How do you take off a Ford Ranger steering wheel and airbag (2019-2022)?

Flowgod

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XL
Hey guys,
I recently replaced my steering wheel and wanted to share how to do this. There is almost no info I could find about it so I took pictures along the way to show you guys if you need to do this at some point.

*Disconnect the battery*
-
Undo metal pins holding air bag in place
Red circles are the pins that need to be pushed in. The blue arrows are how you access the pins. There are two small holes on each side of the wheel to stick a tool in and push the pin to release the air bag. This is the hardest part of this process.
-
IMG-5348.JPG

Undo connectors and pull out the air bag
-
IMG-5346.JPG

-
Undo Large Torx bolt holding steering wheel in place and undo the connectors
-
IMG-534811new.jpg

And that is about it. I took out all of the internals and transfered them to my new steering wheel and it wasnt hard to do at all. I hope this helps out.

More pics​

IMG-5352.JPG

-​
IMG-5351.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

Synfulz

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Diesel :)
Occupation
Retired Powerplant Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Replaced steering wheel as in aftermarket or needed to replace factory one?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Great write up Seth. It will be very helpful to others looking to remove/replace theirs.

Synfulz

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Diesel :)
Occupation
Retired Powerplant Operator
Vehicle Showcase
I replaced mine with a carbon wheel from socal garage works. I ordered it in may and just got it yesterday.

68014136187--5EC61ACE-E33A-4E45-B875-1F1386E7D650.JPG

newhwell.jpg
That looks great. Love it. How much?

OP
OP
Flowgod

Flowgod

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XL
That looks great. Love it. How much?
I bought it for around 650. I got the core exchange which is 100 bucks, so hopefully after all said and done it costed around 550.00.

MrBirdman330

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XL STX Special Edition
Occupation
Letter Carrier
Hey guys,
I recently replaced my steering wheel and wanted to share how to do this. There is almost no info I could find about it so I took pictures along the way to show you guys if you need to do this at some point.

*Disconnect the battery*
-
Undo metal pins holding air bag in place
Red circles are the pins that need to be pushed in. The blue arrows are how you access the pins. There are two small holes on each side of the wheel to stick a tool in and push the pin to release the air bag. This is the hardest part of this process.
-
IMG-5348.JPG

Undo connectors and pull out the air bag
-
IMG-5346.JPG

-
Undo Large Torx bolt holding steering wheel in place and undo the connectors
-
IMG-534811new.jpg

And that is about it. I took out all of the internals and transfered them to my new steering wheel and it wasnt hard to do at all. I hope this helps out.

More pics​

IMG-5352.JPG

-​
IMG-5351.JPG
What tool did you use to stick through the holes and push the clips holding the air bag? I'm contemplating doing a wheel wrap.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Sort of related, can anyone direct me to the wire that clicks our high beams on via the steering wheel left hand stick?

I need to tap it for a trigger wire to a relay for my forward rack and bumper lights.

Edit: Or I am going to hi-jack one of the numerous buttons I don't use on the steering wheel.

OP
OP
Flowgod

Flowgod

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XL
What tool did you use to stick through the holes and push the clips holding the air bag? I'm contemplating doing a wheel wrap.
I ended up using a small flat head screw driver. If you have anything that has a flat surface with a little step in it that would be best. I asked someone before I did mine and they told me they used a welding rod.

Last edited:

LB'sTremor

First Name
Loren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Iconic Lariat Tremor
Occupation
IT
ohh that's nice!!! $550 is a tough pill to swallow so it's down a couple notches on my list...

LB

MrBirdman330

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XL STX Special Edition
Occupation
Letter Carrier
I ended up using a small flat head screw driver. If you have anything the has a flat surface with a little step in it that would be best. I asked someone before I did mine and they told me they used a welding rod.
I have a trim removal set so then I may have something that could work out that. That at least gives me a starting point.

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
Sort of related, can anyone direct me to the wire that clicks our high beams on via the steering wheel left hand stick?

I need to tap it for a trigger wire to a relay for my forward rack and bumper lights.

Edit: Or I am going to hi-jack one of the numerous buttons I don't use on the steering wheel.
There is not one there, the Steering Column Control Module (SCCM) uses the HS2 CAN to communicate control inputs to the related modules on the network. In the case of the high beams and the options on your truck it could have both the SCCM and IPM-A sending request to the GWM on HS2, the GWM than forwards those on HS1 to the BCM for action. If you are planning to run off road lights automatically when your high beams are on, I would wire a relay in like this.

The ground side of the relay coil I would run to a switch in the truck so you can disable the relay while on the road. An in-cabin indicator lamp between the switch and ground so you know the lights relay is being requested to be on would not be a bad idea, but it sounds like with the number of lights you want to add it should be obvious. On the other side of that relay coil tap a fused lead into the GY-BN (I think that is gray-brown) wire between BCM (C2280B-pin11) and left head light (C1021-pin3), or the VT-OG (maybe violet-orange) wire between BCM (C2280B-pin6) and right head light (C1041-pin3). Maybe if you have multiple relays tap into both sides.

The other option would be adding a device to one of the networks in the truck that those request pass through and monitor for high beam request. May need to monitor 2-3 messages on the network

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
There is not one there, the Steering Column Control Module (SCCM) uses the HS2 CAN to communicate control inputs to the related modules on the network. In the case of the high beams and the options on your truck it could have both the SCCM and IPM-A sending request to the GWM on HS2, the GWM than forwards those on HS1 to the BCM for action. If you are planning to run off road lights automatically when your high beams are on, I would wire a relay in like this.

The ground side of the relay coil I would run to a switch in the truck so you can disable the relay while on the road. An in-cabin indicator lamp between the switch and ground so you know the lights relay is being requested to be on would not be a bad idea, but it sounds like with the number of lights you want to add it should be obvious. On the other side of that relay coil tap a fused lead into the GY-BN (I think that is gray-brown) wire between BCM (C2280B-pin11) and left head light (C1021-pin3), or the VT-OG (maybe violet-orange) wire between BCM (C2280B-pin6) and right head light (C1041-pin3). Maybe if you have multiple relays tap into both sides.

The other option would be adding a device to one of the networks in the truck that those request pass through and monitor for high beam request. May need to monitor 2-3 messages on the network

...or I could just be lazy and tap the relay trigger wire to the hi beam socket at the headlamp. lol

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
...or I could just be lazy and tap the relay trigger wire to the hi beam socket at the headlamp. lol
Well, tapping the wire between the BCM and the headlight connection is about the same as that. But I still highly recommend having the switched ground to relay trigger so you can still use your road legal high beams independent of the aux lights while on the highway and such

XLT and me

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 xlt ranger 62 galaxie
Occupation
Truck driver
Looks great! Would be cool if someone made something for horn/button facia trim that looked a little sportier too. A good steering wheel definitely makes driving more enjoyable and looks good while doing it.
Sponsored