how to get new keys made if you don't have a key code that supposedly comes with the keys when new.

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
Unaware of any such law. It must be a state law, and Maine is like the Wild West of the East. ?

I've been a locksmith since 1999. We cut keys by code upon request without any requirements unless it is a restricted key.

A key cut to code would still not start our trucks (or any modern vehicle). The key still needs to be programmed, and that requires plugging into the ODBII with a programmer.

The 48 bit code the transponder uses for communication has magnitudes more possibilities for uniqueness than the physical cuts of the key. Somewhere out there every key has a doppelganger with a different code but the same cuts. It might be for a focus or an explorer, lots of Ford's use this same key blade and cut specifications for many models over many years, even if the heads/remote parts are different.

Any decent automotive locksmith can pick and decode a door lock with a Lishi decoder, or take a door panel off to remove a door lock to decode. They do not need the key code at all. Often, starting from scratch, the automotive locksmith can make you working keys faster and for less $$$ than the stealer when you lose your keys.

The dealership here hires a locksmith to come once a week to make duplicates and replacement keys. The dealer receives a bulk discount and does NOT pass it along ?.
But in our case, new rangers, u can program the spare fobs and keys yourself with the ignition if you have two working chipped keys already.
Sponsored

parkranger

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX super crew
Occupation
Locksmith
But in our case, new rangers, u can program the spare fobs and keys yourself with the ignition if you have two working chipped keys already.
Yes that may be but, I already had one key taken and not given back. I had my locksmith buddy who specializes in automotive come cut and program a new one and delete the missing key. Our shop doesn't work on vehicles... I think Forscan can also be used to program keys.

Sparky2

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired electrician
Update!!!! Success!!! Got the key fob off Amazon for 40$. Got a chip key off Amazon as well for 20$. Had my local locksmith who laser cuts, cut the keys to match original. Then I programmed using my ignition!!!! Mine is a 2021. I put the first original in ignition till the airbag light went off, inserted next original and waited same then inserted new fob. Success! Message comes up saying key programming successful. I then used my new fob I just programmed to program the new chip key that doesn't have a fob. Same way. Worked!!! So u don't need both original keys. In fact, as long as u have two, u r golden. Ford wanted 250$ for just a fob lolol. My guy wanted 10$. Total. He even did my girlfriends fob and made a key to just open doors as she only has one key and the car wasn't there. I gave him 40$ for all of it.
I read somewhere that there is a limit on the number of active keys a automobile can program and it seems like the number was 3. If so then I’d be at the limit since I have 2 factory keys and a factory keypad. Anyone know if that’s true?

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
I read somewhere that there is a limit on the number of active keys a automobile can program and it seems like the number was 3. If so then I’d be at the limit since I have 2 factory keys and a factory keypad. Anyone know if that’s true?
My locksmith seemed to think it was 8. I have 4.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Update!!!! Success!!! Got the key fob off Amazon for 40$. Got a chip key off Amazon as well for 20$. Had my local locksmith who laser cuts, cut the keys to match original. Then I programmed using my ignition!!!! Mine is a 2021. I put the first original in ignition till the airbag light went off, inserted next original and waited same then inserted new fob. Success! Message comes up saying key programming successful. I then used my new fob I just programmed to program the new chip key that doesn't have a fob. Same way. Worked!!! So u don't need both original keys. In fact, as long as u have two, u r golden. Ford wanted 250$ for just a fob lolol. My guy wanted 10$. Total. He even did my girlfriends fob and made a key to just open doors as she only has one key and the car wasn't there. I gave him 40$ for all of it.
Hey Bill - a little help!
OK probably just in too much of a hurry, but I cannot get it to program. Tried this
  1. Insert 1st Key. Turn to ON(RUN), wait for airbag light to turn off and remove
  2. Insert 2nd Key. Turn to ON(RUN), wait for airbag light to turn off and remove
  3. Insert NEW Key. Turn to ON(RUN), wait for ???
I never got the message saying key programming successful. ?

