installing wood pane inside tailgate: advice?

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL FX4 Supercab
Occupation
Healthcare
**edit. wood “panel” not “pane”..

I would like to install a quarter inch sheet of plywood onto the tailgate to protect the paint and provide a flat working space while camping.

Does anybody have some tips?

I’m assuming I can take out the screws that hold down the upper inside panel of the tailgate and use longer versions to attach the top edge. (what is that panel anyways?)

then will probably need to drive some sheet metal screws to hold the lower edge.

Is there any critical wiring it would not tolerate running a few sheet metal screws blind into that lower portion?
Sponsored

2019hotpepper4x4

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
There is info on this site about solid surface type tailgate panels that might work out better than plywood.

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
You can see inside fairly easily once you pull that panel off. All the handle mechanism is near the top, so the only thing I can think that you need to avoid would be the camera and lock wiring harness.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
Plywood will act like a sponge and absorb moisture if permanently mounted. I too would look at a solid surface option as posted above. For an inexpensive option you could use a plywood panel cut to size but maybe just set it on the tailgate while camping instead of permanently mounting it.

OP
OP
charwest

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Healthcare
There is info on this site about solid surface type tailgate panels that might work out better than plywood.
Any tips on finding those threads? My search attempts aren’t finding them.

Mark Sitter

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I would look at a 1/16" aluminum panel and mount it with 3M double sided mounting tape. If you get both surfaces clean and wax and oil free it won't be going anywhere regardless of weather and will be insulated from the factory painted surface and no screws will penetrate the finish giving a place for corrosion to start. The tape is the same that Ford uses to mount emblems and available in rolls on Amazon. You should be able to get the panel from a local metal supply house. Look for 1/16" by 1/2" tape.

2019hotpepper4x4

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
OP
OP
charwest

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Healthcare
probably could get cutting board material and make yourself for much less.
oh, snap. thats an awesome idea. i wonder if i can find some 1/4" bamboo sheet and put some deck sealer on it. i want wood because we will sit on it and metal and plastic get so dang hot. bamboo would be a far prettier possibility than the plywood i have lying around.

yes, wood will get beat up but it doesnt bother me. ill replace it when it makes sense.

Mpro2

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger xlt
**edit. wood “panel” not “pane”..

I would like to install a quarter inch sheet of plywood onto the tailgate to protect the paint and provide a flat working space while camping.

Does anybody have some tips?

I’m assuming I can take out the screws that hold down the upper inside panel of the tailgate and use longer versions to attach the top edge. (what is that panel anyways?)

then will probably need to drive some sheet metal screws to hold the lower edge.

Is there any critical wiring it would not tolerate running a few sheet metal screws blind into that lower portion?
Hers's another option, get a Bedrug tailgate protector that attaches with the supplied 3M velcro fasteners, then buy the same 3M velcro fastener for whatever solid thin board that you would like to use. That way, you could switch the two out in seconds when needed? No drilling into the tailgate required....

OP
OP
charwest

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Healthcare
and i wouldnt be so ghetto and use sheetmetal screws.

use rivnuts (threaded inserts). install them into the tailgate, they'll stay there and you can use countersunk screws with recessed washers for a flush fit. you can remove and replace them easily.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/det...VZPl2MzqArvxlSUfEmjZU846rpcU65qRoCwuYQAvD_BwE
youre right. rivnuts would be way nicer but i dont really have a final solution yet so i just used a sheet of 1/4" oak plywood and drilled it to the same pattern as the four top sheet metal screws, with a few dots of silicone at the lower panel to hold it in place.

not as sturdy, but works well for now with no modifications or additional tools.

the plywood is weak stuff and will probably be replaced every other season, but its nice and flat and comfy, even in full sun. bamboo is too expensive online, but if im driving through a place that sells it cheaper would probably upgrade in a heartbeat.

i took out the four sheet metal screws and replaced them with slightly longer same-thread bronzed countersunk screws and it looks and feels nice enough for now.

IMG_8164.JPG

the edges are routed with a 1/4" roundover bit to make it pretty and take off the edges.

tip for folks thinking about a similar project: to get the screw pilot holes lined up perfectly: back out the stock screws you are going to usen so they sit above the level, mark up the screw heads with a pencil, then lay the wood or board down on top of them and push down. this will mark the underside of the board and you know exactly where to drill matched holes.

Last edited: