Perhaps it had something to do with it being an uninsured motorist claim.
Or perhaps it varies by state. Or perhaps me not carrying gap effects their process.

But in any regard it doesn't matter. If my hail damage totalled my vehicle and upon inspection they saw that the previous damage was never fixed they would simply short the payout that amount. If there were any left to pay my lein holder that would be my responsibility as always.
For that amount if I hit you, I would just give you a check and avoid insurance all together. It's going to cost him more then that in the future with that documented.
This all day.

TuggerNutz

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shoes
Been there done that. My ARB Summit Bumper is arriving this week. 😉

I filed a claim through my insurance. They gave me 3 options. I chose the payout after the estimate. But a total front bumper replacement was $2,400 for my quote. It's going to be a little bit for me to get my deductible back. Then got a forum discount from Frank at Stage 3 Motorsports on here. The only "bad" thing is I'm upgrading other parts now. đŸ€Ł

Last edited:
OP
OP

TomBerger

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tech Sales
I had a vehicle damaged by a landscape company at one time. They were grading my neighbors property and flung some rocks into my 1 day old vehicle. Yeah, that sucked. Anyways, they had their adjuster come out and look at it, made the estimate and cut me a check for repairs.
Thats what I am hoping for!

OP
OP

TomBerger

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tech Sales
Doesn't even have to be paid for in my experience. But that might vary by state.

OP, should've given them the estimate for factory bumper. They'll cut you a check o matter what. Then you would've either had extra left over or enough to paint the RC Magnetic if you're sport package.
Hindsight is 20/20 haha! I'd never done this before so I wasnt sure how it worked. Wishing I posted this here first!

OP
OP

TomBerger

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tech Sales
Yeah we tried that. He just told me he didn't have that kind of money laying around. Which I get, but I am the same. I would rather pay that out of pocket then take the hit on my insurance

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
True. When I filed a hail damage claim a couple of weeks back they did ask if the vehicle had any unrepaired damage.

Perhaps it had something to do with it being an uninsured motorist claim.
Or perhaps it varies by state. Or perhaps me not carrying gap effects their process.

But in any regard it doesn't matter. If my hail damage totalled my vehicle and upon inspection they saw that the previous damage was never fixed they would simply short the payout that amount. If there were any left to pay my lein holder that would be my responsibility as always.
Just got an email from Progressive on my hail claim. Here's a quote frome the body of the email.

Payment in the amount of the estimate less your $1000 deductible has been issued to you, and should be received within 5-7 business days. The decision to repair is yours
and no need to repair your vehicle if you choose not to. If you have a vehicle loan, the lienholder may require you to repair the damage. You should check with them before you make a final decision.
Like I said. Insurance soesn't give a rats ass if your vehicle gets fixed or not. Frankly, your lein holder doesn't either, as long as you make your payments.

OP
OP

TomBerger

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tech Sales
Update:
The insurance company approved the quote to have my damaged OEM bumper repaired with the RC steel front bumper. They are cutting me a check for more than the bumper + install
Sponsored