How much squat at max payload?

Elgorr4

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XL
Hi I need to pick up a load of dirt for a small gardening project, but have no way of weighing the dirt or the truck before/after (just getting free fill dirt from a fb marketplce ad, not a landscape company). I am wondering if anyone has loaded a known ~1400lbs load in the bed of their stock, non fx4 scab and measured squat before and after. I figure it could give me a rough guess of where I am at to just measure the squat with a tape measure. Really don't want to overload the truck too much. I have a 2021 stx Scab 4x4. Door sticker says 1619 lbs payload.
Sponsored

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
Don't over-think this.

The trucks rated for 1619, putting 1400 in the back will be fine as long as you and fuel come to less than 219 lbs. Honestly even slightly over is fine.

OP
OP
Elgorr4

Elgorr4

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XL
Don't over-think this.

The trucks rated for 1619, putting 1400 in the back will be fine as long as you and fuel come to less than 219 lbs. Honestly even slightly over is fine.
If I knew it weighed 1400lbs I would not be worried at all, but I will be shoveling dirt into the bed and have no way of knowing when I hit max payload, which is why I want to get some metric to determine how loaded the truck is and I think squat might work. Dirt is heavy and I just don't want to fill the bed up and have it be 2k without knowing.

dcg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCab
Not a perfect match for your situation, but as a data point:

2019 scab xlt fx4, rears replaced with Eibachs, 1,549 lbs max per door sticker

Empty bed other than tonneau and bed mat (~100 lbs): 38” to top off wheel well

With just over 1,000 lbs total in bed: 36.25”

At max: 35.5”

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
If I knew it weighed 1400lbs I would not be worried at all, but I will be shoveling dirt into the bed and have no way of knowing when I hit max payload, which is why I want to get some metric to determine how loaded the truck is and I think squat might work. Dirt is heavy and I just don't want to fill the bed up and have it be 2k without knowing.
Right on, I see what you mean now. Lack of coffee lol.

I do know a yard of dirt generally weighs a ton or a touch over.. depends If it's rained recently or not lol.

chrisakz

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Supercab XLT FX4
Don't over-think this.

I like your keep it simple attitude. To get an exact measurement WOULD take some overthinking in this case lol and a scale of some sort.. weigh an individual shovel full and keep track if OP is really worried about it.. or just go till you feel comfortable

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
I have had well stacked unseasoned maple firewood that was pretty high in the bed. I measured about 2.5" or so of squat. Would not want to haul it very far though.

OP
OP
Elgorr4

Elgorr4

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XL
Sounds like 2 inches is a good estimate of safety. Not trying to overthink it, trying to think it just enough. Thanks to those with serious answers!

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Yep, just watch the bump stops. Be careful on dips and bumps. Load it at the front of the bed, work your way back.
Just watch the bump stops so they are not hitting when stationary.
Use that damper to your advantage!

McDeuce

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
A thought … count shovels dirt into a 5 gallon bucket and weight the bucket. Then count how much you shovel into truck ..

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
<snip> ... wondering if anyone has loaded a known ~1400lbs load in the bed of their stock, non fx4 scab and measured squat before and after. I figure it could give me a rough guess of where I am at to just measure the squat with a tape measure. Really don't want to overload the truck too much. I have a 2021 stx Scab 4x4. Door sticker says 1619 lbs payload.
As it happens, I loaded mine up to 1800 or so just couple days ago. (Yep, a bit over spec, but not too much) I didn't measure the droop, but I took pics. Mine is a 2021 SCAB STX 4x4 with 18" wheels and 265/60R18 Stock Hankooks. No suspension mods. It's loaded with 26 boxes of tile @ 70.8 lb per box (plus about 150 lb of tools in the back seat). When they lowered the pallet into the bed it seemed like it drooped a lot, but it still looks pretty much level in the pics. Somebody later in the thread said 5" droop is normal for max load, but I don't know how he knows, whether measured or SWAGed.
Anyway here's the thread with pics.
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...h-your-ranger-today.8810/page-155#post-402136

Last edited:
OP
OP
Elgorr4

Elgorr4

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XL
Whelp, the guy with the dirt turned out to have a skid steer, and I took two scoops of dirt. Measured from the reciever hitch it dropped 4 inches. It was sitting on the bump stops but pretty sure they are dynamic stops because bouncing on the tailgate it still moved quite a bit so I had some travel left. Luckily the guy was only 10 minutes away and I didn't need to go more than 25mph to get home. Took it real easy and had no trouble. I'm 99% sure it was over payload but oh well, no damage done and it isn't something I'll be doing every day.

20220410_162840.jpg

20220410_163003.jpg
Sponsored