How many miles before modding? Warranty concerns.

DocE3Gun

First Name
Dillen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Fx4
Occupation
self employed
How many miles are you guys putting on your trucks before changing suspension, tuners, and other items like that? I've always heard that most warranty issues arise in the first (I don't remember the number) miles, and after that, you're usually past the window where factory defects arise.

I have a black 2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 with black appearance package and around 4500 miles on it. I wish the white letters on the tires were on the inside, but otherwise I love the truck. Here's what is done so far:
-Decked system in the bed
-Diamondback HD cover
-Console Vault
-stubby antenna

Things I am considering:
-Ford Performance/Fox leveling kit .....I'm not a fan of the forward leaning stance
-Ford Performance Calibration kit .....who doesn't want more power
-Ford Performance Exhaust system .....it's the only exhaust I've heard on the Ranger that I liked the sound
-Dash camera

I realize the dash camera should not cause warranty issues, but the other items should maintain my warranty for another 32,000 miles. I'd just need to read the fine print and see where I would have to get everything installed to maintain that.

Appreciate it. I've been lurking and reading on here for a few months after deciding to get this truck.
Sponsored

Dhass68

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Brake and Suspension mechanic
A tire shop can flip your tires so the white is on the inside

StarLord

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX4
most likely will have get all that stuff installed by a dealer to maintain factory warranty or the 36,000 one that comes with the Ford Performance parts.

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
Had under 10K miles on mine when I lowered the truck 2/4, added Wildtrak roof rails and instalked a JB4 tune.

In a pinch, I can return the suspension to stock and the JB4 was chosen because it can be easily removed so as not to gain the attention of the warranty voiding grinch.

Yea, if water damage should occur, the roof rails will likely get the blame hut hey!..I did drill holes on the roof after all!

OP
OP
DocE3Gun

DocE3Gun

First Name
Dillen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Fx4
Occupation
self employed
A tire shop can flip your tires so the white is on the inside
The white lettering facing out isn't enough of an annoyance to mess with having them flipped.....just one of the very few things I noticed.

most likely will have get all that stuff installed by a dealer to maintain factory warranty or the 36,000 one that comes with the Ford Performance parts.
That's what I thought the situation might be. Hopefully that's not a fortune, as they should all be relatively bolt-on or plug-n-play.

I've put a 6" lift on an F250 I owned, but it was well past the warranty, so no concerns then.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
How many miles are you guys putting on your trucks before changing suspension, tuners, and other items like that? I've always heard that most warranty issues arise in the first (I don't remember the number) miles, and after that, you're usually past the window where factory defects arise.

I have a black 2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 with black appearance package and around 4500 miles on it. I wish the white letters on the tires were on the inside, but otherwise I love the truck. Here's what is done so far:
-Decked system in the bed
-Diamondback HD cover
-Console Vault
-stubby antenna

Things I am considering:
-Ford Performance/Fox leveling kit .....I'm not a fan of the forward leaning stance
-Ford Performance Calibration kit .....who doesn't want more power
-Ford Performance Exhaust system .....it's the only exhaust I've heard on the Ranger that I liked the sound
-Dash camera

I realize the dash camera should not cause warranty issues, but the other items should maintain my warranty for another 32,000 miles. I'd just need to read the fine print and see where I would have to get everything installed to maintain that.

Appreciate it. I've been lurking and reading on here for a few months after deciding to get this truck.
So for the suspension just understand that as long as the kit you get isnt a cheap Chinese thing that causes problems you should be in good shape. I decided to go with Old Man EMU by ARB primarily because I wanted a lift over a level(and you can still do what you would prefer). Did it voild my warranty? No it did not. How did it not void the warranty? Well even though it did change the suspension geometry a little bit, it dit not require me to make any major modifications to the factory parts. All i had to do was install the kit and perform an alignment. Now Ford won't warranty Old Man EMU but ARB does have a similar warranty on thier suspension. Hope that part is answered.

Tuning, the fun stuff with magical unicorns(dont forget the rainbows and puppies lol). My advice if you decide to get any tune is to go with a proper tune. Can your warranty be voided from a tune? Yes and no. How? Well they have to first prove a tune caused the issue. Say your AC decided to take a shit on you. They wont look for a tune on that as a tune shouldn't even touch that to begin with. Now if the engine goes Kaboom then they will investigate to see what caused this, and yes they can see if you had a tune if you decided to go back to a stock tune. I would also suggest staying away from the JB4. The JB4 is whats known as a piggyback unit(also known as a liar). How? For example lets say the stock boost is 16 psi, well when it is at 14 psi the piggyback unit will tell the PCM it is at 10 or 12 psi(throwing a few numbers out my ass as you can see) so the wastegate will hold off on opening until the piggyback unit will say 16 psi. Now with that being said it will try to add fuel but how do you know it will add the correct amount of fuel? That is why I am for a good reputable tune. The Ford Performance Tune would be a good choice but be aware that you only get a performance tune so you dont get to tow with it unless you want problems. I myself went with Livernois. The tuner they have is the same tuner that Ford Performance uses but they have thier own tunes. Right now they give the high octane performance, low octane Performance and tow tunes. I run the tow tune being up here I the mountains of Colorado and it does well and I do t have to change tunes for when I do tow. Still your choice on where to go with this.

Last we have the awesomeness of exhaust. Now I haven't messed with any yet as I have other plans with my truck. Another thing is no cat back exhaust will cause a warranty to be voided since it doesn't effect the emissions of the vehicle and wont cause a huge drastic change in performance on the vehicle(not like a tune at least). Now if you change the Cat put for a high flow then you have a chance but it soinds like you arent going for that.