Also tried instructions that came with the key which was wait 3-10 sec for steps 1 and 2. Swap keys within 10 seconds.
New key for at least 6 sec then back to off

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
Hey Bill - a little help!
OK probably just in too much of a hurry, but I cannot get it to program. Tried this
  1. Insert 1st Key. Turn to ON(RUN), wait for airbag light to turn off and remove
  2. Insert 2nd Key. Turn to ON(RUN), wait for airbag light to turn off and remove
  3. Insert NEW Key. Turn to ON(RUN), wait for ???
I never got the message saying key programming successful. ?

Also tried instructions that came with the key which was wait 3-10 sec for steps 1 and 2. Swap keys within 10 seconds.
New key for at least 6 sec then back to off
it took me three tries for the new fob. in my case, faster was better. put the 1st key in, turn to run without starting, then wait till chime goes off and airbag light goes away then remove and repeat with 2nd key, remove that and put in new key and wait till it says programming successful. it worked on mine. the next key i made was the plain chipped key and it worked the first time. so maybe go a little faster?? my truck is a 2021 XL. Which fob/key did you buy? The firs two times i tried it with my new fob t said key not detected or something.....after that, it worked.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
it took me three tries for the new fob. in my case, faster was better. put the 1st key in, turn to run without starting, then wait till chime goes off and airbag light goes away then remove and repeat with 2nd key, remove that and put in new key and wait till it says programming successful. it worked on mine. the next key i made was the plain chipped key and it worked the first time. so maybe go a little faster?? my truck is a 2021 XL. Which fob/key did you buy? The firs two times i tried it with my new fob t said key not detected or something.....after that, it worked.
I got the same chipped Key from Amazon. I do get the key not detected message. Will try again

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
also, make sure the key opens the door both ways meaning either side up....it should.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
also, make sure the key opens the door both ways meaning either side up....it should.
Checked and works
Was able to go thru the steps without getting no key detected, but still no joy.
I may need to go back to the locksmith as I just realized they destroyed my key and replaced it with "the same".
I am also 2019, but cannot beleive key programming would be possible on 2021 and not a 2019.

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
so make sure that you are in the truck with the doors closed. i was told that matters by locksmith but i was already closing the door when he said that.

i was in the truck, doors closed. doors unlocked. engine off. everything off.

put 1st key in ignition and turn all the way to on/run but not starting it. wait for the chime and light to go out. i think it was more like the light for the airbag thing. then take out, put second working key in there and repeat. take that out and then put new one in and turn it all the way like the others and wait. you have to go fast for the first two steps. my first two times i went slower and it did not work but i did get the "no key detected" warning those two times. then it worked on 3rd try.

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
and how did they destroy your key and they actually replaced one of your keys with one they had? seems sketchy to me. If they destroyed your key and replaced it with a fob but didn't program it, then it's a non-working key. You need 2 working fobs to do this. If they destroyed your original then they are going to have to program a new one by hooking up to the truck. That should be totally free for you. Tell me who i need to avoid.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
and how did they destroy your key and they actually replaced one of your keys with one they had? seems sketchy to me. If they destroyed your key and replaced it with a fob but didn't program it, then it's a non-working key. You need 2 working fobs to do this. If they destroyed your original then they are going to have to program a new one by hooking up to the truck. That should be totally free for you. Tell me who i need to avoid.
I think it was the new kid. It wasn't a fob just the chipped spare key LINK. They then cut a non-chipped "practice Key" to confirm they had the right cutting setup. Then cut me a new chipped key, looks same as what I got off Amazon. But....
Now do you have auto start? I dont see why that would be different WRT the chip. I do know the fobs are a different frequency for with and w/o auto start.

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
i do not have autostart from the fob. If you got the same fob i got, you got the wrong key fob. You needed to look at the key fob for sale and compare to yours........that can explain it.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
The difference is in the details. What is the part number of the keys that work.