First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x2 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
All -

I'm looking for a solution on how I can store some smaller things in the bed when we go out. This could be for hiking, dog stuff, extra coats, etc.... I have my first aid, flashlight and stuff under the rear seat storage. I was thinking of the swing out tool box - but it looks like I would have to do some modification to my drop in bed liner.

thank you
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
All -

I'm looking for a solution on how I can store some smaller things in the bed when we go out. This could be for hiking, dog stuff, extra coats, etc.... I have my first aid, flashlight and stuff under the rear seat storage. I was thinking of the swing out tool box - but it looks like I would have to do some modification to my drop in bed liner.

thank you
I just use those plastic totes for bringing along stuff that I don't want rolling all over the bed of the truck. They come in all different sizes and depths so they're very versatile. We're going out to the desert shooting today and I have a couple that I bring which hold my target brackets,chains and spare parts and another for boxes of ammo and a tool bag. I also have a rubber bed mat so they don't slide all over back there.

OP
OP
John Lyman

John Lyman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x2 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
I just use those plastic totes for bringing along stuff that I don't want rolling all over the bed of the truck. They come in all different sizes and depths so they're very versatile. We're going out to the desert shooting today and I have a couple that I bring which hold my target brackets,chains and spare parts and another for boxes of ammo and a tool bag. I also have a rubber bed mat so they don't slide all over back there.
Enjoy your time in the desert

Deleted member 1634

I've been trying to figure out the same thing. We currently have a bed bag from Truxedo (same as the one sold from Ford accessories) that works pretty well with a tonneau cover. But now that we're going to upgrade to a topper, that bag won't be as accessible and will get more in the way. I'm kind of leaning in the direction of any combination of a saddle type box, some storage pocket things, and/or the swing out boxes. Also considered a Decked drawer system, which would be an amazing way to store and organize things, but it's expensive and takes up a lot of room.

Zanardi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Saber 4x4 Sport
I put a standard ratcheting cargo bar (about $25 - $30 at my local farm store) low across my bed about two feet or so in from my tail gate. Like Az Scorpion I then just placed a fairly large typical plastic storage bin with a lid in front of the bar. Now I can use my bed like the trunk of a car. Smaller items and such I just toss in the bin. Bulkier items and packages can be set on the floor in front of the bar. The bar keeps the bin and items from sliding way up toward the cab. My Line-ex liner does a good job of keeping items sliding side to side. So far the system works great. If I need my bed the bar pops right out.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 screw xlt fx4
I just took one of these https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-45-Gal-Latch-and-Stack-Tote-with-Wheels-in-Black-206133/303099671
and added tie down points https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Light-Duty-Anchor-Points-4-Pack-54522/206967313

then I took the idea that someone else posted where you run a chain between the two tie down points in the bed to create more, but I used a pair of tree straps for a hammock, because I had em on hand, so I have a series of loops running along each side of the bed to clip into.

That tote fits under a tonneau, and has a wheeled side so it's easy to cart to/from the truck. It's great for groceries.

Rene Michaels

First Name
SOLD IT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Supercrew 4X2 5' Box Lariat
I put a standard ratcheting cargo bar (about $25 - $30 at my local farm store) low across my bed about two feet or so in from my tail gate. Like Az Scorpion I then just placed a fairly large typical plastic storage bin with a lid in front of the bar. Now I can use my bed like the trunk of a car. Smaller items and such I just toss in the bin. Bulkier items and packages can be set on the floor in front of the bar. The bar keeps the bin and items from sliding way up toward the cab. My Line-ex liner does a good job of keeping items sliding side to side. So far the system works great. If I need my bed the bar pops right out.
I worry about the ratcheting cargo bars because they need pressure to work well. That's a lot of outward pressure on the bed walls and seems like a good way to bend up your bed, no?

Rene Michaels

First Name
SOLD IT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Rene Michaels

First Name
SOLD IT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just use the plastic totes and a bed rug. The bed rug is amazing for keeping things from sliding around.
Which bed rug do you have?

Sabasigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4; 2016 Corvette Stingray
I worry about the ratcheting cargo bars because they need pressure to work well. That's a lot of outward pressure on the bed walls and seems like a good way to bend up your bed, no?
I got a ratchet bar and pretty sure it would take super strength to exert enough force to even make any difference.
Sponsored