First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 FX4 (RIP), 21 Tremor, 20 Edge ST, Couple HD's
Occupation
Trophy Husband / "Sanitation Worker" / Army Vet
Ive been perusing the forum and done some searches but I dont seem to see anyone talking about the offerings from Icon other than the add-a-leafs.

Is anyone out there running one of the Icon kits or part of them?? Thoughts?? Most only seem to be talking about the Ford/Fox, Bilstein, or the Eibach kits....
Sponsored

Bluestem

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger
I have the Icon stage 1 kit with front coilovers and rear shocks paired with the progressive leaf springs. It's absolutely night and day difference in ride quality over my stock fx4 setup. Maybe not as many people go this route because it's a bit more expensive than the other offerings, the coilovers are the only option I am aware of that are adjustable while still installed in the vehicle? I can't compare between all the different options, I have only driven my pickup, I'm sure there are ride quality differences in all of them, but I'm glad I went with Icon and matched all components from the same company. I haven't had any issues with anything either.

1pt21gw

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 IS XLT SC , '22 OW BBB 2Dr , '15 PB TC SWB
Occupation
Ye' Ole Traveler
I'm doing an ICON Stage 7 kit in steps. Only waiting on the Front Coilovers left, have the UCA's.

There is definitely a BIG difference between the normal upgrades you (OP) mentioned, to the 2" offerings and then the 2.5"s.

Definitely makes for a Bad Ass Ranger if you do enough ICON on it! Every change just makes it better.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
There is a fair bit of people on here running the Icon stuff. My question to you is what are you trying to go for with your truck?

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape
There was a group buy for Icon UCA not too long ago. I haven't put mine on yet

I went with King for the shocks/springs though

OP
OP
LT Dangle

LT Dangle

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
There is a fair bit of people on here running the Icon stuff. My question to you is what are you trying to go for with your truck?

so.. I definitely want to increase performance and eliminate the "wallow" effect that obviously plagues our trucks. I primarily use my Ranger as a commuter. So Im not really interested in lifting it at all (love the look but, dont want to loose mpgs) as much as id love to take it off road, i really dont have anywhere to go thats any worse than a dirt road with some muddy ruts...
That being said, I was thinking of starting with the rear and seeing how that goes. It seems that most have been very happy with that.
From what I gather the Eibachs and Bilsteins are quite stiff and the Fox are fairly soft (but stiffer than stock FX4) but I have really seen anyone talking about the Icon shocks and where they fall on the spectrum.

The 2 Im considering at the moment are the Fox 2.0-Performance and the Icon 2.0 Remote Reservoir

Last edited:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
so.. I definitely want to increase performance and eliminate the "wallow" effect that obviously plagues our trucks. I primarily use my Ranger as a commuter. So Im not really interested in lifting it at all (love the look but, dont want to loose mpgs) as much as id love to take it off road, i really dont have anywhere to go thats any worse than a dirt road with some muddy ruts...
That being said, I was thinking of starting with the rear and seeing how that goes. It seems that most have been very happy with that.
From what I gather the Eibachs and Bilsteins are quite stiff and the Fox are fairly soft (but stiffer than stock FX4) but I have really seen anyone talking about the Icon shocks and where they fall on the spectrum.

The 2 Im considering at the moment are the Fox 2.0 Performance and the Icon 2.0 RR
With that said it may be in your best intrest to stay with Bilstein or Eibach. You can get them at a much lower cost compared to Fox and Icon and you can keep the same height without having to do to much adjustment up front(if any). If you go with a leveling kit(Fox and Icon are in that category) you will loose the MPG that you want to keep. Mind you when I installed the Old Man EMU lift kit I didn't suffer on MPG like others on here that installed Leveling kits.

YaBoiNewton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT supercrew Sport FX4, 2008 Bullitt w Saleen Supercharger
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
They're a premium performance shock that are designed for high speed, off-road applications. Vehicle response to imperfections, bumps, whoops, etc. at speed will be phenomenal, but your suspension will feel over-damped (stiff) in normal driving conditions. You pay dearly for all that performance as they cost significantly more than the competition. People that buy Icons tend to REALLY like them.

