How long did your OEM battery last on your 2019 XLT?

majorv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew
Occupation
Retired
I bought my Ranger in Dec 2019, though it was put in service as a loaner by the dealer in May 2019. Just a note, I live in “hot” Southeast Texas. I started having trouble with the battery in Oct ‘21. I finally got a Ctek battery maintainer and have been using it as needed. I am retired so I don’t drive it long distances very often…just local trips pretty much every day. I finally took It to be checked at NTB today, and low and behold, it needed to be replaced.

I got an Interstate with 3 yr free replacement warranty and I hope it lasts longer than the OEM! I asked them for the H7 battery that goes in the Lariat, but they came back and said it wouldn’t fit, so I got another H6. The truck has the 302a trim with Technology pkg so I’m sure that’s not helping.

Just curious if my experience with the OEM battery is typical.
Sponsored

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Mine was around the same, bought Dec 2019 w/ 2500 miles - lasted a yr or yr 1/2. Replaced under warranty and still going strong.
I think part of it was I was not driving the 1st year.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
AGM battery’s and heat don’t mix well. What you got for life is about average I think. I’m sure many of the Southern located folks can add more as to their experiences. If you can keep it from baking in the sun you should be way better off

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I'm at about 3 1/2 years now and still on the original battery - no signs of issues at this point, but we don't typically get a lot of heat here. I also ordered my truck so it didn't sit for a long period of time before someone bought it.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Bought mine new in December 2019.

Battery had to be replaced earlier this year.

Everything still worked but the ASS stopped working which is kind of the Canary in the Coal Mine for the battery on these.

I'm in GA so not really a hot climate, but I also primarily drive short trips of 10 minutes or less.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

Original battery....Three months. Replacement going strong for over 3 years. Battery quality of OEM supplier is suspect...

Best,
Phil

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I bought my 2019 ranger in late Dec 2019. I have 35K on it. The last few days when I park at work the radio kicks off after just 2 or 3 minutes an the phone charger does too. Today I tried to verify I locked it with the app an got a message remote functions not avail vehicle in deep sleep. Wonder if my battery is going away?

Azhang253

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
Occupation
Network Engineer
I wonder if batteries are just crappier now, or maybe vehicles have more idle draw. Maybe start-stop? I see multiple people on both this forum and the Honda CRV forums saying their OEM batteries only lasted 2-3 years.

I've had the OEM battery in my 2017 JK without any issue, and honestly, it's been through like 3 Mi winters not being driven or even hooked up to a tender (out of both lazyness and all my tenders were used on my 2 motorcycles and mower).

My XJ has had the cheapest walmart battery in it for 4 years without issue as well.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Purchased Sept 28, 2019 - battery failed in the summer of 2020 - sometimes, batteries are just bad. ?‍♂

Replaced under warranty - no trouble ever since - not with anything. ?

sandog

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew Cab Hot Pepper
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My battery died at 2 years and 20K.
I remember a decent battery lasting 4 years, maybe 2 years is the new norm, especially for warmer climates like the one I live in.

Fritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XL
I bought my Ranger in Dec 2019, though it was put in service as a loaner by the dealer in May 2019. Just a note, I live in “hot” Southeast Texas. I started having trouble with the battery in Oct ‘21. I finally got a Ctek battery maintainer and have been using it as needed. I am retired so I don’t drive it long distances very often…just local trips pretty much every day. I finally took It to be checked at NTB today, and low and behold, it needed to be replaced.

I got an Interstate with 3 yr free replacement warranty and I hope it lasts longer than the OEM! I asked them for the H7 battery that goes in the Lariat, but they came back and said it wouldn’t fit, so I got another H6. The truck has the 302a trim with Technology pkg so I’m sure that’s not helping.

Just curious if my experience with the OEM battery is typical.
Has anyone tried to fit the H7 in a non Lariat?
Does it really need to be agm?

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
My battery died at 2 years and 20K.
I remember a decent battery lasting 4 years, maybe 2 years is the new norm, especially for warmer climates like the one I live in.
Years ago, I had a DieHard that lasted over 10 years in my Land Cruiser. That was in both south Texas (Galveston/Houston) and north Texas (Dallas area).

Super simple electrics on that 1972.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
No battery* lives longer than 2 years in Arizona. Especially in a vehicle that's parked outside and driven on weekends. Mine died just short of the 2 year mark.

Noted Exception* Optimas USE to when they were made in Colorado. When production moved to Mexico they took the opportunity to cheapen the supplies and now they die too at two years.
Sponsored