how to get new keys made if you don't have a key code that supposedly comes with the keys when new.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Found this is the 2019 Ranger service manual.
Process is exactly what I tried and others have tried and succeeded.
Maybe some have customer spare key programming enabled. and I do not.
Service Manual said:
Key Programming Using Two Programmed Keys
NOTE: A maximum of 8 ignition keys can be programmed to a vehicle equipped with a passive antitheft system (PATS).
1. NOTE: This procedure works only if 2 or more programmed keys are available.
2. NOTE: This procedure only works if the customer spare key programming is enabled.

3. Insert the first programmed passive anti-theft system (PATS) key into the ignition and turn the
key from the OFF position to the ON position (maintain the key in the ON position for
approximately 3 seconds).

4. Turn the first key to the OFF position and remove the key from the ignition.

5. Within 10 seconds of turning the key to the OFF position, insert a second programmed passive
anti-theft system (PATS) key into the ignition and turn the key from the OFF position to the ON
position (maintain the key in the ON position for approximately 3 seconds).

6. Turn the second key to the OFF position and remove the key from the ignition.
7. Within 10 seconds of turning the second key to the OFF position, insert the new,
unprogrammed passive anti-theft system (PATS) key into the ignition and turn the key from the
OFF position to the ON position (maintain the key in the ON position for approximately 6
seconds).

8. Turn the new key to the OFF position and remove the key from the ignition.

9. If it is desired to program additional keys, repeat steps 3 - 9 for each additional key.
Sponsored

dapakattack

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4
Found this is the 2019 Ranger service manual.
Process is exactly what I tried and others have tried and succeeded.
Maybe some have customer spare key programming enabled. and I do not.
Are you going to go to your dealer and have it enabled?

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Are you going to go to your dealer and have it enabled?
I assume they will charge me $100, so no.
I have 1 more Key to program, I may ask my locksmith if he can check if its enabled or disabled and if he can enable it.
Was also going to go into to ForScan and see if its even listed

I also noticed that the guys that could use the 2 key method are 2020 and 2021, Mine is 2019, so maybe a change Ford made after 2019

JohnDLG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL Supercrew FX4
Update!!!! Success!!! Got the key fob off Amazon for 40$. Got a chip key off Amazon as well for 20$. Had my local locksmith who laser cuts, cut the keys to match original. Then I programmed using my ignition!!!! Mine is a 2021. I put the first original in ignition till the airbag light went off, inserted next original and waited same then inserted new fob. Success! Message comes up saying key programming successful. I then used my new fob I just programmed to program the new chip key that doesn't have a fob. Same way. Worked!!! So u don't need both original keys. In fact, as long as u have two, u r golden. Ford wanted 250$ for just a fob lolol. My guy wanted 10$. Total. He even did my girlfriends fob and made a key to just open doors as she only has one key and the car wasn't there. I gave him 40$ for all of it.
Thanks, I order a fobless key from carkeys express a while back. I just got around to having it cut but didn't want to pay the extra expense to have it programmed. I was really just needing a dumb key to lock and unlock the doors, but since programing this way was free I can't argue with that.

https://carkeysexpress.com/store/ke...er/2020/1005565-ford-transponder-key-newuncut

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
So after having six admin keys, trying to program a seventh, I get "max number of keys learned ". So I am guessing six is the max or maybe one needs to be made into a mkey first. I dunno. Any ideas?

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
I've seen a lot of posts about how-to program using 2-keys. But what about if I just have one key? I'm not the kind of person that would ever loose something. But I can't find my second key/ the metal key code on it anywhere. It can't come at a worse time since I'm trying to sell it and I know the buyer will want a second key. Is there a way for myself to get a second key programed? I have the keyless entry/push button fob. Is there a part number someone has for a blank? I also have Forscan if it can be done through that. Thanks.

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
My fiance bought a used ford car with only one key. She had to drive the car to our locksmith who then programmed a key she bought off of Amazon. The key was like 30$. The guy charged 10$ to cut the key and program. Most don't so that that cheaply. Most will try to charge you 200$ for a 10 minute job because they can. So sad how greedy people have become.
Call around a find an honest locksmith who will cut and program it for you. Mobile ones are usually sky high. Find one with a workshop. Get the key off Amazon. Good luck.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
My fiance bought a used ford car with only one key. She had to drive the car to our locksmith who then programmed a key she bought off of Amazon. The key was like 30$. The guy charged 10$ to cut the key and program. Most don't so that that cheaply. Most will try to charge you 200$ for a 10 minute job because they can. So sad how greedy people have become.
Call around a find an honest locksmith who will cut and program it for you. Mobile ones are usually sky high. Find one with a workshop. Get the key off Amazon. Good luck.
X2
Take some time to call around - can save you at least $100. There is bound to be one reasonable locksmith in your area. I had to drive 20-30 minutes, but the $$ difference was $40 vs $140 at the local guy close to me.

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone recommend a keybob from amazon or anywhere else that is compatable with the keyless entry and push button start?

Sanctus Rimor

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RMT Ranger
So after having six admin keys, trying to program a seventh, I get "max number of keys learned ". So I am guessing six is the max or maybe one needs to be made into a mkey first. I dunno. Any ideas?

Key Programming Using Two Programmed Keys
NOTE: A maximum of 8 ignition keys can be programmed ...

Guessing that the two originals count as part of the 8, so, two original + 6 additional = the max of 8.

Ineed to get an additional key, or at least a dummy key that cna unlock the truck. Had a bit of a "lost key" scare after getting back to my truck after some seriously remote mountain biking.
Sponsored