Hyundai, sister firm Kia warn owners of 568,000 cars to park them OUTSIDE over fears tow hitch could catch fire, as they recall Santa Fe, Santa Cruz

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Looks like there are others with spontaneous combustion issues!

Hyundai and Kia are recalling more than 568,000 cars over fears that a tow hitch harness could catch fire.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration warned that the fire could be caused because of a short circuit.

Car owners are being urged to park their vehicles outside and away from structures until the remedy is completed.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-park-OUTSIDE-fears-tow-hitch-catch-fire.html
Sponsored

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Looks like there are others with spontaneous combustion issues!

Hyundai and Kia are recalling more than 568,000 cars over fears that a tow hitch harness could catch fire.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration warned that the fire could be caused because of a short circuit.

Car owners are being urged to park their vehicles outside and away from structures until the remedy is completed.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-park-OUTSIDE-fears-tow-hitch-catch-fire.html
last year they recalled ~500 k because of abs module fire concern, I believe they also lead the way in actual vehicle fires.

LaBalbe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
I love how they specify "...away from structures." So, parking under a tree is fine, because there's just NO CHANCE that a tree could EVER catch fire!

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I love how they specify "...away from structures." So, parking under a tree is fine, because there's just NO CHANCE that a tree could EVER catch fire!
Well better a tree than next to your EV - we all know how that would turn out:shock:

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
Well better a tree than next to your EV - we all know how that would turn out:shock:
That would be a BOGOIFF....burn one, get one incinerated for free ?

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Better, but not great. Next we'll have California banning tow hitch harnesses because "they're known to start wildfires".
Simpler to just ban Hyundai/KIAs , I own one and it's been ok but has the infamous seizure prone Theta II engine - some of which did burst into flames when they threw a rod thru the block after the crank bearing seized.

LaBalbe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Simpler to just ban Hyundai/KIAs , I own one and it's been ok but has the infamous seizure prone Theta II engine - some of which did burst into flames when they threw a rod thru the block after the crank bearing seized.
While I agree that would be the simpler option, I can see politicians opting to ban the harness from everyone for fear of being deemed racist towards Koreans. It's easier to inconvenience everyone in the name of inclusivity than risk offending someone.

My sister has a 2017 Santa Fe, which has been good to her, so I don't have anything in particular against either brand. I'm just happy that hers pre-dates the recall timeframe.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
These are the same cars (Hyundai and Kia) in the news for being easy to steal. It's a pretty funny story, thugs are running wild stealing cars so the leftists' response is to go after...the cars for being able to be stolen. Maybe after a one of these future dentist/doctor/space explorers steals one of these cars it will catch on fire and roast him. A man can dream.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
These are the same cars (Hyundai and Kia) in the news for being easy to steal. It's a pretty funny story, thugs are running wild stealing cars so the leftists' response is to go after...the cars for being able to be stolen. Maybe after a one of these future dentist/doctor/space explorers steals one of these cars it will catch on fire and roast him. A man can dream.
This case made national news and it involved an Audi and a 12 yr old car thief who was shot to death by the Audi owner, the family is petitioning for anti-vigilante legislation. I find it interesting because I've seen a lot of news coverage of car thefts and victims who call the police and complain that the police show up later only to collect information for their report

https://www.denver7.com/news/front-...-charges-against-vehicle-owner-who-killed-him

And in Maryland there are even younger car thieves :

"With a little hands-on instruction, these skills can be acquired at an early age. The peak ages for auto-theft arrest in the state are 15 and 16. Ten children aged 9 and under were caught stealing cars last year; police occasionally catch a thief sitting on telephone books to see over the dashboard."
Sponsored