One thing to remember when looking at shocks: Even the cheaper options are still premium upgrades. You'll be very happy with anything from Bilstein, eibach, OME, Fox, or Icon. I have the Fox 2.0 leveling kit and I find it very comfortable on daily commutes and off-road bump compliance is fantastic. I hit a bump at speed, the truck bounces once and settles.

Gonna go ahead and contradict previous posts in this thread - leveling your truck alone does not kill your gas mileage. My truck's fuel consumption did not change after adding the leveling kit. It looks sick, drives over bumps smoothly, and gets solid mpgs for a pickup.

RangerPNW

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Project Manager

The 2 Im considering at the moment are the Fox 2.0 Performance and the Icon 2.0 RR
Based on the reviews i've seen, the Icon kit is more tailored towards the high speed off-roading. The valving works better when you're really going for it, but may be too stiff on the slower stuff. I've been nothing but thrilled with my Fox 2.0 kit. I think you'll be happy with just about any shock offering though, i did the rears first and it totally fixed the wallowing. If you're not going hard off-road, I think the Bilstein 5100 kit might be your best option. Easier to set at factory ride height, and overall considerably cheaper than the Fox, Icon, or Eibach kits.

1pt21gw

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ye' Ole Traveler
The Mono leaf spring is really the problem, if you are wanting to change the ride to soft.

Any aftermarket offering will do if you are after a quick fix for the "Ranger Jive". I did the Bilstein 5160's within first two weeks. Helped the control, but did not help the jarring of the Mono Leaf.

Check out here: https://www.stage3motorsports.com/2019-2022-ford-ranger-rear-shocks.html. You might see if Frank @Stage3Motorsports can help you decide with a pricing option. Be careful though, some are pairs, and some are singles.

If you are after just shocks for the rear, it is probably name brand and $ that will be the biggest factor. I have never been a Fox fan, so of the two... I would choose the ICON's https://www.stage3motorsports.com/96519-19-22-ranger-icon-rear-2-0-aluminum-shock.html or the ones with Resi's or even the Bilstein 5160's (again).

1pt21gw

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ye' Ole Traveler
On a side note, every time I read the title of this thread, I think of this.

Yeah I grew up in the Greatest Cartoon Era EVER!

iu.jpeg

Bluestem

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger
i would agree with the mono leaf spring in the rear being the biggest issue. I drove with new shocks for a while before adding the progressive leaf pack and that definitely made the bigger difference. I will also agree with several saying that leveling the front had a very minimal impact on mpgs.

OP
OP
LT Dangle

LT Dangle

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
so, im leaning towards these for the rear:
https://www.stage3motorsports.com/985-24-207-2-19-22-ranger-fox-2-ifp-performance-rear-shocks.html

https://www.iconvehicledynamics.com...-accessories-19-up-ranger-0-15-rear-20-vs-rr/

-im curious if a difference can actually be felt between the two.

-for the most part, price is not my biggest concern. im more concerned with ride quality.

-duly noted about the leafs though. I wasnt really considering changing them but it sounds like i might add that to the list.

- as far as the fronts go, the reason im going with fox & icon is that , its my understanding the height can be adjusted without removal which, obviously, sounds beneficial. the curious thing is that they (the front coilsprings) are significantly different in price but I dont see significant difference in the descriptions..... curious...

1pt21gw

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ye' Ole Traveler
The shock subject has been so beat to death on this forum, you can get lost in it. I am not sure if anyone has actually done both of the shocks you are looking at to give you a fair comparison.

You could do both, 500 miles on each and then sell off the ones that do not make the grade to someone who could use them.

Whichever you choose, I would stay with that Brand through out, so if you have thoughts of doing other parts, it is stays in the family. Better cohesiveness.
Sponsored