First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford ranger xlt
Occupation
Road maintenance county
Changed the oil at 4127 miles,because the level was already coming up and smelled like gas,put 6 qts in it which put it a hair below the top of the hash mark on dip stick,now at 1052 on the fresh oil it’s right at the top hole is which is the maximum oil level!
so sad for such a nice riding pickup
Sponsored

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
I am keeping an eye on mine, it was a hair below the top hole when new, now at 1000 miles it is still in the same spot. I will keep an eye on it and change the oil at 3K and get it tested. I have a slight gas smell but as the level hasn't changed, and everything else is spot on perfect I am not to worried.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Just did my second oil change @ 6k on my '21. Put 6qts in on the last change and pulled just a tad over 6qts out. I'm not sweating it, but I did go back to Mobil1. Castrol full synthetic was giving me a slight rattle @ about 3.5k RPMs.

Side note: My 2019 also lost the gas smell around 9k miles which is also when I switched to Mobil1 Extended Protection. Could be coincidence, could be timing. Could be that I worried too much about something that had no real impact on the truck at all...

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Ford apparently doesn't talk about this much but they are assuredly aware of it.

Take it to the dealer and have them confirm.

My truck had the fuel in oil issue.

They changed oil and filter and then scribed the dipstick.

I drove it 1000 miles and brought it back.

They confirmed that the oil level was rising.

They did some impressively thorough testing and found that my HPFP was leaking.

HPFP replaced at ~4200 miles and the oil level has not risen again.

OP
OP

Josebd

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford ranger xlt
Occupation
Road maintenance county
I do use Mobil one advanced full synthetic oil,I’m waiting on the dealer to get back to me where I bought it,if they don’t want to address it then I’ll trade it in on something else

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
I do use Mobil one advanced full synthetic oil,I’m waiting on the dealer to get back to me where I bought it,if they don’t want to address it then I’ll trade it in on something else
Not saying this is the problem, but if I recall, only Mobil1 Extended Protection and Annual Protection(?) fulfill the spec laid out by Ford.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Changed the oil at 4127 miles,because the level was already coming up and smelled like gas,put 6 qts in it which put it a hair below the top of the hash mark on dip stick,now at 1052 on the fresh oil it’s right at the top hole is which is the maximum oil level!
to the full mark is 6qts and a cup.
Just curious ...
Is your truck stock?
Is parked outside?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
So just having it move just a hair(especially if you didnt drive it before checking it the second time) then it is considered normal. How you ask? Well the oil has to take time to settle. Thats why. Now that doesnt mean dont have the dealer look at it as it is well worth checking. As for trading it in without giving ford a chance to look into the issue and resolve it is simply a bit extreme on your part. Give Fors a chance. If they become a problem then you can justify trading in or going to a different dealer.

docarter

First Name
Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac ATS; Ford Ranger
Occupation
ADA
This is absurd.

Gas cannot and will not dilute the oil in any meaningful amount. The heat would immediately turn the gas into vapors which would get burned off by the PCV system.

If you really believe there's gas in the oil you are a moron, sorry. Get the oil tested by Blackstone or another laboratory.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
This is absurd.

Gas cannot and will not dilute the oil in any meaningful amount. The heat would immediately turn the gas into vapors which would get burned off by the PCV system.

If you really believe there's gas in the oil you are a moron, sorry. Get the oil tested by Blackstone or another laboratory.
Rather harsh there friend, there are multiple Blackstone reports on here with gas dilution.(and in a meaningful amount)

docarter

First Name
Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac ATS; Ford Ranger
Occupation
ADA
Rather harsh there friend, there are multiple Blackstone reports on here with gas dilution.
The 2.3L is in what, maybe 500k vehicles now and there are no class action lawsuits or other TSBs for fuel dilution?

The nature of gasoline is that it is barely a liquid at room temp, at the 150-200F that oil reaches, it would instantly vaporize. The PCV then routes that vapor into the intake where it is burned. It's really simple if you understand how the compounds act.

Maybe I was too harsh, but absent a leak in the HPFP casing which could then send gas straight into the block as was stated above, or faulty injectors, no way oil dilution is occurring.

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
The 2.3L is in what, maybe 500k vehicles now and there are no class action lawsuits or other TSBs for fuel dilution?

The nature of gasoline is that it is barely a liquid at room temp, at the 150-200F that oil reaches, it would instantly vaporize. The PCV then routes that vapor into the intake where it is burned. It's really simple if you understand how the compounds act.

Maybe I was too harsh, but absent a leak in the HPFP casing which could then send gas straight into the block as was stated above, or faulty injectors, no way oil dilution is occurring.
Before calling him a moron, take into account that it could indeed be faulty injectors or the casing.

Don't call people morons then proceed to open holes in your condemnation.

OP
OP

Josebd

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford ranger xlt
Occupation
Road maintenance county
So just having it move just a hair(especially if you didnt drive it before checking it the second time) then it is considered normal. How you ask? Well the oil has to take time to settle. Thats why. Now that doesnt mean dont have the dealer look at it as it is well worth checking. As for trading it in without giving ford a chance to look into the issue and resolve it is simply a bit extreme on your part. Give Fors a chance. If they become a problem then you can justify trading in or going to a different dealer.
It did more than just move a hair,it moved from the hash mark to the maximum level in 1052 miles!

OP
OP

Josebd

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford ranger xlt
Occupation
Road maintenance county
Stop touching your dipstick and just drive the thing :LOL:
So another 1000 miles it’s going to be way past maximum level on the dipstick,that’s normal?
Sponsored