Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
Spent a day up to Baxter State Park hiking the Traverlers Loop. Spent the next two days recovering. Spent those two days driving around North Maine Woods on the logging roads in the Allagash Wilderness area. The logging companies own the roads, recreational users pay a fee to access and camp in the area that's open to hunting, fishing and camping. All logging trucks have the right of way. Its required that you pull over to let them pass and wait for the dust to clear.

IMG_20200810_095852.jpg

IMG_20200810_095928.jpg

IMG_20200810_101538.jpg

IMG_20200809_171905.jpg

IMG_20200809_171916.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Nice pictures, the area up there is really nice. We use to rent a cabin up on Eagle Lake every winter and snowmobile all over from Eagle Lake to Fort Kent. The ITS trail system are some of the best trails I've ever rode and even in the winter you have to watch out for the logging trucks....and the moose! It's really wakes you up coming around a corner and having a 1000 lb moose in the trail.. lol

Once the lake freezes they will plow a section from one side to the other so people can drive across it and not have to travel all around it. We would use it for drag racing our sleds and high speed runs. ? I miss going up there but not the frigid temps, average morning temps were -20 with single digit days! Back then (early 2000's) everything was still 2 stroke so getting them started every morning was not fun.

OP
OP
egilbe

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nice pictures, the area up there is really nice. We use to rent a cabin up on Eagle Lake every winter and snowmobile all over from Eagle Lake to Fort Kent. The ITS trail system are some of the best trails I've ever rode and even in the winter you have to watch out for the logging trucks....and the moose! It's really wakes you up coming around a corner and having a 1000 lb moose in the trail.. lol

Once the lake freezes they will plow a section from one side to the other so people can drive across it and not have to travel all around it. We would use it for drag racing our sleds and high speed runs. ? I miss going up there but not the frigid temps, average morning temps were -20 with single digit days! Back then (early 2000's) everything was still 2 stroke so getting them started every morning was not fun.
Its the first time I've been in this area of Maine since I was 4 years old, not that I remember much from back then. All my snowmobiling was done in Western Maine. That came to a screeching halt after the Ice Storm of '98, sold my sleds, got divorced, never made it up there. My brother is constantly snowmobiling from his house to Quebec and New Brunswick. He says he can put 300 miles on in a day, but he's exhausted. I miss snowmobiling. It was the only motorsport I really got into.

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
Wow, I saw a random youtube video on this place just the other week. They went to see the trains. Would be nice if they could be restored. :D

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Its the first time I've been in this area of Maine since I was 4 years old, not that I remember much from back then. All my snowmobiling was done in Western Maine. That came to a screeching halt after the Ice Storm of '98, sold my sleds, got divorced, never made it up there. My brother is constantly snowmobiling from his house to Quebec and New Brunswick. He says he can put 300 miles on in a day, but he's exhausted. I miss snowmobiling. It was the only motorsport I really got into.

I miss it too but not the cold weather. On one of our trips I had the bright idea to go from Eagle Lake to Moosehead Lake by trail. It seemed fun at first but if IIRC it was 260 miles and we were spent by the time we got there. Stayed overnight and had to ride all the way back to Eagle Lake the next morning. To this day I still catch hell for that one. lol

We did Canada a few times up in St Donet and St Zenon area. Great area up there too but you have to be careful everywhere you go because they will steal your sleds, truck and trailer. Most hotels have gated/guards parking areas just for snowmobiles.

OP
OP
egilbe

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wow, I saw a random youtube video on this place just the other week. They went to see the trains. Would be nice if they could be restored. :D
They are pretty well gone to rust. They've been torched by the USFS, vandalized, robbed for souvenirs. Not really much left to them. You can google the story about them

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Snowmobiling isn't just fun, its a way of life.

Around here the marked sled trails are on a lot of private property, and you get to go places and see things that people only dream about on their sxs or atvs.
Sponsored