How much side-to-side tilt?

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Curious how many degrees of side tippiness people have recorded on their rigs when off-road. I think the max I've seen was about 9-10° when parked sideways on a steep hill.

I know every vehicle will have different limits and no circumstance exactly the same, but trying to find out what the general limits are before I reach them.
Sponsored

OP
OP
CO2Ranger

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I haven't done enough off road to test either.

When you tip over you've gone too far. o_O
Lol. I'd rather not read the dash as I tumble. There's enough "pucker factor" on some of these trails as it is.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I haven't been on many trails out here where there was a steep side to side angle. The ones I've been on are usually a steeper incline/decline. But I do agree if I were at a steep side angle the last thing I'd be doing is looking at my dash. lol

We were out in Durango/ Silverton CO 2 summers ago and did the Alpine loop and some others off it with a side x side. Now there are some good ones out there to test that 'pucker factor". I'm looking forward to going back there next year with the Bronco on our return trip. Are you anywhere near that area?

What a great area!

IMG_1090-1.JPG

IMG_1097.JPG

IMG_1138.JPG

OP
OP
CO2Ranger

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Were hoping to camp down that way either this year or next. It's a solid 6ish hours from us so we don't head that way often.

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
I've seen 18 degrees on mine a couple times, and I know it went a tiny bit farther once but I got too nervous to keep looking. The truck felt absolutely stable, but the angle was still pretty terrifying.

Also, I'll add:
I saw 25 once on the bubble meter on my old Isuzu Trooper, which had a big heavy roof tent on it, it felt like it was on the verge of tipping over, but didn't. Pretty confident the Ranger will go farther than that, depending on how much weight is on the roof of course.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CO2Ranger

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
according to this, Ford did the 2019 off road course demo's at 22 degrees.

1625050626621.png
Good find! I feel less worried about my 8-10° now. Not sure I'd take it as far as 20° but good to know.

OP
OP
CO2Ranger

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i had trouble finding pics of it. but i'm pretty sure the promotional video showed them navigating it.
i'd likely sob uncontrollably at anything over 5 degrees
I was getting close at the 8-10° for sure!

OP
OP
CO2Ranger

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I found a video (excuse the narration and ads: not my video).
Ford Course Demo

Mastodon

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2020 Explorer Limited
Not off road, not side-to-side, and not in the Ranger, but our Explorer saw 12° on some of the hills in San Francisco last week. They certainly seem steeper than what the gauge shows.

77FC6F5D-EB54-4B69-AE87-52800482E6E0.jpeg

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Recently I got my Ranger to get sideways a bit!! If I remember correctly I saw 20° sideways and 26° max going down an incline. Of course both were separate time!!

Mcssls

I haven't been on many trails out here where there was a steep side to side angle. The ones I've been on are usually a steeper incline/decline. But I do agree if I were at a steep side angle the last thing I'd be doing is looking at my dash. lol

We were out in Durango/ Silverton CO 2 summers ago and did the Alpine loop and some others off it with a side x side. Now there are some good ones out there to test that 'pucker factor". I'm looking forward to going back there next year with the Bronco on our return trip. Are you anywhere near that area?

What a great area!

IMG_1090-1.JPG

IMG_1097.JPG

IMG_1138.JPG
I’m only about 4 hrs from there. I may have to go do that. And the million dollar highway

KNI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2021
Ford brochure says maximum tilt angle 35' degrees (unloaded).

Or about twice that of the average driver.

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL FX4 Supercab
Occupation
Healthcare
Curious how many degrees of side tippiness people have recorded on their rigs when off-road. I think the max I've seen was about 9-10° when parked sideways on a steep hill.

I know every vehicle will have different limits and no circumstance exactly the same, but trying to find out what the general limits are before I reach them.
we go far beyond that regularly and it took a couple trips to know it was going to be fine and for us to stop stressing. it helps to park where you feel uncomfortable and get out and look at the truck from front and back. you see immediately that you likely have a wide margin before you roll visually.

that is assuming a slow controlled roll. i can imagine that at 15-20degrees if you hit a bump at speed you could bounce up into the tipping point easily
Sponsored