TONTO

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Westin oval nerf bars on my truck that appear to be stainless steel. I washed my truck today but the nerf bars look very dirty despite washing them They almost look like water stains but they are much hardier. Some come off with a little elbow grease but a lot do not. I was wondering if using a clay bar might be the best idea or even some fine steel wool. Any advice would be appreciated.
IMG_2820[1].JPG
Sponsored

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man

Pinepig

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last count was 12
Occupation
lol
000 steel wool would make short work of that.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Tony's right - nevr-dull is great stuff. I've also had very good results with Autosol metal polish.

If you make either of these part of your regular cleaning, those nerf bars will look new for years. They both also bead water very nicely.

OP
OP
TONTO

TONTO

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well, unfortunately the Nevr-dull and even steel wool didn't touch it. ? It looks like it should just wipe off but it doesn't. I guess it's on to the next suggestion. I'm starting to think I may have to get some fine grinding/polishing discs that attaches to a grinder as I don' t think they are going to come off by hand. I sent an email into Westin with the picture and I'll see what they say before going that route.

OP
OP
TONTO

TONTO

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So I just found this on the manufacturer's website

CARE INSTRUCTIONSď‚·REGULAR WAXING IS RECOMMENDED. DO NOT USE ANY TYPE OF POLISH OR WAX THAT MAY CONTAIN ABRASIVES.ď‚·STAINLESS STEEL PRODUCTS CAN BE CLEANED WITH MILD SOAP AND WATER. STAINLESS STEEL POLISH SHOULD BE USED TO POLISH SMALL SCRATCHES.ď‚·GLOSS BLACK FINISHES SHOULD BE CLEANED WITH MILD SOAP AND WATER

Do you think S100 would meet those requirements?

Skeezix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
Electronic Tech
So I just found this on the manufacturer's website

CARE INSTRUCTIONSď‚·REGULAR WAXING IS RECOMMENDED. DO NOT USE ANY TYPE OF POLISH OR WAX THAT MAY CONTAIN ABRASIVES.ď‚·STAINLESS STEEL PRODUCTS CAN BE CLEANED WITH MILD SOAP AND WATER. STAINLESS STEEL POLISH SHOULD BE USED TO POLISH SMALL SCRATCHES.ď‚·GLOSS BLACK FINISHES SHOULD BE CLEANED WITH MILD SOAP AND WATER

Do you think S100 would meet those requirements?
Since it is designed to polish stainless
I'm going to say yes. But I have been
using it on my bikes for 30+ years.

Buddybiro

First Name
Buddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger xlt
Occupation
Retired
Use any kind of wadding polish, mothers wadding polish is what I have used with good luck.
NEVER USE STEEL WOOL OR ANYTHING ABRASIVE!

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
Well, unfortunately the Nevr-dull and even steel wool didn't touch it. ? It looks like it should just wipe off but it doesn't. I guess it's on to the next suggestion. I'm starting to think I may have to get some fine grinding/polishing discs that attaches to a grinder as I don' t think they are going to come off by hand. I sent an email into Westin with the picture and I'll see what they say before going that route.
Before you go with a grinder, give this a try. I have had great results with dings ans scratches in paint. Maybe it can take those spots out. Scratch Doctor

As a last result, try white vinegar in case those are calcium deposits.

jss81258

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Occupation
Fixed equipment inspector
In the chemical industry, we never, ever work on stainless steels with carbon steel tools or even stuff like sandpaper that has been used on carbon steel. The carbon steel can become embedded in the stainless steel and cause rust.

Be careful using anything stiff like a power disk. You'll likely grind flat spots.

Were it me, I'd probably try some sort fine paper like 2000 grit. Use it like shining shoes. Once the spots are removed, shine with metal polish. I would probably try paint swirl remover with a foam disk on a power polisher, mostly because I have all of it.

Not saying this will work, it's what I would try based on pics and stuff you've already tried.

Good luck!
Sponsored