Reaction score
Website
www.pmiyoshiphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback16, Ford Ranger 11
Occupation
⭐ tender
Vehicle Showcase
I transferred my auto insurance (Progressive) from the 16 Subaru outback to the 19 ford ranger, and I’m so surprised to find out that I’ll be paying less?? About $150 less every six months. The outback is one of the best in the crash vehicle test from NHSTA (5 stars), and IIHS awarded it as one of the top vehicles, it also has as many if not more safety features than the Ranger? None the less I am super excited that I’ll be saving some money !
The 2019 ford ranger has no posted crash test result as of today
Anyone else have the same good news?
Sponsored

JoshE

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma
I find that really interesting, as I had Progressive with a '16 Tacoma and traded for an '18 CX-5 and saw my insurance go from $1200 a year to $650 a year - almost ½. Most everyone I've talked to confirmed that truck insurance can run up to double most other vehicles, sans luxury and sports cars.

Pinecrestjim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2018 F-150, 2016 Escape
My initial estimate from GEICO without an actual VIN came in at $200 more per 6 months than the ‘04 Deville, both being classified as pleasure and not daily driver.

As a side note.... With potentially 4 cars for 2 drivers, I’m very disappointed I’m not getting some reasonable reductions on the 2 that are not daily drivers.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I transferred my auto insurance (Progressive) from the 16 Subaru outback to the 19 ford ranger, and I’m so surprised to find out that I’ll be paying less?? About $150 less every six months. The outback is one of the best in the crash vehicle test from NHSTA (5 stars), and IIHS awarded it as one of the top vehicles, it also has as many if not more safety features than the Ranger? None the less I am super excited that I’ll be saving some money !
The 2019 ford ranger has no posted crash test result as of today
Anyone else have the same good news?
You must have not ever owned a truck before, in my experience insurance for trucks is always cheaper than cars.

Also in CA all pickups are registered as commercial vehicles, not passenger vehicles, so that could affect insurance rates.

Mires

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
I've tried getting online quotes from 3 different companies and none of them even have the Ranger listed yet. I just want to know if my rate is going to go up or down. Curious to hear from more of you how much you will be paying.

OP
OP
PatrickM

PatrickM

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pmiyoshiphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
⭐ tender
Vehicle Showcase
I've tried getting online quotes from 3 different companies and none of them even have the Ranger listed yet. I just want to know if my rate is going to go up or down. Curious to hear from more of you how much you will be paying.
Yeah when I did it on online, the ranger didn’t show as an option I had to manually input it!

OP
OP
PatrickM

PatrickM

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pmiyoshiphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
⭐ tender
Vehicle Showcase
You must have not ever owned a truck before, in my experience insurance for trucks is always cheaper than cars.

Also in CA all pickups are registered as commercial vehicles, not passenger vehicles, so that could affect insurance rates.
I’ve had a few trucks but never really saw a difference unless it was old model to new model? But good point

ajvester

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
Mine went up $200 per year from my 2004 Tundra. $854 per year with the highest liability possible and a $500 comp/collision deductible (my wife’s company requires the low deductible).

To give a frame of reference, it is cheaper by $50 than my 2016 Odyssey to insure and $150 cheaper than our 14 Accord.

StAugKid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Fiesta ST
Occupation
Assistant Manager Kay Jewelers
When I did a quote with Geico to switch from my Fiesta ST to a F150 XLT last year it showed that my insurance would go down about $500 a year.

jesskewl

First Name
Jess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 dodge durango RT
My initial quotes found the Ranger to be more expensive than a F150 and 2019 Colorado. Explaination that was given to me was expensive parts to replace...Apparently even though they are both trucks they are rated differently based on damage it causes in an accident....maybe be safety too...maybe because its a brand new model....I don't know.

Last edited:

Schafies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Explorer. 2019 Ford Ranger.
I reached out for a quote with my insurance. Their system didn't recognize my VIN or even the Ranger. They called me back with a quote on an F-150 with the same value. Told me that would be ballpark $. Regarding safety items on the vehicle, I get "there is not enough statistics as to any accident reduction with all that technology, but there are statistics as to how much that stuff cost to fix". I've heard this same response insuring two new vehicles since 2014.

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I talked to AAA today for a quote, and the Ranger is not in there system yet. Even with a VIN, they could not get me a quote right now.

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
I just checked with State Farm. They didn't have the new Ranger in their system, so she had to give an estimate off the MSRP. If that holds, it will go up about $200/year, but she thinks the actual rate will be somewhat less.

toddiscdn

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X4
Wow when I called my Ins. up here they had no problem finding it, musta had a picture cause the guys said "nice looking truck".

Anywho, its Canada so its not likely to compare for most of you , but if anyone up here is curious, mine went up about 20 bucks a year from the 2012 Frontier! I was pleasantly surprised which doesn't happen often with Ins. companies.

darren

First Name
darren piper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 f150
what is everyone getting quotes on for insurance for your new ranger I have a clean record one hail claim 2 years ago they want like a 1000 for six months
Sponsored