Icon 2.5 Extended Travel VS King 2.5 OEM Extended Travel

daniel3507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I keep changing my mind about suspension. Originally I was looking at OME. Now I'm looking at Icon 2.5 and King 2.5. Whatever I go with will be paired with an Icon tubular upper control arm. The Icon Kit says it provides 35% more travel. The King kit says it provides 3" additional travel. Both of those seem like good numbers but I can' t tell which would actually provide more travel. I know the reservoir with the King is an improvement over the Icon so I guess I'm leaning towards King? Its only a couple hundred more dollars than the Icon. Although I want better performance off road, on road performance is probably more important. My wife already complains the truck rocks like crazy and rides rough so I would like to eliminate complaining roughness and rocking. How do they both ride on pavement?
Sponsored

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Kings will most definitely give you what you want but... Think your wife’s teeth will chatter afterwards from stiffness! Not sure how much adjustment you get in valving them a bit softer though.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
Kings are about a year backlogged on orders. Where are you getting King stuff?

wilsoN_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor 2022 Kawasaki ZX-14R
Occupation
Logistics

StezenW

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Magnetic; 1998 Ford Ranger XLT 5-Speed Emerald
Vehicle Showcase
KANGS ALL DAY BABY!

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I choose the Fox DSC over the King they're better is every metric, better shaft material, seals, dual speed compression vs single... https://accutuneoffroad.com/fox-vs-king-oem-coilovers/
Actually after reading this article my opinion of both shocks is different now. I didn’t realize the Fox shocks had a shaft that hard. That’s good for more than one reason but wear and damage is high on the list for long life. The other is adjustments. Fox has 2 And the King only one. For tuning them it’s obvious the Fox will win out there. Price wise, yes Fox is more but you definitely get what you pay for.

wilsoN_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor 2022 Kawasaki ZX-14R
Occupation
Logistics
Pretty interesting link there @wilsoN_ . I wonder if those specs are similar on all the other Fox options? I don't think I can bring myself to pay the price for the adjustable Fox
I had electronic adjustable Bilstein on my Durango SRT and even having manual adjustment is far better than none at all. I don't think I'd ever not have adjustability after knowing how awesome it is... The adjustment range is very broad. It's also really nice if I tow a trailer for instance my brothers 7200lb 24" V-nose car trailer that has quite a bit of tongue weight I can turn the dampening to max and really keep the rear in check and then turn it down for daily driving.

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
So I installed the icon 2.5" extended travel coilovers with cdcv and boy are they such an improvement. So good that I just ordered the rear 2.5 piggybacks with cdcv about an hour ago.
PXL_20210422_221002625.MP.jpg

So I initially had put 5100s which had a longer travel, but rode about the same. Well these icons have a more responsive feel. I currently have them at setting 4, which is the setting they come at without cdcv, and it feels amazing. There is a dip in the road that I would always get my tires in the air going passed 20 mph, I now hit it at 30 mph and the tires contact the ground the whole time. I do have a longer lower a arm too. I personally drive sporty everywhere, but with my wife I drive slower so I turn down the compression when she's in the truck and it is soft.

Just my review.

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I picked up some king 2.5s 3 weeks ago from sport compact warehouse they were at my door in a week
No.freaking.way.im.like.totally.freaking.out.right.now lol
Dang that's cool man the reason I went with icon was because of the whole king backlog. Good for you, I hope they are a great improvement to your truck.

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I keep changing my mind about suspension. Originally I was looking at OME. Now I'm looking at Icon 2.5 and King 2.5. Whatever I go with will be paired with an Icon tubular upper control arm. The Icon Kit says it provides 35% more travel. The King kit says it provides 3" additional travel. Both of those seem like good numbers but I can' t tell which would actually provide more travel. I know the reservoir with the King is an improvement over the Icon so I guess I'm leaning towards King? Its only a couple hundred more dollars than the Icon. Although I want better performance off road, on road performance is probably more important. My wife already complains the truck rocks like crazy and rides rough so I would like to eliminate complaining roughness and rocking. How do they both ride on pavement?
Have you changed the rear shocks? My rocking was eliminated by that. I also don't have a front sway bar so there is no rocking from that either.

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pretty interesting link there @wilsoN_ . I wonder if those specs are similar on all the other Fox options? I don't think I can bring myself to pay the price for the adjustable Fox
Just to keep in mind since your initial question was asking about travel. The icons have a stroke length of 5.25" whereas the fox dsc shocks have a stroke length of 3.98" I measured my stock non 4x4 front struts to have a stroke length of 4.25". Idk how long the stroke length is on the Kings but shoot if it says 3 more inches than stock that would be 7.25"

Screenshot_20210422-175957.png