How do I clean engine coated in bauxite dust?

spieghts451

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger xlt supercrew
Occupation
Welder
Hello. I work at the nations only bauxite refinery. The bauxite dust is accumulating heavily on my 2019 ranger. I see bauxite in the ac vents, under the seat vents, and the engine is covered. I know this engine is turbo charged and I was wondering if I need to routinely clean parts of the motor. I know the ac condenser is turning orange. I assume the radiator is too. I had put a KN filter in but when I read they allow more air in I went back to motor craft. The entire top of engine is orange. Any advice would be appreciated. I don’t know how to was the engine without wetting electrical components.
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hello. I work at the nations only bauxite refinery. The bauxite dust is accumulating heavily on my 2019 ranger. I see bauxite in the ac vents, under the seat vents, and the engine is covered. I know this engine is turbo charged and I was wondering if I need to routinely clean parts of the motor. I know the ac condenser is turning orange. I assume the radiator is too. I had put a KN filter in but when I read they allow more air in I went back to motor craft. The entire top of engine is orange. Any advice would be appreciated. I don’t know how to was the engine without wetting electrical components.
Hi Jason,

You certainly have a unique environment for your Ranger. How other people take care of their vehicles? I believe there is a section in the owner's manual about protecting the electrics on the left front fender when pressure washing the motor and radiator/A/C condenser.

Hopefully others will add to this post....

best,
Phil

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Jason look through this thread here and it'll detail how to wash your engine bay. There's also some good products recommended in post #14.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/engine-wash-advice.13269/#post-260703

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Never mind the truck-do you have respiratory PPE?

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
I believe there is a section in the owner's manual about protecting the electrics on the left front fender when pressure washing the motor and radiator/A/C condenser.
All I found is this:

Under Hood
For removing black rubber marks from under the hood we recommend Motorcraft Wheel and Tire Cleaner or Motorcraft Bug and Tar Remover.

OP
OP

spieghts451

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Welder
Hi Jason,

You certainly have a unique environment for your Ranger. How other people take care of their vehicles? I believe there is a section in the owner's manual about protecting the electrics on the left front fender when pressure washing the motor and radiator/A/C condenser.

Hopefully others will add to this post....

best,
Phil
[/QUOTE

OP
OP

spieghts451

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Welder

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
That S100 is definitely what I need.
Several here have used it with great results. It's next on my list to buy and you don't want to see my engine bay right now. :shock: Let us know how it works out for you.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Since bauxite is very specific contaminant, have you asked your coworkers? Surely the mine has some vehicles, have you asked your site's mechanics?

Those sources can give you more specific information.

When I clean an engine bay I simply give it a liberal dousing of Simple Green, and rinse it off with a LOW PRESSURE hose. This might work for you, perhaps a light scrubbing with a brush before the rinse might be needed.

The only bauxite specific cleaner I found with a cursory Google search is corrosive to Aluminum, which makes sense since Aluminum oxide comes from bauxite. Don't use Chemo Bauxite Remover.

Also, as I'm sure you're aware bauxite is quite toxic, be safe. Both at work and cleaning your truck.

Personally, I'd look at picking up a $1000 shitbox for commuting to work. That is, once you can buy a shitbox for $1000 again.

OP
OP

spieghts451

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Welder
Since bauxite is very specific contaminant, have you asked your coworkers? Surely the mine has some vehicles, have you asked your site's mechanics?

Those sources can give you more specific information.

When I clean an engine bay I simply give it a liberal dousing of Simple Green, and rinse it off with a LOW PRESSURE hose. This might work for you, perhaps a light scrubbing with a brush before the rinse might be needed.

The only bauxite specific cleaner I found with a cursory Google search is corrosive to Aluminum, which makes sense since Aluminum oxide comes from bauxite. Don't use Chemo Bauxite Remover.

Also, as I'm sure you're aware bauxite is quite toxic, be safe. Both at work and cleaning your truck.

Personally, I'd look at picking up a $1000 shitbox for commuting to work. That is, once you can buy a shitbox for $1000 again.

OP
OP

spieghts451

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Welder
Thanks for going to trouble of researching. The company trucks don’t last long here. Neither do side by sides. I want my ranger to last at least 350,00. I got more than that out of my 2004 Nissan Frontier. I trust ford quality over Nissan. But the frontier never saw bauxite.