How long did your OEM battery last on your 2019 XLT?

Deleted member 1634

Truck manufactured Jan 2019, purchased May 2019, currently sitting at ~70,000 miles. Still have the original battery with no issues whatsoever. I've actually never had to replace a battery in any vehicle I've ever owned. My 2001 Focus went for 15 years on the original battery.
Sponsored

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
AGM battery’s and heat don’t mix well. What you got for life is about average I think. I’m sure many of the Southern located folks can add more as to their experiences. If you can keep it from baking in the sun you should be way better off
Agree
I lived in FTW for 22 yrs. Bought 1 sealed battery and it died every year. pro-rated warranty replacement, but after a few replacements I realized the yearly cost was adding up. Switched to unsealed and added water each year - they lasted 5 plus years.
Then went with an Optima in my Jeep, No issues - but expensive!

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Still have my original (2019) as well. Odd thing is the ACC doesn't want to work more than it does.... battery related? Seems odd. I disabled auto stop early on too.

From the sounds of it there isn't a 'better' battery available?

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Still have my original (2019) as well. Odd thing is the ACC doesn't want to work more than it does.... battery related? Seems odd. I disabled auto stop early on too.

From the sounds of it there isn't a 'better' battery available?
That was the start of my battery demise. ACC stopped working and then I started getting a warning about the battery.

OP
OP
majorv

majorv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew
Occupation
Retired
I bought my 2019 ranger in late Dec 2019. I have 35K on it. The last few days when I park at work the radio kicks off after just 2 or 3 minutes an the phone charger does too. Today I tried to verify I locked it with the app an got a message remote functions not avail vehicle in deep sleep. Wonder if my battery is going away?
Yep, that’s how my problems started showing up. Two visits to the dealer got me nowhere because they said the battery didn’t “fail” their test.

OP
OP
majorv

majorv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Well, it sounds like from the replies that the heat can definitely hurt battery life. My truck is parked in the garage but between that and not driving it constantly…and the drain on the battery from all the gizmos on it, I guess that’ll do it. All I knew was that the OEM battery on my 2012 Avalanche lasted 5 years down here in the heat!

I thought about getting another Motorcraft battery but they only have a 2 year warranty. I had read on other threads about trying an H7 (Lariat) battery so that’s why I suggested it to the NTB guy.

Just a side question though, the service guy said that there is a small auxiliary battery that runs the Auto Start/Stop. Anybody heard that before?

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Just a side question though, the service guy said that there is a small auxiliary battery that runs the Auto Start/Stop. Anybody heard that before?
While this is apparently true for a lot of vehicles with ASS, I don't believe it applies to the Ranger.

Willis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Mine lasted 15000 miles. I usually disabled auto stop when I had my 2019. I didn’t disable it one day and in traffic when I let off the brake everything died. Got jumped and they said it was bad.

dguffin

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Corsair, 19 Ranger, 12 Boss, 08 Zuma
Occupation
Shop Foreman
Vehicle Showcase
I bought my Ranger in Dec 2019, though it was put in service as a loaner by the dealer in May 2019. Just a note, I live in “hot” Southeast Texas. I started having trouble with the battery in Oct ‘21. I finally got a Ctek battery maintainer and have been using it as needed. I am retired so I don’t drive it long distances very often…just local trips pretty much every day. I finally took It to be checked at NTB today, and low and behold, it needed to be replaced.

I got an Interstate with 3 yr free replacement warranty and I hope it lasts longer than the OEM! I asked them for the H7 battery that goes in the Lariat, but they came back and said it wouldn’t fit, so I got another H6. The truck has the 302a trim with Technology pkg so I’m sure that’s not helping.

Just curious if my experience with the OEM battery is typical.
My first battery lasted 10 days. I think I'm ready for a second one 3 1/2 years later.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
There is an earlier thread on batteries - someone identified that the AGM batt is charged to 80% by the vehicles system - this to protect it from heat damage as some types of batteries charge less efficiently the closer they become to fully charged. But this means that if you don't drive the vehicle much it can result in faster degradation that occurs with a partially charged battery. A trickle charge will help to negate that.
AGM batteries are supposed to be less prone to sulfation than wet cell lead acid batts and I've always was led to believe they can tolerate heat better than wet cell.

TOMDEE

Banned
Banned
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 lariat
Occupation
retired
these batteries only have a life between 3-5 years depending on what part of the world you live in. mines 3.5 years with 42,000. fingers crossed. Are the sealed gel batteries any better?

Jimmy07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL/STX
Original battery lasted 6 months. Replaced under warranty 2.5 years ago and going strong. Biggest benefit was that ASS stopped working are battery replaced.

OP
OP
majorv

majorv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I have another question. After the guy changed my battery I noticed my pre-set radio stations were still in memory & the clock was right (which seemed odd), and my car was still acting like it was conserving battery (audio off when I started the car as well as the cheap sounding seat belt chime). I thought, no problem, the BMS will reset overnight. Well, today it’s still doing it. I’ve tried the reset mentioned in other threads (ignition to on, flash lights, pump brakes), did it several times, and the battery symbol never flashed. Am I going to have to take it to the dealer??

jeb134

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Bought the truck in October 2019 and had it go out last month, replaced it under warranty.

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
AGM battery’s and heat don’t mix well. What you got for life is about average I think. I’m sure many of the Southern located folks can add more as to their experiences. If you can keep it from baking in the sun you should be way better off
I thought AGM were better for extreme temps? My last truck had an 11 year old optima. Lived last 2 years in AZ.
Sponsored