Hope this info helped you out.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Something I will also add as I just remembered. Any part from Ford Performance will go off the original start date of the vehicles warranty. So say you bought it January of 2019 then the warranty would be from when you bought the truck in January of 2019. Not from when you buy the part. One of the disclaimers from Ford Performance. That is the only downside I see from them.

OP
OP
DocE3Gun

DocE3Gun

First Name
Dillen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Fx4
Occupation
self employed
Lot of info there. Thank you.

Biggest downside of the Ford Performance Calibration Kit that concerns me is the mandated 91 octane all the time and no adjustability...and if damage would occur with lower octane fuel. I don’t plan to tow, I primarily use the bed as a gun vault for shooting competitions and training, so little concern there. It sounds like Livernois might be a good way to go, as I can’t find much Info with tuners that adapt like the factory “tune” when it notices higher/lower octane fuel. That would come in handy when the wife fills up with 87 octane, or when buddy offers to buy a tank of fuel on a road trip. Read something about a Roush tuner possibly adjusting to different fuel somewhere, but it was for a mustang ecoboost and now I can’t find it.

I’m unsure of what the difference between a lift and leveling would be. I don’t want to go high like I did with my F250, as I want it still in my garage, but would like the spacing to match front to back on the wheels to fenders. Primarily aesthetics if being honest, and will only benefit me when at competitions using natural terrain and needing to truck around the property, which is common with what I do.

Exhaust is a last priority, and unless it came as a package, would be the last installed. An aesthetic and auditory thing, as I’ve read Performance doesn’t seem to be helped much by it.

OP
OP
DocE3Gun

DocE3Gun

First Name
Dillen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Fx4
Occupation
self employed
Purchase was May of this year, I wouldn’t lose much.
My mileage since May was off, as I hit 5400 miles today, not 4500. Guess I had a little dyslexia.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lot of info there. Thank you.

Biggest downside of the Ford Performance Calibration Kit that concerns me is the mandated 91 octane all the time and no adjustability...and if damage would occur with lower octane fuel. I don’t plan to tow, I primarily use the bed as a gun vault for shooting competitions and training, so little concern there. It sounds like Livernois might be a good way to go, as I can’t find much Info with tuners that adapt like the factory “tune” when it notices higher/lower octane fuel. That would come in handy when the wife fills up with 87 octane, or when buddy offers to buy a tank of fuel on a road trip. Read something about a Roush tuner possibly adjusting to different fuel somewhere, but it was for a mustang ecoboost and now I can’t find it.

I’m unsure of what the difference between a lift and leveling would be. I don’t want to go high like I did with my F250, as I want it still in my garage, but would like the spacing to match front to back on the wheels to fenders. Primarily aesthetics if being honest, and will only benefit me when at competitions using natural terrain and needing to truck around the property, which is common with what I do.

Exhaust is a last priority, and unless it came as a package, would be the last installed. An aesthetic and auditory thing, as I’ve read Performance doesn’t seem to be helped much by it.
The cool thing about the tow tune from Livernois is it is a flex tune that adapts from 87-93. I still use premium(91 here) as i have notice the performance increase and the slight MPG gain(1-2 at best) so I figure its well worth the cost.

For the Old Man EMU lift it brings the front up by 2.4 inches and the rear by 1.6 inches. A leveling kit obly raises the front and a I want to say the Fox kit(Ford Performance) raises the front by 2 inches. I also have 265/70-17 Bridgestone Dueler Revo 3 tires and they are pretty sturdy. I have beent on nice jagged rocks and they didnt get scratched. Pictures will be at the bottom so you have an idea.

Hope that helps.

0509201513.jpg

0509201455.jpg

0509201243.jpg

0507201943_HDR.jpg

0507201943a.jpg

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
I would also suggest staying away from the JB4. The JB4 is whats known as a unit(also known as a liar). How? For example lets say the stock boost is 16 psi, well when it is at 14 psi the piggyback unit will tell the PCM it is at 10 or 12 psi(throwing a few numbers out my ass as you can see) so the wastegate will hold off on opening until the piggyback unit will say 16 psi. Now with that being said it will try to add fuel but how do you know it will add the correct amount of fuel? That is why I am for a good reputable tune.
These aere VERY valid concerns. And yes, I still chose the JB4. The JB4 does not "lie" about the knock sensor or oxygen sensors so all the OEM ignition and AFR mixture protocols remain in place.

If warranty issues were not a concern, I'd have taken the Livernois path too.

And, if the gains from both the Roush and Ford Performance were not laughable for the money, I'd have taken that path over the JB4 or the Livernois. But under 15 HP for the better part of a grand?????

Last edited:

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
175 miles.

OP
OP
DocE3Gun

DocE3Gun

First Name
Dillen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Fx4
Occupation
self employed
Oh damn......y'all are worse than me! haha

I ordered my Decked system, console vault, and Diamondback HD cover a week before I found the truck I wanted....but hadn't messed with the suspension or motor/electronics.

I'll stick with the leveling aspect for now. I don't really want the truck taller in the rear, I'm 5'9" tall and it would only make it a bigger headache to access stuff from the front half of the bed cover. I just prefer the added height in the front to match the tire to fender spacing and maybe give me a hair of front ground clearance.

I was thinking there may be a recommended mileage number where most defects or warranty issues are discovered by then. Like maybe 10,000 or 15,000 miles. Diving right in is about par for the course for me tho.

y2krtaf

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Aircraft mechanic
Didn’t even make it 200 miles.
Sponsored