How to clean your engine, to a show room shine, in 10 minutes... Engineers will scream!! LMAO ?

OP
OP
Project Midnight

Project Midnight

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 2019 Ford Ranger, 2012 VW Golf R Stage 2+, VW Tiguan Stage 1, VW 1958 Bug, 1776cc Stroker Motor, VW 2008 beetle, BMW 2012 K1600GTL, 2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Vehicle Showcase
Using an old school car wash ?

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
I keep mine hosed off, and once dry I spray no touch tire foam on anything black (excluding coils, exhaust etc.) Once dry it looks brand new.

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
I had a Yukon XL detailed at the dealer a fews ago. They cleaned the engine bay too. A week later I received a check engine light. I can't remember exactly but something electronic failed. The service tech called me up when they discovered the problem. They chastised me for cleaning the engine bay. I notified them that THEY cleaned it a week before. They replaced the device. The service tech I spoke with ran away when I picked it up. I talked to another tech who was writing it up and I knew. I told him what was going on but he already knew. I told him to give me one good reason why the device would have failed without the cleaning. I told him that I wouldn't press the point if he gave me a good reason. He did and I chuckled and paid the bill. I was in a good mood that day.:)

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
In the 80's, when I was in the Army, we had Chevy Blazers with diesel engines, CUCV's. Brand new vehicles with only a few dozens of miles on them. I was in a Patriot missle battery, so everything was brand spanking new. We would take the equipment out into the field and run it until it broke, then the contractors from Raytheon would try to figure out why it broke and fix it. After one of these FTX's, we were in the wash racks washing mud and dust from the vehicles and one of the junior NCO's turned a high pressure washer on into the engine bay of her CUCV to get the mud and muck out and filled the engine full of water. The engine had to be replaced. Shortly after a TSB was issued saying to use a dry cloth to clean the engine bay. i've been hesitant to hose out an engine bay ever since.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
I have serious OCD but am hesitant to get 'too aggressive' on under hood cleaning. In my automotive days I saw what happens when some stuff gets wet that does not like to. If its really needed to find a leak or remove an oil spill I cover the alternator and other items, spray down with degreaser then lightly hose off. I have a 80 gallon 2 stage compressor I can blow-dry it before restarting. No one is going to see your engine and you dont get points for being able to eat off of it..
JMO

DanaBovender

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
From the Florida Panhandle Residing in Germany
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Gov Employee
I have serious OCD but am hesitant to get 'too aggressive' on under hood cleaning. In my automotive days I saw what happens when some stuff gets wet that does not like to. If its really needed to find a leak or remove an oil spill I cover the alternator and other items, spray down with degreaser then lightly hose off. I have a 80 gallon 2 stage compressor I can blow-dry it before restarting. No one is going to see your engine and you dont get points for being able to eat off of it..
JMO
Once while on a surf trip I forgot one bean burrito double wrapped in foil on my intake.
It's how we used to heat those nasty El Patio frozen burritos, double wrap in foil, put them on the intake and drive for an hour...hot and ready.
Well I forgot one and found out a week later that it blew hot beans and cheese all over my top end.....took some serious wire brushing to get that crap off my carb linkage...what a mess....

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
Once while on a surf trip I forgot one bean burrito double wrapped in foil on my intake.
It's how we used to heat those nasty El Patio frozen burritos, double wrap in foil, put them on the intake and drive for an hour...hot and ready.
Well I forgot one and found out a week later that it blew hot beans and cheese all over my top end.....took some serious wire brushing to get that crap off my carb linkage...what a mess....
did that once with a precooked rack of pork ribs! works great! You shuld'a just broke out a bag of nacho chips and had a snack! I bet it was one hell of a mess...:facepalm:

OP
OP
Project Midnight

Project Midnight

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 2019 Ford Ranger, 2012 VW Golf R Stage 2+, VW Tiguan Stage 1, VW 1958 Bug, 1776cc Stroker Motor, VW 2008 beetle, BMW 2012 K1600GTL, 2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Vehicle Showcase
I keep mine hosed off, and once dry I spray no touch tire foam on anything black (excluding coils, exhaust etc.) Once dry it looks brand new.
I’ll have to try that, after I clean the engine, degreaser, foaming brush, no spot rinse etc, while the engine is still wet, I soak it down with high gloss Armor All, close the hood, and drive home... when I get home, I open my hood, and the engine is all shiny... just wipe it down as needed... ?

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
I clean mine off every oil change, unless we go on an adventure. Then I do it after that.
I mask off the alternator and seal off the intake, then the visible connectors. Light pressure ( almost a mist) of water, then soap it down with low pressure. Use a soft brush to get the cracks. Rinse off with low pressure. Use compressed air to clear the water out of tight areas.

Then applied good ole Aerospace 303, wiped/brushed off excessive amounts.

IMG_3746.jpg

IMG_3744.jpg

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
I cleaned my for the first time a few weeks ago and used Bike Bright cleaner, the same one I use on my bikes with only the house hose.

Looked like new even without ArmorAll.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
I clean mine off every oil change, unless we go on an adventure. Then I do it after that.
I mask off the alternator and seal off the intake, then the visible connectors. Light pressure ( almost a mist) of water, then soap it down with low pressure. Use a soft brush to get the cracks. Rinse off with low pressure. Use compressed air to clear the water out of tight areas.

Then applied good ole Aerospace 303, wiped/brushed off excessive amounts.

IMG_3746.jpg

IMG_3744.jpg
Looks very nice.
I'm just not brave enough to spray under the hood.
Sponsored