I used Trail Control today...in Traffic!

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
So stuck in slow rainy LA traffic today, I really wish I could use cruise in traffic, as I have wanted to do for....oh ever since I started driving. But as most of us know cruise doesn't work under 20mph:crying:

So today in traffic I decided to try turning on trail control at 10mph on the freeway...and it totally worked.:clap:

I don't have the active cruise, so not sure what speed that works at.
Sponsored

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
So stuck in slow rainy LA traffic today, I really wish I could use cruise in traffic, as I have wanted to do for....oh ever since I started driving. But as most of us know cruise doesn't work under 20mph:crying:

So today in traffic I decided to try turning on trail control at 10mph on the freeway...and it totally worked.:clap:

I don't have the active cruise, so not sure what speed that works at.
In 2H or 4H?

From page 176 of the Owner's Manual:
PRINCIPLE OF OPERATION

Cruise control lets you maintain a set speed without keeping your foot on the accelerator pedal. You can use cruise control when your vehicle speed is greater than 20 mph (30 km/h).

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I did the same thing in Detroit traffic. It works in 2WD, now if I could just get it to be adaptive, we'd have something. (FYI, it is not adaptive)

I wish that the terrain management worked in 2WD as well, I can definitely see a need for different throttle maps it provides even without 4x4.

Adaptive Cruise will not set until 25mph, and it shuts off with a chime somewhere around 10-15mph.

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
Can you describe to me how you used it to make traffic more tolerable? Was trying to figure that out on my test. Did you just leave your feet in the floor and accelerate/decelerate with the Set buttons? On my test drive when I tapped the brakes it reduced the set speed so I had to manually increase it again. Did you ever get to the part where AEB stopped the truck automatically?

OP
OP
Stic-o

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Can you describe to me how you used it to make traffic more tolerable? Was trying to figure that out on my test. Did you just leave your feet in the floor and accelerate/decelerate with the Set buttons? On my test drive when I tapped the brakes it reduced the set speed so I had to manually increase it again. Did you ever get to the part where AEB stopped the truck automatically?
Just use the buttons on the steering wheel. The only time I've ever had AEB kick in so far was in a panic stop on the highway, and the truck wanted to stop before I did. I like to make sure I give the guy behind me room too.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I noticed today that it holds 1st gear well up into the 5K rpm range, too high for my liking.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My terrain management button turns on 4x4. TM (Terrain Management) and TC (Trail Control) are two different things.

TC is low speed cruise control and it doesn't care which axles are driving. TM is tied to the 4x4 mode and will engage 4H when a mode is selected.

OP
OP
Stic-o

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I noticed today that it holds 1st gear well up into the 5K rpm range, too high for my liking.
This trans has a very tall 1st gear which has a lot of advantages towing and off road.

You can always up shift manually with the button.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Note to marketing: You can put on your makeup in rush hour traffic with trail control.:clap:
Sponsored